Tigers6884

Nordiques or Expos?

The 2 exhibition games between the Mets and Blue Jays at Stade Olympique are close to selling out. There's still a lot of love for the Expos.

That second sentence has absolutely nothing to do with the first.

The 2 exhibition games between the Mets and Blue Jays at Stade Olympique are close to selling out. There's still a lot of love for the Expos.

Yes it does. The theory is that these exhibition games will test the marketability baseball may still have in Montreal.

Yes it does. The theory is that these exhibition games will test the marketability baseball may still have in Montreal.

Because two exhibition games announced far in advance are a great way to test the fitness of a market to support a 6-month long 81-date regular season. This isn't even apples and oranges.

Because two exhibition games announced far in advance are a great way to test the fitness of a market to support a 6-month long 81-date regular season. This isn't even apples and oranges.

Hey, in the two exhibition games they could end up selling more tickets than the Rays do all season...

Hey, in the two exhibition games they could end up selling more tickets than the Rays do all season...

LOL NO.

Exactly. Plus even if we were to pretend that the exhibition game attendance meant anything, "they like pro baseball" is in no way the same thing as "There's still a lot of love for the Expos."

No it could just mean people wanted to see the Blue Jays and/or Mets. The Expos weren't even playing. That's like saying the Rays would do well down under because of the turnout for the Dodgers/Diamondbacks in Australia.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

Montreal wants the Expos back.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

Again, the former doesn't confirm :censored: about the latter.

It's like saying good attendance at an American Legion convention is a sign that we need to get our war on. (by jingo!)

You really need to start realizing that your own personal opinion is not actually factual information.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

I'm glad to see that they're also going to honor Gary Carter. Montreal should have never been abondened as a baseball town by the MLB, and it brings me joy that they're trying to reverse their mistake. As for those of you who say that these games have nothing to do with the Expos, see how many people at the games wear Expos apparel apposed to Mets or Blue Jays stuff.

Here's a wild question- why wouldn't MLB book the Nationals to play? I mean wouldn't it make more sense?

Here's a wild question- why wouldn't MLB book the Nationals to play? I mean wouldn't it make more sense?

That would be like rubbing Salt in the wound.

Plus NYC is relatively close to Montreal so they probably figured they'd get some Mets fans to go the game. So, no it wouldn't make more sense for the Nationals.

I'm actually surprised Selig didn't do it... after all, he's done just about anything else he can think of to :censored: on Montreal.

I still think the Rays will eventually end up moving to Montreal, it just makes too much sense.

I am all for a comeback of baseball in MTL but who will pay 500M + for a new stadium?

I am all for a comeback of baseball in MTL but who will pay 500M + for a new stadium?

Jeffrey Loria.......

Jeffrey Loria.......

*stares*

OK, stay quiet Junior, Mommy and Daddy are talking.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

I'm glad to see that they're also going to honor Gary Carter. Montreal should have never been abondened as a baseball town by the MLB, and it brings me joy that they're trying to reverse their mistake. As for those of you who say that these games have nothing to do with the Expos, see how many people at the games wear Expos apparel apposed to Mets or Blue Jays stuff.

Look Junior, you were 5 when the Expos moved, so you have no clue 1) how badly MLB salted the Earth when it moved the Expos and 2) that demographic changes within Montreal (the city has become increasingly French and hostile to "Anglo" sports, such as baseball) over the last few decades weaken the city as a baseball market.

2) that demographic changes within Montreal (the city has become increasingly French and hostile to "Anglo" sports, such as baseball) over the last few decades weaken the city as a baseball market.

Yep. That's what everyone in the American "bring the Expos back" contingent ignores. Regardless of how many times it's explained. Montreal is mostly a Francophone city now, with a rump English presence. The French, as it turns out, never really took to the Expos like the English did. So now that most English Montrealers have left a new team in Montreal would have to rely on support from a population that never really supported the Expos en mass. For the entirety of a baseball season. I'm sorry. I don't see it.

Major League Baseball will NOT be returning to Montreal EVER or at least in our lifetime. I'm likely to see Bigfoot, The Mothman and the Jersey Devil before MLB returns to Montreal.