Problem With Creating Uniforms For Fictional Teams In Video Games

OldRamsFan

I have always loved creating new uniforms for football teams. One of the things I loved most about APF 2K8 was the incredible number of options available for creating uniforms for the fictional teams. I've spent countless hours doing that.

But the problem rises when I actually play the game. No matter how cool my uniform is, I just can't get into the game because the team isn't a real team. I quickly lose interest, becaue I have no emotional tie to the team. I think I've only made it through one entire season of APF for that reason.

Do you feel this same disconnect as I do?

I wish Madden would allow us to create new uniforms for the actual existing NFL teams.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

I have always loved creating new uniforms for football teams. One of the things I loved most about APF 2K8 was the incredible number of options available for creating uniforms for the fictional teams. I've spent countless hours doing that.

But the problem rises when I actually play the game. No matter how cool my uniform is, I just can't get into the game because the team isn't a real team. I quickly lose interest, becaue I have no emotional tie to the team. I think I've only made it through one entire season of APF for that reason.

I wish Madden would allow us to create new uniforms for the actual existing NFL teams.

It would be great if NHL did that too.

That's what- She

I have had success only when I recreate something that has meaning for me, so I have...

1. Recreated a 19 team USFL (all franchise from 3 years) and added 10 CFL teams and a few WLAF to make a 32 team USFL/CFL merger.

The most success I had with this holding my attention was the year when I actually changed most of the starting players to actual 1986 USFL, CFL and NFL players.

That did pretty well, but took literally weeks to create (with team creation and roster updates)

2. Recreated my 12 team fantasy league, again adding in another 20 fictional teams. This works well if you take the time to actually recreate rosters based on that

year's fantasy league lineup. This one held my interest because with 12 current fantasy teams and 4 past teams

from my same league I could play as my current team, play against "real" fantasy opponents and simulate the games against the other "fake" conference.

(So 12 games a year against my fantasy league and 4 games a year which are simmed against purely fictional teams beyond my fantasy league.)

My problems tend to be...

1. you have to create a 32 team league to play in Madden

2. APF2k8 did not have a real league feature to speak of and you could only change 1 team per league so you were stuck with a bunch of who-cares teams.

3. NCAA games don't work for me as simulations of pro football.

I would love a game where you could create a new league, populate it with your created teams and play in a 10, 12, 16, 20 team league rather than a 32 team fake NFL.

A "Rival Football League" game where you actually simulated the formation of a new USFL or rival league would be an amazing game, assuming you had owner mode with depth, maybe even a commissioner mode.

2k Sports, are you listening?

I have had success only when I recreate something that has meaning for me, so I have...

1. Recreated a 19 team USFL (all franchise from 3 years) and added 10 CFL teams and a few WLAF to make a 32 team USFL/CFL merger.

The most success I had with this holding my attention was the year when I actually changed most of the starting players to actual 1986 USFL, CFL and NFL players.

That did pretty well, but took literally weeks to create (with team creation and roster updates)

2. Recreated my 12 team fantasy league, again adding in another 20 fictional teams. This works well if you take the time to actually recreate rosters based on that

year's fantasy league lineup. This one held my interest because with 12 current fantasy teams and 4 past teams

from my same league I could play as my current team, play against "real" fantasy opponents and simulate the games against the other "fake" conference.

(So 12 games a year against my fantasy league and 4 games a year which are simmed against purely fictional teams beyond my fantasy league.)

My problems tend to be...

1. you have to create a 32 team league to play in Madden

2. APF2k8 did not have a real league feature to speak of and you could only change 1 team per league so you were stuck with a bunch of who-cares teams.

3. NCAA games don't work for me as simulations of pro football.

I would love a game where you could create a new league, populate it with your created teams and play in a 10, 12, 16, 20 team league rather than a 32 team fake NFL.

A "Rival Football League" game where you actually simulated the formation of a new USFL or rival league would be an amazing game, assuming you had owner mode with depth, maybe even a commissioner mode.

2k Sports, are you listening?

They actually did have a game like this called Backbreaker that came out back in 2010 I believe. You could make 32 teams and put them all in a league together. It even had a mode in the style of a European soccer system with promotion and relegation. However, the gameplay and presentation was fairly mediocre and the game never really took off.

28mmjrr.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

I created a few 32-team leagues in Hockey League Simulator back in the early 90s. Every above average player had a custom created name. All teams were custom created. The key to 'caring' is you need to play it long enough that a history develops for both teams and players. When the Flint Gears somehow become the dynasty team, defeating the Halifax Harriers in three straight early Cups, you start to get invested. When Tank Gore scores a magical 104 goals in a season, you start to track other chases for the record in subsequent seasons. How about that year that the Brantford Photos, who had never made the playoffs before, squeak in on the last game of the season, and then go on to upset four teams, including the Gears in the semi-finals, all in seven-game series? You never forget that, even 20-some odd years later. It's all about the narrative you create. One season, I even did a game-by-game journal for the star player of the Gears, detailing his ups and downs.

Sure, it's a lot more work to care about these teams, but it makes these games meaningful.

What if you just run full-season simulations for three or four seasons, without playing the games personally? (no idea if your game allows that). Then spend a little time breaking down the stats over those first few seasons. Who's the breakout star? What team is just a dumpster fire? What division rivalries develop? Once you've done that for a few seasons, then you'll be able to develop anticipation for upcoming games, since you'll know what's at stake, narrative-wise.

Can you run Madden 08 on PC? There's an entire community dedicated to modding the game and keeping it updated. You can customize uniforms and such but its a bit more complicated and requires some learning but the result is what you want to achieve.

24orncx.jpg

As a huge uniform nerd, I hate the NHL games in that area.

The uniform/logo/team creation system in NHL is so awful it's sad.

But what you were talking about, being able to create new uniforms or an alternate uniform for an actual team would be really cool and would get me more into the game.

Can you run Madden 08 on PC? There's an entire community dedicated to modding the game and keeping it updated. You can customize uniforms and such but its a bit more complicated and requires some learning but the result is what you want to achieve.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it down, there's a great deal you can do with the game graphically. The site is called "Football Idiot." The site itself isn't worth much, but the forum is active and full of resources: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/ One of the ex-members here, NICK, is a huge contributor there.

As far as customizing how the game is played, Madden still doesn't offer a lot. When it comes to leagues with reduced numbers of teams: schedules can be edited, so even though a season/franchise requires 32 teams, the schedule can be set up so that only the 12 teams you want to play each other play each other. When it comes to pure customization, the best game for that that I've played is "Maximum Football." It's not the prettiest game ever, by any means. But it does allow for watchable simulations anyway.

I've always wished that NHL would let you download your own custom logos, or logos from other non-NHL teams, but of course with Copyright issues that would never happen.

Another thing I thought of would be a Download teams/leagues feature, where you could download a team in a league, like say the ECHL, who doesn't appear in the NHL series. The roster/jerseys and stuff like that would be premade, so you wouldn't have to do much work editing and customizing. EA could charge 5 bucks a team, and I don't know maybe 30 bucks a league (I don't know how many gamer points or whatever that would be). How ever much they charge per team I'm sure that they could still make a killing off of it.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

To get the care factor, I tend to fill entire franchises with created players based on people I know. Then, regardless of whether i've created all the other teams or just inserted my team into the existing league, I care a lot more about my team and continuing on with a season.

To get the care factor, I tend to fill entire franchises with created players based on people I know. Then, regardless of whether i've created all the other teams or just inserted my team into the existing league, I care a lot more about my team and continuing on with a season.

me too it really helps the care factor

Archived