Knicks to Own and Operate Their Own NBA D-League Affiliate

Brian in Boston

I suggested Hudson Valley Hollows, that way, a logo with a headless horseman can be used. Why the Headless Horseman? The Knicks are actually the Knickerbockers, somewhat named after a character created by Washington Irving, Dietrich Kinickerbocker

See avatar. :P

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And to my point, "Dietrich Knickerbocker" is closer NYC than knowledge of patroons.

To my point, both the term patroon and the name Knickerbocker are Dutch in origin. If the Dutch Knickerbocker can suitably grace a New York-based pro basketball team, so can the Dutch patroon.

Further, the van Rensselaers - to say nothing of other families in what are now Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga counties - were not the only patroons of New Amsterdam. Patroons existed throughout New Amsterdam, including what is today Westchester County.

In short, MBurmy's suggestion of Patroons as the nickname for a Westchester County-based NBA D-League franchise - particularly one owned by and affiliated with the NBA's New York Knickerbockers - is appropriate.

There are more and more teams buying their own D-league teams, but I think that when the next CBA is settled in 2016/17, every team that shares an affiliate is going have to have a team of their own.

Also, I'm not too sure how well each NBA team having their affiliate fairly close to them is going to work. I could see the D-League becoming like the AHL in the way that the AHL has a majority of their teams within a day's bus ride to most of the other teams. I could see four pockets where all but one or two NBADL teams'll be; Northeast, Florida, Texas, and California.

There are more and more teams buying their own D-league teams, but I think that when the next CBA is settled in 2016/17, every team that shares an affiliate is going have to have a team of their own.

Also, I'm not too sure how well each NBA team having their affiliate fairly close to them is going to work. I could see the D-League becoming like the AHL in the way that the AHL has a majority of their teams within a day's bus ride to most of the other teams. I could see four pockets where all but one or two NBADL teams'll be; Northeast, Florida, Texas, and California.

That may be true, but travel costs shouldn't be as big of an issue for the NBADL as it is for the AHL or a minor football league football team. Basketball teams travel with half the number of players compared with a hockey team and a fraction of the amount of gear. If a team wants to put a DL team somewhere far-flung, it could still work.

I suggested Hudson Valley Hollows, that way, a logo with a headless horseman can be used. Why the Headless Horseman? The Knicks are actually the Knickerbockers, somewhat named after a character created by Washington Irving, Dietrich Kinickerbocker

See avatar. :P

Exactly, or something similar, but let's hope they don't go with an homage to Rip Van Winkle: New York Rippers. :oops:

There's a small school in the area, Valatie (VAH-lay-shia) called Ichabod Crane. They go by Riders. New York Riders?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

From the Wall Street Journal:

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the NBADL has filed for ownership of five potential team names: The New York Plainsmen, the New York Hutch, the New York 914s, the New York Empire, and the New York 'Bockers.

I was partial to the 'Bockers before and it's clearly the best of these choices.

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the NBADL has filed for ownership of five potential team names: The New York Plainsmen, the New York Hutch, the New York 914s, the New York Empire, and the New York 'Bockers.

I was partial to the 'Bockers before and it's clearly the best of these choices.

That's because the other choices aren't very good . . . with the possible exception of Plainsmen.

914s is the worst of all. Naming the team after the area code? Seriously?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Gothamite's observation about the Dolans seems more relevant than ever.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You sure it's not this?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzd21.jpg

If the team is behind late in the game, they can play "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby".

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So pardon my ignorance, but is the D-League really an effective minor league? Has any player 'developed' there and made an impact in the NBA? Or have teams actually "called up" hot players from their minor league teams?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So pardon my ignorance, but is the D-League really an effective minor league? Has any player 'developed' there and made an impact in the NBA? Or have teams actually "called up" hot players from their minor league teams?

On one hand, the NBA's still very new to doing this type of thing relative to the NHL and baseball. Off the top of my head (and a few wikipedia peeks), Jeremy Lin was in Erie for a little bit before Linsanity became a thing, the Spurs had had Danny Green down in Austin for a while, the Thunder sent Reggie Jackson back and forth between OKC and Tulsa a few years ago, and several years ago Ramon Sessions played most of the season in Tulsa before the Bucks called him up. Then you got Glen Rice Jr., who's split this season between the D-League and the Wizards.

As I said, it aint like baseball where even the guys who become superstars spend at least some time in the minors, but at least a few teams are starting to get a feel for this.

Back on topic...Bockers is the best of that lot, though how about Emperors or Imperials instead of Empire? Too grandiose?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived