BMO Field

Jer15

I've heard that MLSE's initial plans call for Toronto FC to play no home matches in March of 2015 and March of 2016, as some BMO Field construction would be taking place during said time periods. Additionally, depending upon when TFC's season ended in 2014, 2015 and 2016, MLSE will also attempt to have construction take place as soon as the team's season concluded in the Fall for as long as weather permits.

It is all highly speculative at this point, but MLSE wants to be as aggressive as possible given the desire to have a good portion of the additional seating in place for the Pan Am Games rugby competition (July 2015), as well as the entire project completed in time to potentially host the NHL Winter Classic in conjunction with the Maple Leafs' 100th anniversary celebration season (2016-2017).

One small thing I just heard. MLSE wants the city and province to pay $30 mil of the estimated $120 mil that it will cost........

Seriously what's $30 mil to MLSE? Just pay up. That bugs me.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

curious to see how grass affects the reconfiguration for the NFL games. It may not be much of a hassle at all or it could be such a headache they say "we're not doing this again."

My feeling is that "suspended" is code for "we're walking away from that dumpster fire and we're not coming back". From what I heard of the plans for the Skydome, they plan on either removing the movable seating and putting in fixed seating or simply anchoring the movable seating into a permanent baseball configuration.

It's a shame really. I've been to two football games there and had a great time both times. Went to the Vanier Cup in 2012 and the Eastern Final last year and thought the atmosphere was fantastic, I enjoyed the comfort and the amenities and had no real trouble with the sight lines. Could easily follow the games and even when my view was blocked, I could see what I was missing on the Jumbotron. It seems like Rogers is trying to go all-in with the Blue Jays by sacrificing stadium flexibility and revenue streams. So it's a little ironic to see BMO going the opposite direction. But then again Rogers has a habit of spinning gold into straw, at least with it's sports properties....

tigercatssignature-1.png

curious to see how grass affects the reconfiguration for the NFL games. It may not be much of a hassle at all or it could be such a headache they say "we're not doing this again."

My feeling is that "suspended" is code for "we're walking away from that dumpster fire and we're not coming back". From what I heard of the plans for the Skydome, they plan on either removing the movable seating and putting in fixed seating or simply anchoring the movable seating into a permanent baseball configuration.

It's a shame really. I've been to two football games there and had a great time both times. Went to the Vanier Cup in 2012 and the Eastern Final last year and thought the atmosphere was fantastic, I enjoyed the comfort and the amenities and had no real trouble with the sight lines. Could easily follow the games and even when my view was blocked, I could see what I was missing on the Jumbotron. It seems like Rogers is trying to go all-in with the Blue Jays by sacrificing stadium flexibility and revenue streams. So it's a little ironic to see BMO going the opposite direction. But then again Rogers has a habit of spinning gold into straw, at least with it's sports properties....

It certainly seems like it could be one of "those" things... spending more time with his family, mutual breakup, etc. but they just renewed the deal less than a year ago. I can't think of any surprises that popped up in the last year that would make both parties agree to walk away. If it were one side or the other, you'd think that they'd still be held to the contract. If it's just a one year hiatus because of renovations at Rogers Centre, why not just come out and say it?

I think MLSE should cough up the 30m as it's a drop in the pan for them. Plus if MLSE foots the bill, then they would have complete control of the stadia. Not have to answer to the city or Ontario

I see what you are saying but don't forget, the city still owns the stadium. Granted, I'm sure of MLSE just foots the entire cost the city could make some kind of arrangement to just give the stadium to MLSE. I mean MLSE paid for the conversion from turf to grass and added the north end stands as well.

This whole thing is kind of funny. Had MLSE just built the stadium up front maybe all these changes to BMO over the years could have been avoided. Plus (to put a political spin to it) Mayor Miller might have avoided almost putting Toronto into bankruptcy.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It certainly seems like it could be one of "those" things... spending more time with his family, mutual breakup, etc. but they just renewed the deal less than a year ago. I can't think of any surprises that popped up in the last year that would make both parties agree to walk away. If it were one side or the other, you'd think that they'd still be held to the contract. If it's just a one year hiatus because of renovations at Rogers Centre, why not just come out and say it?

The thing is, the renovations are not taking place until after 2017. The deal renewal was actually January of last year. I suspect the combination of the lowest attendance to date plus the out cry not just from Bills fans but Bills players caused the management to reconsider. It wasn't because of finances, Rogers had no trouble pouring more money into it, and the Bills weren't losing any money over it but the optics were bad for the team. The only reason not come out and say it is strictly for diplomacy reasons.

tigercatssignature-1.png

I think MLSE should cough up the 30m as it's a drop in the pan for them. Plus if MLSE foots the bill, then they would have complete control of the stadia. Not have to answer to the city or Ontario

I see what you are saying but don't forget, the city still owns the stadium. Granted, I'm sure of MLSE just foots the entire cost the city could make some kind of arrangement to just give the stadium to MLSE. I mean MLSE paid for the conversion from turf to grass and added the north end stands as well.

This whole thing is kind of funny. Had MLSE just built the stadium up front maybe all these changes to BMO over the years could have been avoided. Plus (to put a political spin to it) Mayor Miller might have avoided almost putting Toronto into bankruptcy.

I doubt that the City will just give them the stadium. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the stadium built on the Exhibition fairgrounds?

Additionally, depending upon when TFC's season ended in 2014, 2015 and 2016, MLSE will also attempt to have construction take place as soon as the team's season concluded in the Fall for as long as weather permits.

So... June? :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I doubt that the City will just give them the stadium. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the stadium built on the Exhibition fairgrounds?

I doubt it too. What I meant was if they were to do that, then they could simply say "you want to do work to the stadium, you pay for it." and not put public money in.

You are correct, it is on the exhibition grounds

Yeah, I don't think the city would give away anything on the Ex Grounds. Still, I think MLSE should pony up more of the cost, but at least they're promising that the city will get its money back in the long run.

A few points...

- Construction is said to begin on Labour Day and hopefully be done in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games...which would mean in time for the 2016 MLB and CFL seasons...which would mean only two more seasons of plastic grass and awful football atmospheres!

- Complete side note: the Pan Am Games will force the Jays out for three straight weeks. Oof.

- Bills in TO could still happen. It would take place after the baseball season ends, giving them plenty of time to repair the grass before the season starts

- The NFL is adamant that they do not want to bring the NFL to Toronto if it means the death of the Argos. With this in mind, why else would MLSE buy a team that hasn't turned a profit (on an operating basis) in 25 years? I have a feeling this is done with the idea of securing the Argos so they can pursue the NFL. Now, there are plenty of hurdles to clear before that could be possible - notably the prohibition of corporate owners - but this is probably what MLSE is thinking.

- MLSE ownership has other big implications for the Argos. They'd have access to the TFC's Kia Practice Facility (from what I hear, it's NFL-quality), which sure as hell beats practising in U of T's backyard field.

- Blue Jays get grass two years earlier than expected, TFC get a huge stadium upgrade without converting to turf, the Argos get a legitimate football field and stable ownership, the Leafs get an outdoor venue, the city gets a stadium worthy of the Pan Am Games and the FIFA World Cup (should that happen), and MLSE's NFL pipe dream *appears* closer in their eyes (regardless of reality). How is this not a win-win-win-win-win-win?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

One more thing: the $30M would be split equally among the municipal, provincial, and federal governments. Not much better, but at least it's not all thrown on the city.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

- The NFL is adamant that they do not want to bring the NFL to Toronto if it means the death of the Argos. With this in mind, why else would MLSE buy a team that hasn't turned a profit (on an operating basis) in 25 years? I have a feeling this is done with the idea of securing the Argos so they can pursue the NFL. Now, there are plenty of hurdles to clear before that could be possible - notably the prohibition of corporate owners - but this is probably what MLSE is thinking.

This is very true.

But there is a very simple fix to that. Larry Tanenbaum (or apparently John Bon Jovi as per the report late last year) most likely will be the primary owner of the team and MLSE will own and operate the stadium.

Well it would be advantaceous for MLSE to purchase the Argos. I think the future of TFC and BMO Field hinge on that partnership between MLSE and Argos.

I think TFC will be just fine with or without the Argos.

I think it's the other way around actually, this deal will save the Argos. It's no surprise that David Braley is in the business of saving CFL franchises and even he has said that he wants to get rid of the Argos because they can't make money.

I think the BMO field deal may do something similar to what moving to Percival Molson Stadium did for the Alouettes, create more demand by having less seats and put the team back where they belong, outside.

Archived