Madden Fan Contest Deadline Extended

joshlooman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The uniforms a disappointing though.

BUT FISTPUMPFREDDY SAYS EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!

EDIT: I guess since it says "Created by" and my actual name in the middle of the uniform screen, I can take ownership of this one. Finally.

I will never understand the reasoning behind Madden believing that having pre-set colors and uniforms is a better route than allowing the user to create their own content. Team names, I understand. Cities, I understand. Even stadiums/ Field Art , I understand. But uniforms, color schemes, etc. just seems like a blatant step backwards. Why not allow us to make the Brooklyn Bulls a Green and Orange, Black and Red, or Yellow and Pink team? It just seems pointless adding the restrictions and simple to fix.

I will never understand the reasoning behind Madden believing that having pre-set colors and uniforms is a better route than allowing the user to create their own content. Team names, I understand. Cities, I understand. Even stadiums/ Field Art , I understand. But uniforms, color schemes, etc. just seems like a blatant step backwards. Why not allow us to make the Brooklyn Bulls a Green and Orange, Black and Red, or Yellow and Pink team? It just seems pointless adding the restrictions and simple to fix.

As a developer, I can safely say that the "simple" things are sometimes the most complicated :censored:. Let's say you have an editable color family. You'll have to code in the hex library of colors, an easy-to-use interface for selecting those colors, not to mention having a library of content that can allow for dynamic content. And by "library," we're talking stadium fascia, spectator clothing, signs, jumbotron videos, on top of the already heavily scrutinized uniform and on-field display. And did I mention that all has to work with the consumer making a single choice? And if it doesn't work right or sometimes even fast enough, it's "slow, buggy, and could be better." And once that's done, you have to worry about rendering. Every frame - which, for Madden, is probably 60 times a second, the computer has to make a call to the code to say "Hey. What should this color be on this object?" The code sends back "This is green, this is yellow, that's white now." The renderer then goes "Ok. HRRRRRNGH. Done, and now to add lighting, HEY, CODE, DOES THAT AFFECT ANYTHING? And the lighting engine works with the code and goes "Still Green, but THIS green, still yellow, but THIS yellow, and that white needs more grey because the defender is casting shade on him." And then the code goes HRRRRRRNGH and :censored:s it out, ready for you. That's for a single player. Do that for the other 11 guys on the field, and however many are on the sideline. Coaches? Same thing. But guess what, there's two teams. Meaning a completely different graphic set and color library. Wait a second, what stadium are we in? This building needs to look like this because Tampa Bay has a PIRATE SHIP in the side of it. You enjoy your game on mute? Sound effects, narration, "authentic NFL Grunting," diegetic music (music that's designed to sound like it's in the environment). ALL of that affects the processing power, and ALL of that (and probably a WHOLE LOT MORE) happens 59 times more every second.

TL;DR - It's easier to make design high-res static images than to allow for dynamic content because it takes less time, and it's lighter on the processing power of your console/box of choice.

I see your point, I don't disagree, but there's a reason for these things.

As a developer, I can safely say that the "simple" things are sometimes the most complicated :censored:. Let's say you have an editable color family. You'll have to code in the hex library of colors, an easy-to-use interface for selecting those colors, not to mention having a library of content that can allow for dynamic content. And by "library," we're talking stadium fascia, spectator clothing, signs, jumbotron videos, on top of the already heavily scrutinized uniform and on-field display. And did I mention that all has to work with the consumer making a single choice? And if it doesn't work right or sometimes even fast enough, it's "slow, buggy, and could be better." And once that's done, you have to worry about rendering. Every frame - which, for Madden, is probably 60 times a second, the computer has to make a call to the code to say "Hey. What should this color be on this object?" The code sends back "This is green, this is yellow, that's white now." The renderer then goes "Ok. HRRRRRNGH. Done, and now to add lighting, HEY, CODE, DOES THAT AFFECT ANYTHING? And the lighting engine works with the code and goes "Still Green, but THIS green, still yellow, but THIS yellow, and that white needs more grey because the defender is casting shade on him." And then the code goes HRRRRRRNGH and :censored:s it out, ready for you. That's for a single player. Do that for the other 11 guys on the field, and however many are on the sideline. Coaches? Same thing. But guess what, there's two teams. Meaning a completely different graphic set and color library. Wait a second, what stadium are we in? This building needs to look like this because Tampa Bay has a PIRATE SHIP in the side of it. You enjoy your game on mute? Sound effects, narration, "authentic NFL Grunting," diegetic music (music that's designed to sound like it's in the environment). ALL of that affects the processing power, and ALL of that (and probably a WHOLE LOT MORE) happens 59 times more every second.

TL;DR - It's easier to make design high-res static images than to allow for dynamic content because it takes less time, and it's lighter on the processing power of your console/box of choice.

I'm no expert in coding, but I've done a little bit myself. I guess it seems to me like you should be able to create all the necessary static images when you create the team and before you start playing a game. So basically you recolor everything and create all the necessary textures and patterns and whatnot with the right colors so that when you actually play a game with the team, it's just as if you're playing with any other preset team.

In any case, congratulations on winning the contest.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

So had they actually contacted you yet to say you had won?

Yes, I've known for a few months now. It's been very difficult not telling anyone.

Whaaaaatt??????!!! oh well, looking forward to these concepts in madden 25 and i am a little bit disappointed with no NCAA football game. I will live no worries

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I'm no expert in coding, but I've done a little bit myself. I guess it seems to me like you should be able to create all the necessary static images when you create the team and before you start playing a game. So basically you recolor everything and create all the necessary textures and patterns and whatnot with the right colors so that when you actually play a game with the team, it's just as if you're playing with any other preset team.

In any case, congratulations on winning the contest.

Thanks! However, I'm not the only winner - In a Twitch stream, they revealed a few teams that were fan-created. Specifically, the San Antonio Marshals.

Do you have a link to the teams? I would like to see.

http://www.twitch.tv/easports/b/555625751 is the stream, but they don't really show off the logos. They don't really even go over the teams, but you can see the names you can pick from when they gloss over possible cities. NOTE - they don't go over all the possible cities.

How did they inform you that you won? i made a Columbus Aviators Concept and I heard them say Columbus has an updated look... hoping that they picked mine lol.

Congrats btw I figured your concept would be a winner.

EDIT: didnt they also say that winners would get a free copy of the next madden?

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats, derschwigg. I bought Madden 25 last year and I don't like to buy the same sports franchise in consecutive years but I may do so just to have a next-gen Madden, in which case I will definitely be moving a team to Brooklyn to become the Bulls. Might try to create Michael Jordan as an Owner because it seems like a combination he'd be interested in.

A couple questions for you: was your intent with the shoulder "stripes" meant to allude to horns, or what's up with those? And do the pants stripes stop halfway up?

And for those wondering why they won't give everyone the ability to customize the uniforms in the game, I think EA Sports has been anxious about that sort of power leading to intellectual property violations. They pretty much gave up on the NCAA Football Teambuilder app that let you create your own schools and uniforms there, even before this whole O'Bannon lawsuit.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Yes, I've known for a few months now. It's been very difficult not telling anyone.

Y'know I had hoped to win but began to suspect that if I had I would have been contacted by now. It sucks, I probably won't be able to afford it this year (again).

In any case, congrats. How much of the extra stuff did you do? (making stitched images, alpha channel, etc)

How did they inform you that you won? i made a Columbus Aviators Concept and I heard them say Columbus has an updated look... hoping that they picked mine lol.

Congrats btw I figured your concept would be a winner.

EDIT: didnt they also say that winners would get a free copy of the next madden?

There was a congratulatory email and some paperwork to sign.

Thanks! I'd hoped, but there's so much talent around that nothing like this is ever a given. And yes, they did say that.

Always good to see a CCSLCer get a big break. Congrats, man.

Thanks, guy!

Congrats, derschwigg. I bought Madden 25 last year and I don't like to buy the same sports franchise in consecutive years but I may do so just to have a next-gen Madden, in which case I will definitely be moving a team to Brooklyn to become the Bulls. Might try to create Michael Jordan as an Owner because it seems like a combination he'd be interested in.

A couple questions for you: was your intent with the shoulder "stripes" meant to allude to horns, or what's up with those? And do the pants stripes stop halfway up?

And for those wondering why they won't give everyone the ability to customize the uniforms in the game, I think EA Sports has been anxious about that sort of power leading to intellectual property violations. They pretty much gave up on the NCAA Football Teambuilder app that let you create your own schools and uniforms there, even before this whole O'Bannon lawsuit.

Thanks, man! My intent with the shoulder color is that I really thought it needed something to break up the color, but I didn't want it to be gaudy or look silly - looking at you, Oregon - but just have a fairly classic look. There's a section of the pants that the stripe goes up, but it doesn't stop halfway up.

Y'know I had hoped to win but began to suspect that if I had I would have been contacted by now. It sucks, I probably won't be able to afford it this year (again).

In any case, congrats. How much of the extra stuff did you do? (making stitched images, alpha channel, etc)

Thanks! I did as much as I could, but there were some versioning issues that prevented me from doing too much of the extra work.

I have a question for anyone who may have won, after you were notified and signed/returned your release form did you receive a confirmation that they received your release?

I ask because I received an email from josh looman of EA saying my logo was selected as a winner on may the 5th, and I signed and returned it that same day, but since doing so I have had no contact with anyone regarding my entry or prize. I would have thought I would have received some indication that everything had been received or something of that sort, and just want to know how things worked for anyone else. Thanks, and congrats to all those who did have a winning entry!

Hey all! I've been scouring the internet to see who else may have won, and I came across a couple youtube videos that came from "advanced review copies" of the game that showcase every possible look/team that you can relocate to. One person was intrepid enough to make an imgur gallery of all the looks.

Archived