New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good they didn't touch the helmet, yet should've tried a workmark'd logo with a small helmet inside... I'm thinking how they use pucks & balls for NHL & NBA/MLB logos with nicknames in the logos... Browns could use their helmet instead of a ball.

I dunno... 98 pages for the Cleveland Browns? lols

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On one hand, I am very happy the helmet didn't receive any absurd changes.

On the other hand, I am extremely bummed out that the Browns didn't use this opportunity to design an actual logo to represent the team. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Again, what do you use to represent a team named the Browns, and don't tell me its a goddamn bulldog, that thing doesn't even represent the entire fanbase.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I guess I'll clarify my reasons and reactions regarding my thoughts on their release and the final product.

I'm in my final semester of college--Bachelor's of Business Administration in Marketing.

I will say this--a "brand" is more than what Webster's Dictionary says it is--at least in terms of marketing (or in terms of how I've learned).

According to the text for my "Advertising Strategy" class--

-"Making cues and images are what marketing communication delivers to brands"

-"A brand is a basically perception loaded with emotions and feelings"

-“A brand transforms products into something more meaningful than the product itself.”

This part stood out to me the most:

Successful brands:

-Are distinctive

-Create an association

-Offer a benefit

-Carry a heritage

-Are simple

-Are often based on a distinctive graphic: a logo, trademark, character or other visual cue

In posting that, I'm just trying to justify MY reasoning as to why my stance is the way it is.

Yes they said it was a "rebrand." With what I understand about branding, they did rebrand.

They very clearly changed the brand's mark--the helmet--by changing the color orange (which they say "matches the passion of the Dawg Pound") and changing the facemask to brown (which they cite as "represesnting the strength and toughness of Cleveland"). This is a rebrand because they are establishing an association among the city and the logo, using colors as cues. They are trying to establish a "perception loaded with emotions and feelings" as well as trying to "transform [the Browns brand] into something more meaningful than the product itself."

On top of that, they remained similar to previous logos (the helmet) by remaining distinctive--the only team with a blank helmet in the league, and the only team with a helmet acting as the primary logo. The logo still carries heritage. The logo is simple. And it still creates association.

Why ditch the helmet? IT IS THE BROWNS. What do people think of when they see that orange helmet with stripes? They think of the Browns--even if it pains them.

In addition, they have introduced a new Dawg Pound logo. What is the "Dawg Pound?" It's more than just a name for their seating section on one end of the field... It's the name for which Browns fans are affectionately known. The new Dawg Pound logo is new, it is distinct, and it creates association; fans can now use this distinctive character as their own--they are part of the Dawg Pound. This is far more important to Cleveland than people think, in my opinion. If anything, this is the logo fans will love. This is their logo.

And as I normally do now, I will close this by saying I'm not attacking anybody. These are still all my opinions, I'm just clarifying my reasoning for my opinions by using my education to back it up. I'm happy with the results of the rebrand, thus far. The identity is still recognizable to all, and meaningful to fans.

Bless you if you read all that.

This post is why every marketing program should be shot into the sun posthaste.

Let's pause and reflect on how you went massively into debt just to regurgitate that drivel.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So...I'm disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to come out with a proper logo. That being said? This could have been much, much worse. I really dislike the brown facemask (grey is my first choice, followed by white) but I'm digging the new orange. Should look great with the darker brown they've been using. So I'm a little disappointed, but mostly relieved.

Also lol reddit.

Perhaps this has been mentioned, but why couldn't they use a helmet with a more modern mask for their logo? That facemask hasn't been worn in at least 20 years and it screams WLAF. This would have been an a much better option IMO....

browns_new.png

Because it looks bad. The old helmet might be outdated but it's what most people think of when they imagine a football helmet.

Also as someone pointed out helmets are so over designed for trademarks that the Browns would probably have to license the use.

Someone else said it above and I wondered it aloud a couple of pages ago, why not just use a LOGO of an old vintage style helmet and not an ILLUSTRATION of one. All of the concepts I saw that did that looked pretty good and matched the classic imagery they're going for by using their helmet as a logo.

"Because it looks bad" is definitely an opinion. Seeing the new helmet in that style makes me like the look of it even more, but the logo in general is just bland and poorly executed. Brown facemask and color change is a plus; where they really messed up is changing recoloring the main helmet logo for the sake of not angering the fan base with too much change.

If they would have had an actual helmet on display to show what it looks like now that would have been a fantastic reveal and taken some of the attention away from the simple paint bucket fill but showing off that bland new logo and the new dawg by itself just really killed all the excitement that they could have had

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Perhaps this has been mentioned, but why couldn't they use a helmet with a more modern mask for their logo? That facemask hasn't been worn in at least 20 years and it screams WLAF. This would have been an a much better option IMO....

browns_new.png

Because that helmet is identifiable as a specific helmet from a specific manufacturer. The generic template they use is outdated, but unowned by any one else.

Actually not accurate. The helmet and mask the current browns logo is using is mid 80's riddell. It was the standard nfl helmet graphic for 20ish years. You can tell by the distinct lines of the shell and the mask.

On the other hand, I am extremely bummed out that the Browns didn't use this opportunity to design an actual logo to represent the team. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Again, what do you use to represent a team named the Browns, and don't tell me its a goddamn bulldog, that thing doesn't even represent the entire fanbase.

91-pile-of-poo.png

91-pile-of-poo.png

*Sigh*

A lot of Browns fans, especially on reddit, seem...really defensive when fans of other teams say the helmet-photo is dumb. I mean it has no character at all. As other people have posted, it's not impossible to have the logo be a helmet and give it character.

It's just so disappointing.

spacer.png

*Marketing*

This post is why every marketing program should be shot into the sun posthaste.

Let's pause and reflect on how you went massively into debt just to regurgitate that drivel.

Go ahead then and try to run a business without any form of marketing. And enjoy the debt you'll go massively into in the process.

browns_new.png

Because that helmet is identifiable as a specific helmet from a specific manufacturer. The generic template they use is outdated, but unowned by any one else.

Actually not accurate. The helmet and mask the current browns logo is using is mid 80's riddell. It was the standard nfl helmet graphic for 20ish years. You can tell by the distinct lines of the shell and the mask.

The mask in the current Browns logo is early 90s - that facemask was popular in 1990 (think Gill Byrd, Chargers) and especially popular in WLAF. Mid 80s Riddell is the more vertical helmet with the Elway/Montana style mask.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived