The Alternate Soccer Universe: Ligue Première De Football -- Corsaires (January 22)

MDGP

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yaaay! Boise looks great, but the Puma location is bugging me, is it supposed to be in the middle or on the shoulder or something? Meh, minor detail anyway.

Yaaay! Boise looks great, but the Puma location is bugging me, is it supposed to be in the middle or on the shoulder or something? Meh, minor detail anyway.

Yeah, I think I originally had it higher up... Not sure why I moved it. If I do any major changes to the uniforms I'll fix that.

Also, bump

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Guest darkpiranha

Stellar stuff top to bottom. Take this thing all the way to the end, and you'll have a serious rival for The America League.

Good Evening.

My hometown in Indiana is New Castle and is known for its rich basketball history,Chrysler having a plant at I and 18th and home if the largest high school basketball fieldhouse in the world. Its population is almost 18,000. It would be happy of me if you can make FC New Castle. I would like the founding date between 1970 and 1998. Another name I would like is New Castle Gunners, NC Gunners FC,or Gunners FC (b'cause of my favorite soccer team,Arsenal). For the sponsor,I would like Sir Pizza but here in Indiana we call it Pizza King ,and for a good logo go to pizzakingindiana.com for a good logo. For colors I would like red,black,white and yellow.

Thank you and this is a suggestion. :)

Bump

no need to bump Lafarge's thread, if he feels like making another concept for this thread, he will see your post and possibly take into consideration but please refrain from bumping someone else's thread next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, but as I've said earlier, my plan for the league is already set, so I'm not going to be taking requests for the next few teams (However, I'm likely going to continue this at some point, so I might include the ideas then).

That being said, we've reached the final 5 teams of the American Soccer Federation (the top flight at the very least).

------------------------------------------------------

ST. LOUIS VOYAGERS

The Voyagers are famous for having the most tumultuous history of any ASF franchise, as well as being the league's only team to relocate, having done so twice. Originally founded as Detroit FC in 1959, the Voyagers lasted 6 seasons before switching owners. Three years later, Jimmy Garner purchased the team, which led to 15 strong seasons, resulting in two league championships. However, in 1985, things started to collapse around Garner. It had been no secret that he had ties to the Detroit Partnership (the mafia), and the FBI began building a case against the owner that coincided with the mob's decline.

In a desperate attempt to make as much money as possible before his assets were frozen, Garner sold Detroit FC to the Circle City Sports Group and moved the money he made into offshore accounts. Three month later, Garner was arrested and sentenced to 35 years in prison for multiple counts of money laundering, tax evasion, and fraud. He is to be released in 2020.

The Circle City Sports Group immediately moved the team to Indianapolis, where the team became Railroad City Soccer Club. The team, made up of mostly veterans, would stay relevant for several more years, winning a third championship in 1990. However, things once again took a turn for the worse and in 1991, the FBI began investigating part-owner Chris Steiner's firm Steiner-McCollough for fraud (think Enron).

Seeing this, the league's other owners voted to remove the team from Circle City's control. The team began life under the ownership of Xavier Peck, who promised a bright future for the squad. His promise could not have been farther from the truth. Just after the 1990 championship, most of the team's veterans retired, leaving a large group of young players who were simply not up to snuff, and the team plummeted in the league standings. This, along with the recent scandal, quickly led to a decline in attendance and merchandise sales. By 1998, Railroad City was bankrupt, and Peck decided to sell the team.

The team was purchased by Alan Herceg, a businessman from St. Louis. He promptly moved the team to St. Louis, and renamed them the St. Louis Voyagers, as both a reference to St. Louis' history as "the Gateway to the West," and as a subtle joke about the team's history of relocation. After several seasons of rebuilding, the Voyagers were back at the pinnacle, winning the league championship in 2008. This led many fans to fear that the team would soon be located due to Herceg being arrested. It hasn't happened yet.

Voyagerslogo_zps6690395e.png

CREST

I finally did a blue and red team!

The Voyagers crest features three main elements: an arch, representing the city of St. Louis' famous landmark, a soccer ball, and a checkered design. The checkered design represents Herceg's Croatian ancestry, as well as St. Louis' Croatian population. Rather than just using Croatia's red checkers, the team's creative department decided to go with blue instead, providing the team with its own unique identity. The word Voyagers is presented in red under the soccer ball and arch.

CLICK FOR ORIGINAL UNIFORM

VoyagersUniforms_zpsa5e3ea1d.png

UNIFORMS

St. Louis' uniforms are manufactured by Nike and feature St. Louis-based Nestlé Purina PetCare as the shirt sponsor. Unlike the other teams in the league, the Voyagers do not feature stars above the crest. The checkers make the stars nearly impossible to see, so they were placed upon the back collar.

PRIMARY

The primary uniforms are blue and white checkered with a white back, which are inspired by the checkered design upon the crest. The back features red numbers. The shorts are plain white, and are paired with red socks, featuring a checkered strip at the top.

The shirt sponsor is rather unique and was developed to incorporate the sponsor into the uniform itself. Purina's logo is a simple red checkerboard that could be placed upon the checkerboard uniform in a subtle way. No words are used, but the red checkers stand out against the blue checkers, creating a unique design.

CLASH

The clash uniforms are primarily red with blue shorts. The shirt features a vertical checkered strip down the center of the chest and back, as well as red socks with the same checkered pattern. The numbers and name on the back are white. The chest features Purina's full logo, which combines both the checkerboard as well as the company's name.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

St. Louis is designed well. I've never been a big fan of the checker design, but that doesn't mean it isn't used well here. That Purina logo is a little too hidden, though.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

CUYAHOGA F.C.

The 17th team in the ASF is one of the first six, and calls Cleveland, Ohio its home. Originally the league's powerhouse, Cuyahoga won six championships in the league's first 15 seasons. However, this would be the last time the team won a championship. In 1964, it appeared that Cuyahoga would win the championship for a 7th time. In the league final, Cuyahoga led Pittsburgh 3-0 in the 50th minute. Team captain and legend, Vincent Astor, stepped up to take a penalty kick, and missed off the crossbar. In the ensuing rush to the ball, Astor suffered a broken ankle, ending his game and season. Pittsburgh then came charging back, scoring goals in the 54th, 66th, and 90(+2) minute to send the game into extra time. A 116th minute goal would complete the comeback and ruin Cuyahoga's repeat chance. Astor's Curse, as it became known, would become the first of the many painful losses that Cleveland fans would face in the city's 49 year championship drought.

CuyahogaCrest_zpsf4d70ad4.png

CREST

Cuyahoga's name is based upon the Cuyahoga River, which runs through the city, and Cuyahoga County, in which the city sits. Cuyahoga is the Iroquois word for "crooked river," which would become the inspiration for the crest. The main shape of the crest is inspired by the flag of the Iroquois Confederacy. The tree, as well as the purple color scheme, are influenced directly by the flag. Inside the tree are three elements. First is a Wampum Belt-inspired design depicting the Cuyahoga River. Above the river is a depiction of the sun, inspired by the fans' original rally song, "The Sun Shines on Cuyahoga." The original crest did not feature this element, but was added over time in honor of the fans. Finally, at the bottom are the letters CFC, another element that was not originally in the crest. Behind the tree is a rectangle representing a wampum belt. This, along with the tree stump, was added in 1960 in order to further differentiate the design from Fargo's pentagon design.

CuyahogaUniforms_zps45453586.png

UNIFORMS

Cuyahoga's uniforms are maufactured by Adidas and feature Cleveland-based company Progressive as the shirt sponsor. The team has become Adidas' guinea pig in recent seasons, and is one of the few ASF teams to wear the newest Adidas template this season. The crest on the primary and clash uniforms feature two stars, one white (representing 5 championships) and one purple (representing one championship).

PRIMARY

The primary uniform is purple and features a sublimated river pattern. The design is created out of small beads that are only seen from up close. The jersey features white and black stripe accents on the sleeve, and on the neck, utilizing Adidas' current design elements.The names and numbers are white with black outlines. The shorts are white with the signature triple stripe, and the socks are purple.

CLASH

The clash is neon, featuring a stripe pattern upon the chest. This is black with smaller diagonal lines, creating a lightning bolt pattern when viewed up close. All the design elements upon the jersey are black (excluding the team crest). The shorts are black, and feature the only non-crest element of the jersey that includes white. The socks color and design match the shorts.

CuyahogaThird_zps2a235ed7.png

CLASH

The third jersey is inspired by Cuyahoga's original uniforms. Originally they were simple white shirts with a chest number and purple shorts. However, the new design features a shirt sponsor and the Adidas triple stripe, as well as a modern Adidas font. The crest on the jersey is a pentagon shape with the river design.

Bring on the C+C for this, as well as for St. Louis.

Two more amazing concepts. I especially like Saint Louis's checkered pattern, as it simultaneously alludes to the connections to Croatia, the franchise's previous homes (Detroit and Indianapolis being automotive hotspots) and the franchise's, ahem, checkered past.

Of course, even the Cleveland Curse lives on in concepts! :lol:

Anyways, I really love the crest and I love that you used Cuyahoga FC instead of Cleveland FC. I do think the black outlines on the primary shirt kind of muddy up the look per se. I would use minimal black, especially on the outline of the numbers. Great job on the whole series, can't believe I hadn't seen this before today!

spacer.png

Dang missed your last 2 updates but this series still looks great. The checkers on the St Louis Home are a little small for my liking, but I guess that makes it unique so I can overlook. The Cuyahoga look is really special, the unique crest, colours and that little river pattern really toe it together well. Im on my phone so I cant really see up close but I hope that river design is implemented in the jersey somewhere - I believe I see it on the Purple Home jersey.

I just recently discovered this thread, and I'm extremely impressed. Not only are the concepts top notch, but the histories you've written for each team are great.

As for the last two concepts, both are really good. I like the overall look for St. Louis, and the Native American inspiration for Cleveland is really cool. My only suggestion would be to limit the checkers on the Voyagers' primary kit to just the front of the shirt (none on the sleeves). Right now it's a little too much.

Of course, even the Cleveland Curse lives on in concepts! :lol:

Anyways, I really love the crest and I love that you used Cuyahoga FC instead of Cleveland FC. I do think the black outlines on the primary shirt kind of muddy up the look per se. I would use minimal black, especially on the outline of the numbers. Great job on the whole series, can't believe I hadn't seen this before today!

Well, I had to make it realistic, and that means no recent championships for Cleveland, haha.

St. Louis is designed well. I've never been a big fan of the checker design, but that doesn't mean it isn't used well here. That Purina logo is a little too hidden, though.

Dang missed your last 2 updates but this series still looks great. The checkers on the St Louis Home are a little small for my liking, but I guess that makes it unique so I can overlook. The Cuyahoga look is really special, the unique crest, colours and that little river pattern really toe it together well. Im on my phone so I cant really see up close but I hope that river design is implemented in the jersey somewhere - I believe I see it on the Purple Home jersey.

I just recently discovered this thread, and I'm extremely impressed. Not only are the concepts top notch, but the histories you've written for each team are great.

As for the last two concepts, both are really good. I like the overall look for St. Louis, and the Native American inspiration for Cleveland is really cool. My only suggestion would be to limit the checkers on the Voyagers' primary kit to just the front of the shirt (none on the sleeves). Right now it's a little too much.

Thanks for the input on St. Louis, guys. I went back and took each of your comments into account in the new concept. It can be seen in the original team post.

can we see secondaries, wordmarkz, etc.?

I saw a slight "dirigo" on the logo.

Also, the colors do match the baseball team too much. But nice job here

Soccer teams don't usually have secondaries or wordmarkz.

actually if the team is typically from the USA or Australia they do, the MLS has done it in the past and it is feasible that a league could do this and migrate the sponsors to the shirt back, since US teams like to draw inspiration from the spanish leagues this is a plausible (and a highly different) option to consider on a few of these teams

now LaFarge, i love what you are doing here the logos and kits are top quality and im finding it hard to pick fault with them, but i AM going to give you a little tip to help you with your future club naming conventions,

currently i love that the majority of your clubs have US naming as opposed to European naming, but i think if you are going to do this for one or two you should at least consider the actual meaning of these names before choosing them ....its not a big issue obviously i just think if your going to be thorough an understanding (and im not saying your not) is helpful,

you see it kind of bugs me when american teams don't take this into account as such ..no offence, i love detailed club history's and detailed reasoning behind using certain designs, it adds character and since yours have this in spades i feel it would add extra dimension to actually take this into account

ultimately its your choice ...but here are a few to get you on track if you need it

• obviously FC, CF, and AFC you already know, ...they all denote the club plays association football as opposed to rugby football, but did you know that AFC can also mean "a fans club" - a club formed by fans of a bigger team in homage to it, either out of respect, or because the owners did something to piss them off
  • the term Real means Royal and indicates a teams connection to royalty - also the term Royal itself can be used (Royal Charleroi)
  • RC or "Racing" (Racing Santander, RC Lens) means Racing Club - the team might have links to say, the indie 500 (or maybe watkins glen is nearby) or maybe even horse racing
  • SC or "Sporting" (Sporting Lisbon) mean Sporting Club, - the club is part of a multi sport playing association
  • AC means Athletic Club - denotes they have a running track or used to be part of a club that does athletic sports like javlin, discus ect, the spanish version is Atletico (Atletico Madrid)
  • CD means Club Deportivo - witch means sports club, again a link to a multi sport playing association
  • "Inter" means Internazionale -basically telling us the club buys none italian players (AC Milan used to only buy italians in the 50s)
  • SS means Socia Sportiva, and is the italian version of SC and CD

so theirs a few pointers, again i stress im not saying that you dont know this or that you should consider them, im just saying that perhaps adding the club being part of a wide range of sports to the history of CD Fenix (im assuming its pronounced pheonix) might be a nice touch lol

Alright, I've got two more teams completed and coming to you guys in the next couple of days.

First up,

DES MOINES SOCCER CLUB -- "The Goldfinches"

In 1972, the city of Des Moines was awarded an ASF franchise to expand the league's presence into the Mid West. Owner Anthony Steinway quickly announced that the team would become the league's top franchise within three years. In order to do this, Steinway offered numerous lucrative contracts to the best players from around the world. Des Moines' 1972 roster consisted of 12 players from outside of North America, and had the highest payroll in the history of the ASF (a record that would be topped by Des Moines several times). Leading this squad was 21-year old Uruguayan Aurelio Gutierrez, who would famously lead his nation to a World Cup victory in 1986 in front of his home nation (Hint: The ASF exists in an alternate universe). This roster made ASF history, winning the championship in its inaugural season. As the Goldfinches payroll increased, the league's other teams began complaining. However, no action would be taken since the team had only won two championships. In 1986, the Goldfinches came off two seasons of dominance, and other clubs began to struggle keeping up. The league acted by establishing a loose salary cap, reining in the team's spending. To this day, Des Moines fans blame the league for the team's lack of a championship since 1986.

ASFNPDesMoinesCrest_zps059b6453.png

CREST

Des Moines' crest features a side view of an American Goldfinch, the state bird of Iowa. The crest purposely takes on a characteristic of logos from other American sports as a part of Steinway's efforts to "Americanize" the league. The look caught on and has become a loved crest for fans. Below the goldfinch head is an asymmetrical triangle shape, representing the flapping wing of the bird. A simple green banner is placed at the bottom, featuring the club's initials.

DesMoinesUniforms_zps62ed83e6.png

UNIFORMS

Des Moines is outfitted by Nike and features four stars above the crest, representing the four championships the team has won. It should also be noted that due to the crest's unique shape, the crest is placed up on the right leg and the number on the left. The shirt sponsor is Wells Fargo, which has one of its more important offices in the city of Des Moines (referred to as a hubquarter).

PRIMARY

Des Moines' primary uniform is yellow with green sleeves. Upon the sleeves are white chevrons. This design is based upon the American Goldfinch, which features similar patterns on its wings. The shorts and socks feature a similar design.

CLASH

The clash uniform is green and features a chevron. The Chevron features a yellow-white-green-yellow-white pattern, which gives the appearance of two separate chevrons. The stars are placed on the sleeves to make up for this chevron. The shorts are plain white, and feature green numbers that match the pattern found on the jersey.

Hit me with some C+C please. Also, up next: The Richmond Cavalry (and an explanation behind the use of 'Cavalry' by multiple teams.)

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was gonna wait a few days to post Richmond, but I couldn't wait.

RICHMOND CAVALRY

When founding the league in 1948, the five owners decided to award the sixth and final franchise to Richmond, Virginia, giving the league a presence in the South. The team's identity was developed based Virginia's important place in American history. Virginia is regarded as "The Mother of Presidents," due to being the birthplace of eight presidents, and was home to Patrick Henry's famous "Liberty or Death" speech. The team selected a red, white, and blue color scheme to reflect these important political contributions. The team also selected the name Cavalry to honor the Virginia Military Institute and the Arlington National Cemetery. This version of the name was originally a nickname, utilized like most team names in the US. However, when Fargo joined the league in 1957, they also selected to use the name, angering to Richmond franchise and fans, igniting a rivalry between the two squads that continues to this day.

In the meantime, several teams in other leagues, hoping to emulate the success of the ASF teams, also starting using the name Cavalry as well. Soon, teams with no military affiliation whatsoever, resulting in an altered meaning to the word, and giving it a meaning closer to United. By the time San Diego joined in 1968, Cavalry was being used across the country. In 1985, the ASF banned the use of Cavalry for any new teams joining the league in order to increase variation amongst teams. It should be noted that this rule will not apply to any lower level team currently using the name when the brand new pro/rel system begins in 2015.

RichmondCrest_zpsb4e384a5.png

CREST

Richmond's circular crest is based on the flag of Richmond, which features a blue base with red and white stripes at the bottom. Within the blue section are two crossed spears. Why spears? Both the flag and seal of the state of Virginia feature a woman, representing Virtus (virtue) who stands above a man representing Tyranny, while holding a spear. This spear was selected to represent the strength of the team. The spears are surrounded by three stars, which are used to represent the connection to American politics. The number of stars does not have any meaning, and were implemented simply for aesthetic balance.

ASFNPRichmondPrimaryUniform_zps1b68d338.

UNIFORMS

Richmond's uniforms are manufactured by Nike, and the league's only uniform that does not feature a jersey sponsor of any kind. Above the crest are two stars which, along with the three stars within the crest, represent the five championships the team has won.

PRIMARY

Richmond's uniforms feature a modern take upon the team's classic chest stripes. The current version features a red-white-blue stripe pattern on a white jersey. The stripes feature gradients causing the stripes to disappear at the bottom of the shirt. The shorts and socks also are white, with the socks featuring a stripe pattern.

CLASH

The clash uniforms are a blue version of the primary uniforms, featuring a red-blue-white stripe pattern and white numbers, with navy shorts and socks.

RichmondCityPride_zps90f51580.png

THIRD

The third jersey is a city pride uniform based upon the design of the flag. The uniform features a mainly navy blue uniform with the striping pattern from the crest at the bottom of the shirt. The shorts and socks are also red bringing the entire uniform's design together.

Archived