Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

.Based on a quick search, metro Montreal is 3.8M people. You are speculating that there will be a >30% increase in 11 years. That's... optimistic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.Based on a quick search, metro Montreal is 3.8M people. You are speculating that there will be a >30% increase in 11 years. That's... optimistic.

24%. A little over 2% a year, why not?

24% would bring it to around 4.7 million. He said 5 million.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My math was off, my bad. Regardless, it's a rapidly growing city. I think a second pro team in the future is inevitable.

Well, you seem to have done all your homework on this matter. I'm convinced.

Well the PQ did get trounced in the recent provincial elections, so maybe that'll stem the exodus of what's left of the Anglo Quebecer population and make the Expos sorta viable...

...who am I kidding? It's dead, Jim.

Well the PQ did get trounced in the recent provincial elections, so maybe that'll stem the exodus of what's left of the Anglo Quebecer population and make the Expos sorta viable...

It's ok, we'll always have the time when the Bloquistes were the Official Opposition.

Related-First Past the Post and a multiparty system can sometimes generate amazing outcomes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's ok, we'll always have the time when the Bloquistes were the Official Opposition.

Related-First Past the Post and a multiparty system can sometimes generate amazing outcomes.

Oh yes...that magical time when the separatists were Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

blue-screen-of-death-demotivational-post

That's some quality pedantry. Because no one would ever round and say "five million" for an area with that population.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That's some quality pedantry. Because no one would ever round and say "five million" for an area with that population.

Of course they would round, but he was trying to correct my accurate number with one that made it appear a little easier of a goal to hit. If we're talking "targets", then you shouldn't round. If a target is 5 million, you don't celebrate at 4,500,001.

Doesn't matter though - either number is not realistic in such a short period of time.

My math was off, my bad. Regardless, it's a rapidly growing city. I think a second pro team in the future is inevitable.

Well, you seem to have done all your homework on this matter. I'm convinced.

Thanks. I've done a bit of research. I appreciate the sarcasm as well, especially after my apology, but since you'd like to keep this conversation going:

Of course they would round, but he was trying to correct my accurate number with one that made it appear a little easier of a goal to hit. If we're talking "targets", then you shouldn't round. If a target is 5 million, you don't celebrate at 4,500,001.

Doesn't matter though - either number is not realistic in such a short period of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Montreal

According to a recently published report by the city of Montreal, the population of the island is expected to number 1,991,200 by 2012, with 3.9 million in the Greater Montreal Area, an increase of 15.8% over 2001. The current estimate of the Montreal CMA population, as of July 1, 2013, according to Statistics Canada is 3,981,802.[8] According to StatsCan, by 2030, the Greater Montreal Area is expected to number 5,275,000 with 1,722,000 being visible minorities.[9]

So 3.9 million in July 2013, which means it's fairly safe to say the population is now over 4 million.

A 15.8% growth rate in 11 years between '01-'12. Let's, just for argument's sake say that it maintains the same growth rate. In 2023, the population will hit 4.7 million. In 2025, it will be approaching 5 million. As per my original point.

sig.png

Even if Montreal grows, where are those people coming from? Not from the wombs of les Quebecoises; the province has been freaking out over its low birth rate for about 40 years. They're coming from Europe, South America, Middle East. Those have soccer nations.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Even if Montreal grows, where are those people coming from? Not from the wombs of les Quebecoises; the province has been freaking out over its low birth rate for about 40 years. They're coming from Europe, South America, Middle East. Those have soccer nations.

Which is why I said basketball would work before baseball for numerous reasons. This immigrant influx is mostly of people who yes, like soccer, but also basketball.

The major reason is the cost. It would cost a fraction of that of a baseball team. Arena already in place.

Basketball fans that don't really have a regional allegiance to any team because of the city rivalry between them and Toronto. Virgin fans.

sig.png

My favourite example of language police nonsense was when they confiscated Dunkin' Doughnuts bags, claiming the name wasn't French. It barely qualifies as English!

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1999_12_24_newyorktimes.html

Archived