The Alternate Soccer Universe: Ligue Première De Football -- Corsaires (January 22)

MDGP

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Sparky!

The ASF's 12 team is one of the Original Four, as well as the only Canadian team.

HamiltonElevenCrest_zpsbeb60641.png

The ASF's second oldest franchise was established as a company team for former steel workers. Sponsored by Stelco, where many of the players had originally worked, the team originally was unsuccessful, as many players seemed out of shape (in hindsight, it might have had something to do with inhalation of chemicals at the mills). Over time though, the team began taking on more professional players, and by 1948, Hamilton was the elite soccer team in Canada.

The Eleven were relatively successful in the first ten seasons of the ASF, winning 2 championships. However, after a 1973 championship, the team went through a dry spell, and the 1990's became a living hell for the franchise. The 2000's have been moderately successful, winning a relatively surprising championship in 2005, but bouncing in and out of the playoffs throughout the decade (usually being the 5-8 seed in the playoffs).

CREST

The Eleven's crest features a steel hammer within a roundel. This represents the team's historical roots with Stelco, and also acknowledges two of the city's nicknames "Steeltown," and "The Hammer." The roundel itself is created out of a chain pattern inspired by the chain on the city flag. The background of the roundel features a double blue pattern that appears throughout the identity.

HamiltonUniforms_zpscb4c2ebc.png

UNIFORMS

Despite being a classic team, Hamilton sports very modern uniforms. They are outfitted by Puma and feature Tim Hortons as a sponsor. The crest features 5 stars representing each championship. The sleeve features the league patch (which will be seen on all team's uniforms when I get to them). Those of you who are observant may notice that something seems off about the league patch. You are right!

ScreenShot2014-04-18at120350AM_zps8d8cef

Hamilton gets to wear the league logo with a maple leaf on it! This is the only application of this version of the logo.

Oh, also... Chrome(!) is heavily utilized because chrome=steel and all that other modern design explanation BS, which is why silver simply wouldn't do.

PRIMARY

Hamilton's primary's are double blue monochrome. The striping pattern from the shield is mimicked on the jerseys while adding a thin diagonal chrome stripe and orange stripe on the lower part of the jersey front, creating a low sash. The back features the same sublimated striping sans chrome/orange. The numbers though are chrome with an orange outline and a chrome NOB. The shorts and socks feature the same design.

CLASH

The clash kits are white and feature the striping pattern in the shoulder area that Puma likes to use on its uniforms. The back continues utilizing the chrome numbers but use a navy NOB.

NOTE: THE NAMEPLATE WOULD ONLY CROSS OVER THE STRIPING IN THE CASE OF A LONG NAME. I only did it like this to represent that. For a short name, it would normally be formatted to not overlap.

The shorts and socks are the same as on the primary uniforms

Throwback_zpscb57651e.png

THROWBACK

The throwback uniform is an historically accurate representation of the Eleven's original 1931 uniforms. It is a simple blue uniform with orange accents and white numbers. The shorts feature orange numbers (not used for player ID in game, but used so the players would know whose were whose after getting laundry back) and navy accents and orange socks.

The logo is an extremely simple roundel with two hammers crossed inside. This would be modified multiple times throughout history.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

WOOT TIM HORTONS!!!!!! I would rock all 3 of those jerseys on my frequent visits haha. Glad to see a Canadian team included, wasnt expecting that.

I usuallt don't like gradients and shiny stuff especially on jerseys, but considering the dirty reputation and black and gold (usually also a dirty colour combo ( dirty isnt the right word lol)) it woyld be nice to see a non Black/Gold look that makes the city look modern and shiny :P

WOOT TIM HORTONS!!!!!! I would rock all 3 of those jerseys on my frequent visits haha. Glad to see a Canadian team included, wasnt expecting that.

I usuallt don't like gradients and shiny stuff especially on jerseys, but considering the dirty reputation and black and gold (usually also a dirty colour combo ( dirty isnt the right word lol)) it woyld be nice to see a non Black/Gold look that makes the city look modern and shiny :P

1) Had to go as stereotypical as possible, haha

2) It was actually going to be black and gold originally, but I've used way too much yellow, and I didn't want them to wear the same colors as the other steel city (Derby Preview?). Then I was gonna go black and orange... Then somehow blue showed up... Then silver randomly appeared... Honestly, it was a weird/surprising color combo that just sort of ended up happening.

3) I originally wasn't gonna have a Canadian team, then it popped into my head a few weeks ago as an original 4/NHL original six reference.

Basically, this team was just sort of a bunch of random ideas that just happened to work, haha.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Awesome to see a Canadian club in the USSL. Especially sponsored by Tim Horton's. The kits rock and would definitely wear them myself. And I am a fame of the chrome numbers and the nice touch of the maple leaf in the USSL logo instead of the star. Cheers!

Haha, you guys really love Tim Horton's.

Today I finish of the Original 4 and present...

SyracuseLogo_zps6ce5fdbf.png

Founded in 1934, Syracuse FC, like the city's name, is heavily influenced by Italy, as well as the city's history in the salt industry. The team, like the other original four, was the elite team in their region (the Mid Atlantic) and spent several seasons as the MASL's (Mid Atlantic Soccer League) top team. Much of Syracuse's success in the ASF came early on, winning 3 championships in 13 years from 1953 to 1966. More recently, they have been a mid-level team at best, usually finishing in the lower half of the standings (between 11th and 14th).

CREST

Syracuse's crest is heavily influenced by Italian soccer crests, featuring a vertical stripe design in an oval-like shape. However, the "oval" is slightly squared-off in comparison to the crests to which I have linked. Green is used to represent the city's nickname as the Emerald City. At the bottom of the crest within the center stripe is a salt kettle. As mentioned earlier, the salt industry was extremely important early on in the history of the city.

EDIT: Updated with white numbers. ORIGINAL UNIFORM

SyracuseUniforms_zpsfdd1b317.png

UNIFORMS

Syracuse is outfitted by Adidas and features AIG as a sponsor. The four stars represent each of the championships that the team has won. The Red and Green color scheme is partially influenced by the Italian flag, and partially because the owner was a fan of the color combination.

PRIMARY

The primary uniforms are extremely historic, and feature green and white vertical stripes on the torso of the jersey. The sleeves are solid green, and feature white Adidas stripes with red accents. The cuffs and collar of the uniform is primarily white with a red stripe in the middle. The numbers, NOB, and sponsor are placed upon green boxes that cutoff the white stripes for visibility purposes. The boxes never overlap only part of a stripe. For instance, in the case of a longer name, the green box will extend to the next green stripes no matter what, in order to keep the stripes squared off. The shorts are white and feature green Adidas stripes with the same white-red-white cuff pattern on the bottom of the shorts. The socks are green and feature four large white stripes.

CLASH

The Clash uniforms are primarily red with sublimated vertical striping on the torso. The Adidas stripes remain white, and the accent is changed to green, while the cuff and collar striping is white-green-white. The numbers change from red to white. The shorts and socks are identical to those on the primaries.

SyracuseThird_zpsac708764.png

THROWBACK/THIRD

Syracuse's third jersey is a special 50th anniversary jersey that is a throwback to the team's 1964 Italian Summit Series. The team traveled to Italy in order to play the best teams in the nation. The team received special uniforms for the trip, featuring a green-white-red center stripe representing the Italian flag. The uniforms still feature Adidas stripes and the AIG logo on the sleeve, meaning that these are not exact replicas.

Interesting note, the Italian Summer Series was what inspired the league's current Twin City Tournament, in which the 20 teams from the ASF face off against 20 international teams in a preseason tournament.

Kind of strange that a team called the Hamilton Eleven has twelve chain links around its logo, but I guess that's maybe for a more symmetrical look?

EDIT: Just saw the reference to the flag. So, yeah.

Also, that Syracuse primary kit makes the numbers and name very hard to read. My suggestion would be to switch the white and the red.

Really nice to see Syracuse represented by its Italian namesake background rather than it being orange. I feel the sponsor has too many colours though, I'd remove the red from the Primary and remove the green from the Clash.
White letters with red outline may be best for the Primary as well.

Kind of strange that a team called the Hamilton Eleven has twelve chain links around its logo, but I guess that's maybe for a more symmetrical look?

EDIT: Just saw the reference to the flag. So, yeah.

Also, that Syracuse primary kit makes the numbers and name very hard to read. My suggestion would be to switch the white and the red.

The biggest reason it never crossed my mind was that I didn't really decide on using Eleven until after I completed the logo, which is how I normally operate. I usually have three name options in line, all of which would represent the team, and choose one of them. That's actually a very interesting idea though. If I ever go back and edit these further, I may give that a shot.

Also, good call on white numbers.

Really nice to see Syracuse represented by its Italian namesake background rather than it being orange. I feel the sponsor has too many colours though, I'd remove the red from the Primary and remove the green from the Clash.

White letters with red outline may be best for the Primary as well.

My main goal was actually to avoid Orange at all costs, actually, haha. Good call on both the numbers and the sponsor. Looks much cleaner now.

Very nice background story and concept with Syracuse. I like the Italian club reference to Synracuse. All I can say is that you are doing your research prior to designing your clubs...Excellent to see

I'm a big history guy, so looking up the histories, though rather basic in this case, is really enjoyable, and has really helped keep my interest in the series. For Syracuse specifically, it developed from utilizing just the Salt industry and hitting a wall, to finding out about the Italian influence, and having it all come together rather quickly from there. Honestly, without the history aspect, I wouldn't even be able to put these together.

-------------------------------

For the record, if I was Syracuse's coach, they'd be wearing that white jersey as much as the league rules would allow.

Updated the uniform to feature white numbers and simplified sponsors.

After taking a break that has felt like an eternity (apparently it was only a week), I'm back with the ASF's 14th franchise and first team of the Southern Expansion...

ORIGINAL VERSION HERE

Neworleans_zpsbfcee717.png

Founded in 1966, New Orleans became the ASF's most southern team for several years, and the team's popularity led to further expansion into the region, most notably, into Tampa Bay. The two teams have had one of the most bitter rivalries in the league's history, with the squads facing each other in 3 championship games, as well as a famous derby (more on that later). New Orleans won the first championship series against their rivals in 1980, to claim their first title, and again in 1991. In 1992, the teams faced one another in a rematch, with New Orleans finally being defeated. Since that championship loss, New Orleans has been a mid-level team, making the playoffs relatively often, but missing the playoffs just as often. In 2006, the squad became a traveling franchise due to Hurricane Katrina and finished the season in last place (19th). Upon their return, the team had a major resurgence, finishing in 2nd place in the regular season, but losing to future champion Austin in the league semifinal.

CREST

As you probably have already guessed, the team's identity is heavily inspired by New Orleans' French Quarter. The arch in the middle is inspired by the arches found on many balconies, and features an ironwork inspired design. The arch is between two of the area's iconic street lamps. Inside the arch are three fleur de lis, as found on the flag of New Orleans, underneath a soccer ball. At the bottom of the crest is the team's long name (though technically not official), Football Club des New Orleans.

NewOrleansUniforms_zps0bd11c80.png

UNIFORMS

New Orleans is outfitted by Nike, and sponsored by Louisiana-based company, Century Link. Above the crest are two crescents, representing the two championships the franchise has won, while being a nod to the city's nickname, "The Crescent City."

PRIMARY

The primary uniforms are extremely similar to the crests. They are monochrome navy and feature gold, "ironwork" inspired striping on the collar and sleeves. The numbers match this gold color, while the name on back is in white.

CLASH

The clash uniform is rather different design-wise than the primary uniform, similarly to how some european teams wearing extremely different clash kits. These kits are obviously inspired by Mardi Gras... and in order to portray that in a uniform, the team took inspiration from Harlequins FC, an English Rugby Union team. The uniform features a quartered design, featuring the three colors of Mardi Gras. In all, there are 12 separately colored panels, 4 on the front, 4 on the back, and 4 on the sleeves, leaving the design split looking no matter what side they are viewed from. In order to compensate for this quartered design, the jersey sponsor and name on back are featured within purple boxes, simply for visibility purposes. The shorts are plain yellow, and the socks are purple, featuring a seemingly random socks striping pattern.

Very different approach to NO but I like it. The clash is interesting although the sponsor doesnt fit right, but there really isnt much you can do about that

Very different approach to NO but I like it. The clash is interesting although the sponsor doesnt fit right, but there really isnt much you can do about that

Yeah, I was hoping to make it work without the box, but it just wan't happening unfortunately. I went with the best option I could come up with to still make it look like a quality uniform overall.

Neat job on New Orleans, but better translation would be "Football Club de la Nouvelle Orleans" with an accent over the "e" in Orleans.

I like how that sounds much more, I'm gonna use that. Thank you, good sir!

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been a full two months since the last team was revealed, time to get back into the game.

With that, I present team Number 15... Boise Jentilak F.C.

Boise was founded in 1971, and has won two championships in their tenure. Otherwise, the Jentilak have been a rather forgettable team, being generally average. Sometimes they make the playoffs, and sometimes they don't. Generally, they have been described as the ASF's most boring franchise by the media.

The team's name is inspired by Basque mythology. The Jentile is a hair-covered giant, known for throwing stones and creating stone structures. The city of Boise has a rather large population of Basque descendants, and Boise's supporters club nicknamed the roster after the plural version of the word to describe the roster, which consisted of many large, bearded players.

Jentilak_zps9a52ad39.png

(Click to Zoom)

CREST

Te Jentilak crest is extremely traditional compared to other crests in the league, and has not been changed since the early 80's. The design features a tree, which harkens to the city's nickname, the City of Trees. Trees are so important to the city, that an extensive guide has been developed by the city to describe the proper trees for residents to plant. At the bottom, wrapping around the base of the tree is the depiction of a potato plant with a potato growing underneath. The tree is surrounded by a large red border.

ASFNPJentilak_zpsb0f79368.png(Click to Zoom)

UNIFORMS

The Jentilak uniforms are primarily brown and red. They're produced by Puma, and are sponsored by WinCo Foods, a Boise-based supermarket chain with locations in 9 states along the pacific US (and Texas). The two stars above the crest represent the team's two championships.

PRIMARY

The team has insisted on keeping its design rather traditional on the primary, featuring alternating brown and red pinstripes on the jersey. The stripes are translated horizontally upon the socks. The shorts are red with brown accents. The numbers and jersey sponsor are brown in order to balance out the color of the uniforms.

CLASH

The clash uniform is much more modern, and features Puma specific designs (at least in this world). Much like Hamilton, the uniforms feature a combination of sublimation and striping to create the uniform's main design, and the striping is featured low on the shirt. In this instance, it is two white-red-white stripes with darker brown sublimation surrounding it. This design is also featured upon the shorts stripe as well as the socks (minus the sublimation). Also seen on the collar and right sleeve are smaller versions of the design, an element that is similarly seen upon Tampa Bay's uniform. The jersey sponsor and numbers are white for enhanced visibility against the red stripes.

Archived