National Lacrosse League (NLL) Concepts: Buffalo and Rochester

MrWonka

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I close out a series that is well overdue. I will finish off the two teams that at the current time of this thread was the final two teams (yes I know there is a new team). Simple enough, the reason was due to me not really having any incentive to design lacrosse jerseys. I was not feeling it at the time. I had a little kick to do these teams, but don't expect any other updates from this point on. Please, as always leave your thoughts. Love to know what people think about designs that I'm not even sure of.

Rochester always seems to roll out a nice traditional jersey set with some crazy designs here and there. I try and mash the two together giving a nice sleek jersey but with traditional elements.

Rochester Knighthawks

Rochester.png

Buffalo Bandits

My hometown team. My favorite team. I was always a fan of their older looks. Their most recent doesn't fit my bill. However, I do like some of the elements on the new jersey. I try and mashup really, every era of Bandits jerseys into one set. I like it, do you?

Bandits.png

This leads us to the final images. The special event jerseys for the teams. The special event of the year for the NLL. Like the NHL, they take their chances on an outdoor game. You might be thinking .."and outdoor game, like the MLL". No silly, take the box game outdoors in the cold and battle it out in the elements. Lacrosse in snow? Well let's just say we worked it out in our imaginations that the field has a heated surface which the snow will melt. Will it still be a different surface? Sure, but you have to battle through that.

This game would be played on the first game of the regular season. Early January at night to get the rival Buffalo and Rochester crowd pumped.

Outdoor2.png

Outdoor.png

For those that followed the series during it's high time I thank you and hope you see this conclusions. For those who haven't seen the beginning of this may I urge you to check out the rest? It was a fun series for me to start. It got me out of my comfort zone and I think it was something different for the boards to see. I'm just happy I finally finished it, I never have to have that thought run through my mind anymore. Hoped you all enjoyed. Goodnight.

Quoting for the next page of the thread... Crazy going back and not liking my own designs.

Love it! Who's house? love the throwback though. it would be a nice addition to Banditland

Who's shed?

Rochester is perfection! and Those Outdoor jerseys have a nice vintage feel to them. Awesome work, too bad its over :P but you know the Wings moved to the middle of nowhere Connecticut lol, you could design that jersey - I believe you only did the Wings on this thread.

Yea I know, I mentioned them but I don't care enough to go back. I actually looked, I needed to do Vancouver. It's tough finding vector files for small leagues like this and I don't care enough to trace them.

Well how I do it - and its probably the wrong way - but I make aliased 1000x1000 versions on Paint.NET (or whatever) by filling the actual logo ripped from the internet with the same colours - adjusting the percentage of fill until all the colours are separated with no anti-aliasing. I then open the image on Inkscape and then I Trace Bitmap of the aliased image so it gets Vectorized. Then it looks like an almost perfect Vector image of whatever logo you wanted. It sounds complicated but can me done in 2 minutes or so. But it's not like you have to do it haha :P no worries.

• 4 months later...

May I inquire if there is access to the Swarm font? I have everyone else's. They're moving to Georgia, btw.

TrophyChronology.png

"If it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!"

​"Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?!"

-Marv Levy

May I inquire if there is access to the Swarm font? I have everyone else's. They're moving to Georgia, btw.

The actual Swarm font is Liquorstore, which is available online, albeit not for free (that I'm aware of, anyway). Don't know about the font used for the Swarm concept in this thread.

These look really nice, by the way. I don't see a New England Black Wolves one here though (the former Wings). Also, the Rush could be moving for next season too (even though they just won the NLL Champion's Cup).

CCSLC signature.png

I completely disagree on the Rochester throwback. It needs to be a replica of their original third jersey, imho the best ever NLL uniform. None of that tri-stripe nonsense. They've hardly used that.

Old%2BROC3.jpg

Today I close out a series that is well overdue. I will finish off the two teams that at the current time of this thread was the final two teams (yes I know there is a new team). Simple enough, the reason was due to me not really having any incentive to design lacrosse jerseys. I was not feeling it at the time. I had a little kick to do these teams, but don't expect any other updatesarrow-10x10.png from this point on. Please, as always leave your thoughts. Love to know what people think about designs that I'm not even sure of.

Rochester always seems to roll out a nice traditional jersey set with some crazy designs here and there. I try and mash the two together giving a nice sleek jersey but with traditional elements.

Rochester Knighthawks

Rochester.png

Buffalo Bandits

My hometown team. My favorite team. I was always a fan of their older looks. Their most recent doesn't fit my bill. However, I do like some of the elements on the new jersey. I try and mashup really, every era of Bandits jerseys into one set. I like it, do you?

Bandits.png

This leads us to the final images. The special event jerseys for the teams. The special event of the year for the NLL. Like the NHL, they take their chances on an outdoor game. You might be thinking .."and outdoor game, like the MLL". No silly, take the box game outdoors in the cold and battle it out in the elements. Lacrosse in snow? Well let's just say we worked it out in our imaginations that the field has a heated surface which the snow will melt. Will it still be a different surface? Sure, but you have to battle through that.

This game would be played on the first game of the regular season. Early January at night to get the rival Buffalo and Rochester crowd pumped.

Outdoor2.png

Outdoor.png

For those that followed the series during it's high time I thank you and hope you see this conclusions. For those who haven't seen the beginning of this may I urge you to check out the rest? It was a fun series for me to start. It got me out of my comfort zone and I think it was something different for the boards to see. I'm just happy I finally finished it, I never have to have that thought run through my mind anymore. Hoped you all enjoyed. Goodnight.

TrophyChronology.png

-Marv Levy

I'm going to play mini golf after I post this, so I'll be excited to see the replies when I get back!

Toronto Rock

For this one, there wasn't too much creativity for the jerseys. The Home and Road set are basically flipped and tweaked versions of their current. I changed the logo so that it's sharper. The only reason I don't think it's great is because it's a similar leaf that you see the hockey team Canada wear. I think with the sharper logo it gives the whole set a sharper and more intimidating feel to it. The smoothed edges on their currents makes the jerseys look so feminine in my honest opinion. The alternate is the only real 100% original idea for the team. I took the 'Rock' nickname and gave it a sharp edge again, but adding almost a rocky landscape to it. The special event might seem weird to some that don't follow the NLL, but their Hawaiian jersey night has always been an iconic jersey for me since I've been following the league. It's almost like a tradition. They need to wear it atleast once. Why they started it? I don't know, but I like it, so I kept it!!

zx8sr7.jpg

11cb3nk.jpg

How couldn't you love Hawai'ian night? You've got that spot on!

TrophyChronology.png

-Marv Levy

Another edit to Toronto's Alternate jersey. Thanks to 1clkgtramg for the logo. He re did the logo above and did a phenomenal job with such a low quality image.

2s65yjr.jpg

Here is the full sized logo:

idaw7t.jpg

Logo by: 1clkgtramg

Best version of the original logo and it isn't even official!

TrophyChronology.png

-Marv Levy

COL - Crag alt good, others too wispy for my liking. Overall a littile too sharp (striping, literally)

EDM - Rush was tough. like the rebrand but for the alternate, make the numbers regular so they don't get too lost.

PHI - Always good, but still at odds with Twitter jerseys . . .

MIN - I wish you'd kept the script above the logo, but I do like the tribute to the original jerseys for alternates.

TOR - Not sold on the Rock logo touch-up. I know you're trying to keep cooncept of home/road but not as good. Thank you for finally being someone else besides me to bring those back (MIN had one too) (the original teal alternates ROC had need to be the other)

CGY - Riggers are complete loss except for special. Alt logo needs an appearance somewhere also.

Rochester is near perfect except the retro (as discussed) and Buffalo, well . . . the home/road barely pass - better than what we've got now (except the championship stripes in the collar are good but need moving).

If you want ideas for Vancouver, I can help! Their current alternate logo is a better logo than any of their main logos since leaving San Jose. I also have "Ol' Snake Eyes" and cross-hair logos available.

Well, I honestly can say I've never seen a lacrosse thread on these boards. Maybe I've missed them, or maybe there just haven't been any. Anywho, I'm starting up one today!

After a quick google search for the type of jerseys the NLL uses I found the Projoy jersey site. On their site they had all of the jerseys from every NLL team, and it was presented in a template. Unfortunately I couldn't download the template so I had to draw it up in Illustrator. There was no back of the jersey, so I kind of had to go from site of the live action jerseys.

The first jersey is a generic NLL jersey. This is not how the final template looks because the shoulder design had to be changed.

I really hope to do every team (home, away, 3rd, and special event jersey) and maybe even some defunct teams and bringing them back into the league! There's nothing I'd like to see more than seeing the NLL become a popular sport, so I will probably expand the league a lot!

There may not be a lot of followers for this thread, but I know I will have fun switching up the type of sport I do!

Colorado Mammoth: Home&Away Alternate&Special

Edmonton Rush: Home&Away Alternate&Special

Philadelphia Wings: Home&Away Alternate&Special

Minnesota Swarm: Home&Away Alternates

Toronto Rock: Home&Away Alternate&Special

Calgary Roughnecks: Home&Away Alternate&Special

TrophyChronology.png

-Marv Levy

Archived