How Can I Fix this Logo?

ThePeam

I've been working on this logo for about two months now and I've decided to seek some pro comments and criticism. I cant figure out what I don't like about this logo (aside from the fact the bull has no ears).

Here it is C&C always appreciated...

BullsFinal04_CCSLC_zps6268059f.png

NEWSGG copy.png

Make the nose 70% smaller, widen the head a bit. Eyebrows. Maybe some split shading (like on one side mostly) but that should come near the end. The nostrils look like Quote Bubbles to me lol :P

Alright, I will give you the constructive criticism, and take nothing I may say personally, it's not to hurt your feelings or discourage you, we all have to learn somewhere and practice is what makes perfect. You are never too old or too talented to keep expanding your talents and knowledge and ability. Anyways, a few pointers to start. Use reference photos. Sure, 99% of the free world knows what a bull looks like from memory, but finding a few good photos (say from Google or Getty Images) will help you get more familiar with anatomy, where the light hits everything in a certain pose, different shapes from bull to bull. For example, a bull has a much, much wider "forehead" than the one you have illustrated. If you look at a bull's head in a face-to-face perspective, the head actually has a triangular shape, whereas your bull's head is pretty much rectangular. The horns tend to stretch outwards from the brow as opposed to curving up and out from the head as your bull's do. The brow line would follow parallel to the horns, therefor the bull's eyes would also. Your bull's eyes the appearance of being slanted. Again, mentally imagine grabbing your bull by the right horn and pulling it, stretching out your bull's face and you can see the eyes falling into place, everything goes right where it should. A bull's ears would rest directly below the horns, literally touching, and with yours not having any ears at all throws off the complete look of the animal (now keep in mind, be creative, I am sure there is some humanly way to pull off the look without the ears, you'd just have to play with it a bit). Now, just so you don't think "Well, :censored:, this is a giant piece of crap then!" there are positives to your piece as well. The mouth and muzzle of your bull look quite anatomically correct, just be very careful as they look almost identical to the Chicago Bulls' logo in the same region of the bull's head. You also have a very nice wordmark, I wouldn't touch that part of your logo a bit. Hope I helped and sorry it's long winded, but I'm detail oriented and I wanted you to look at things from all angles and see the areas of opportunity. It is more than a great start though and I can't wait to see the progression in your work.

UniJ

That part where the face gets narrow in towards the eyes is what kind of throws it off. If you just make that not touch the eyes and continue up to the top, I think that would improve the look a little. I'd also consider making the horns a touch longer, maybe as long as the BULLS wordmark under it.

Looks good though.

A few things. Maybe widen the head a smidgen?

Like you said, ears would help.

Eyes are kinda squinty. I kinda get an elderly vibe rather than intimidation.

What sport is this for? If basketball, I think it differentiates itself enough from Chicago.

Love the shading. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Wordmark and colours also look sharp.

Great potential this one's got. Good work Ryan!

A

You've If Read To Grinds Thread Lounge. Post Keep Guys!

Just on first view, it looks odd that the majority of the logo (head and wordmark) is a bit rounded, when the nose of the bull is very blocky. Other than that, I'm really not sure what else would help...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

what it is this butt ugly piece of bull :censored:?? U can go get some tissue and u should be able to wipe that away, but I don't think the air freshener will work. Maybe try taking a laxative so u can relax a bit and get it right...Let me know the results...

Alright, I will give you the constructive criticism, and take nothing I may say personally, it's not to hurt your feelings or discourage you, we all have to learn somewhere and practice is what makes perfect. You are never too old or too talented to keep expanding your talents and knowledge and ability. Anyways, a few pointers to start. Use reference photos. Sure, 99% of the free world knows what a bull looks like from memory, but finding a few good photos (say from Google or Getty Images) will help you get more familiar with anatomy, where the light hits everything in a certain pose, different shapes from bull to bull. For example, a bull has a much, much wider "forehead" than the one you have illustrated. If you look at a bull's head in a face-to-face perspective, the head actually has a triangular shape, whereas your bull's head is pretty much rectangular. The horns tend to stretch outwards from the brow as opposed to curving up and out from the head as your bull's do. The brow line would follow parallel to the horns, therefor the bull's eyes would also. Your bull's eyes the appearance of being slanted. Again, mentally imagine grabbing your bull by the right horn and pulling it, stretching out your bull's face and you can see the eyes falling into place, everything goes right where it should. A bull's ears would rest directly below the horns, literally touching, and with yours not having any ears at all throws off the complete look of the animal (now keep in mind, be creative, I am sure there is some humanly way to pull off the look without the ears, you'd just have to play with it a bit). Now, just so you don't think "Well, :censored:, this is a giant piece of crap then!" there are positives to your piece as well. The mouth and muzzle of your bull look quite anatomically correct, just be very careful as they look almost identical to the Chicago Bulls' logo in the same region of the bull's head. You also have a very nice wordmark, I wouldn't touch that part of your logo a bit. Hope I helped and sorry it's long winded, but I'm detail oriented and I wanted you to look at things from all angles and see the areas of opportunity. It is more than a great start though and I can't wait to see the progression in your work.

UniJ

I echo all of this info and add: Draw it out first (on paper). You can get a much better feel for how things should be positioned.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Make forehead and horns bigger, slim down the snout. The head of the bull IMO is to uniform in width, and the eyes are too small, he looks really sleepy right now (like me, after I've been studying for a test for 5 hours). Also, add a nose ring.

On a plus note, the font really good.

That's what- She

what it is this butt ugly piece of bull :censored:?? U can go get some tissue and u should be able to wipe that away, but I don't think the air freshener will work. Maybe try taking a laxative so u can relax a bit and get it right...Let me know the results...

Who do you think you are talking to another member who wanted CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM that way? That's not how things work on the boards, and if you think it is, you got another thing coming.

spacer.png

Who do you think you are talking to another member who wanted CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM that way? That's not how things work on the boards, and if you think it is, you got another thing coming.

Disturbs me how rude and ignorant some people can be...

Concept's good ,but I agree that the head should be wider and the nose narrower.

Archived