Knicks to Own and Operate Their Own NBA D-League Affiliate

Brian in Boston

The Madison Square Garden Company has acquired the right to own and operate an NBA D-League affiliate of the New York Knicks that will play at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, New York. The team will begin playing next season.

With the addition of the new franchise, NBA D-League membership expands to 18 teams.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/newyork/DLeague_Release_140310.html

A "Name The Team" contest is accepting suggestions through March 24th.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/newyork/name_submission_140310.html

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that so many teams are single-affiliate and then 3 (soon 4) have four or five.

I'd like to see the Bulls find an Illinois home for a D-League team in Moline (QC), Peoria or Rockford. But it will probably be Hoffman Estates or Rosemont, after DePaul leaves.

I wonder... what does this plan for the Knicks having a closer affiliate mean for their current affiliate, the Erie BayHawks. Would they seek out a new single partner... say, Toronto?

I find it interesting that so many teams are single-affiliate and then 3 (soon 4) have four or five.

I'd like to see the Bulls find an Illinois home for a D-League team in Moline (QC), Peoria or Rockford. But it will probably be Hoffman Estates or Rosemont, after DePaul leaves.

Peoria's a non-starter unless the Rivermen die again. Between Bradley and the Rivs the arena is pretty much full up.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since we're touching on potential locations, I'd love to see a D-League in my neck of the woods. Those in the Utah Jazz front office have mentioned the possibility of a team in St. George, UT. Most people there are Jazz fans and it's the largest city in the state outside of the Wasatch Front.

But, back to White Plains: What to call the team?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Since we're touching on potential locations, I'd love to see a D-League in my neck of the woods. Those in the Utah Jazz front office have mentioned the possibility of a team in St. George, UT. Most people there are Jazz fans and it's the largest city in the state outside of the Wasatch Front.

But, back to White Plains: What to call the team?

How about the New York Quicks?

bYhYmxh.png

I chose the name Revolution after the Battle of White Plains during the American Revolution (according to Wikipedia). I was also on the fence about using Dutchmen (area founded by the Dutch) or the Americans (no particular reason).

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I suggested Hudson Valley Hollows, that way, a logo with a headless horseman can be used. Why the Headless Horseman? The Knicks are actually the Knickerbockers, somewhat named after a character created by Washington Irving, Dietrich Kinickerbocker

Something Dutch related would be pretty great.

Just entered New York Patroons (an homage to CBA mainstay the Albany Patroons)...

Um, no. The Patroons - the Van Rensselaer family - were up in what's now the Capital District, which is majorly Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga counties

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I think they should at least stay with the Iowa Energy. The Chicago Cubs have their AAA team in Des Moines, so the Bulls' D-League team should be in Des Moines as well. Just sorta makes sense that way.

I think they should at least stay with the Iowa Energy. The Chicago Cubs have their AAA team in Des Moines, so the Bulls' D-League team should be in Des Moines as well. Just sorta makes sense that way.

It does make sense, but if Iowa does go the single team route, it's not just the Bulls that have a clear shot at them. Minnesota should be considered as well because another team from that area, the Wild, have their AHL in Des Moines.

Um, no. The Patroons - the Van Rensselaer family - were up in what's now the Capital District, which is majorly Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga counties

Patroons were the proprietors of feudal estates in New Netherland - called patroonships - that were originally established under grants from the Dutch West India Company. Anyone who could organize a settlement of fifty persons in New Netherland between 1630 and 1634 was granted the right to hold, theoretically in perpetuity, a tract of land fronting up to 16 miles on the water (most often, a river like the Hudson) and stretching back indefinitely, provided that said land rights could be successfully purchased from any Native Americans laying claim to the property.

While Kiliaen van Rensselaer is arguably the best known of the Dutch patroons, and Rensselaerswyck - which was passed down through succeeding generations of the van Rensselaer family for over 200 years - is considered the most successful of such estates, patroonships were by no means limited to said family, or to Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga Counties.

For example, Adriaen van der Donck's patroonship - Colendonck - was located in what is present day Westchester County (specifically, Yonkers) and the Bronx. The English, who - upon taking control of New Netherland from the Dutch - married the Dutch patroonships to their own manor and patent system, granted Stephanus van Cortlandt the patroonship of Van Cortlandt Manor (in present day Westchester County) in the late 1690s.

As such, MBurmy's suggestion of New York Patroons isn't inappropriate.

Patroons were the proprietors of feudal estates in New Netherland - called patroonships - that were originally established under grants from the Dutch West India Company. Anyone who could organize a settlement of fifty persons in New Netherland between 1630 and 1634 was granted the right to hold, theoretically in perpetuity, a tract of land fronting up to 16 miles on the water (most often, a river like the Hudson) and stretching back indefinitely, provided that said land rights could be successfully purchased from any Native Americans laying claim to the property.

While Kiliaen van Rensselaer is arguably the best known of the Dutch patroons, and Rensselaerswyck - which was passed down through succeeding generations of the van Rensselaer family for over 200 years - is considered the most successful of such estates, patroonships were by no means limited to said family, or to Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga Counties.

For example, Adriaen van der Donck's patroonship - Colendonck - was located in what is present day Westchester County (specifically, Yonkers) and the Bronx. The English, who - upon taking control of New Netherland from the Dutch - married the Dutch patroonships to their own manor and patent system, granted Stephanus van Cortlandt the patroonship of Van Cortlandt Manor (in present day Westchester County) in the late 1690s.

As such, MBurmy's suggestion of New York Patroons isn't inappropriate.

it still won't work as "New York", since Patroon is a Dutch word. Also, do you think downstaters would appreciate the "New York Pats"?

it still won't work as "New York", since Patroon is a Dutch word.

Knickerbocker is of Dutch derivation. Ownership of the NBA franchise didn't hesitate to pair it with the New York place-name.

And to my point, "Dietrich Knickerbocker" is closer NYC than knowledge of patroons.

Archived