– U P D A T E – Memphis Grizzlies logo overhaul – Secondary and word mark logo

Go Red Sox!

This is my latest logo concept – this time for the Memphis Grizzlies, using the original team colors (source: ColorWerx). A secondary logo and the usual word mark logos, as well as a uniform concept plus court design, will follow.

After the primary logo, here now is the secondary logo and the main word mark logo. Another secondary and word mark logos will follow in the next days. Feedback is welcome.

MemphisGrizzliesprimarylogo_zps8c452259.

Primary logo

MemphisGrizzliessecondarylogo_zps4d54fdc

Secondary logo

MemphisGrizzlieswordmarklogo_zps5e02e9d9

Main word mark logo

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. Good incorporation of the wordmark. The blue stars are getting a little truncated do to the navy stroke around the bear. Curious if there are other shapes or accents that could be used instead of the stars.

Overall, I would say it is an upgrade.

Thank you! The three stars on each side next to the bear head represent the three stars on the Tennessee state flag.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I feel as if the stars are a bit unnecessary despite them being from the flag. They just clutter an otherwise great logo. I say just remove the stars on both sides and you've got yourself a winner

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I like it. Good incorporation of the wordmark. The blue stars are getting a little truncated do to the navy stroke around the bear. Curious if there are other shapes or accents that could be used instead of the stars.

Overall, I would say it is an upgrade.

Thank you! The three stars on each side next to the bear head represent the three stars on the Tennessee state flag.

I totally missed that connection. Duh!

I'm not in favor of the grizzly with its mouth open looking straight forward. It's almost like it's trying to play show and tell with the inside of its mouth rather than trying to bite or intimidate you. If the grizzly were at an angle with its mouth open or looking straight forward with its mouth closed (much like the logo now) it'd be a better alternative.

Also, I'd remove the three stars from the logo. I understand the symbolism and know the team is physically located in the state Tennessee but Memphis is in the extreme southwest corner of the state. The Grizzlies probably want to draw fans from Mississippi and Arkansas, and possibly Missouri and Kentucky as well. Having the stars there kind of indicates that the Grizzlies are for Tennessee part of the Memphis metro area only.

I like this idea!

The eyes could look a bit more squinted/fierce. Also, I'm not a fan of three shades of blue. I think you could probably make the lightest blue (on the left side of the nose/mout) the same as the middle shade and it would look just fine.

This is sweet! In my opinion better than what they've got now. However, someone on these boards posted something about the Grizzlies dropping the double blue for black and grey, that could be a cool idea, if you want to try that. :P

Here's a comparison between the original logo that I posted and the new and edited one. The bear now looks a lot more intimidating and fierce. I did not give the logo a three-shade look as @rcb05 suggested yesterday, meaning that the bear's snout is still smoke blue. The logo just looked plain awful with the bear's left half almost completely in so-called beale street blue. The original team colors have been used on this logo referring to ColorWerx as a source as usual. Hope you like it...

comparison_zpsbf1e290c.jpg

This is sweet! In my opinion better than what they've got now. However, someone on these boards posted something about the Grizzlies dropping the double blue for black and grey, that could be a cool idea, if you want to try that. :P

Thank you!

This means that Memphis midnight blue (navy) would be replaced by black and gray would take the place of the lightest shade of blue, smoke blue. Don't think they would dump beale street blue. Anyway, I'll give it a try...

I really like that update. it makes the bear look more fierce by a long shot. Excellent work

Thank you. I agree. Before the update he rather looked surprised than fierce, as if some other bear told him that the Cubs have won the World Series...

Huge step up from what they currently have. Like that you stayed true to their current branding to make it fit right away for them. My only small beef with this is the nose. seems too big those nostrials are really big.

Archived