Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would personally love to see the Expos return. The first MLB game I ever attended was in Montreal and I grew up in a family full of Expos fans. While I was only 2 going on 3 when the strike happened, my dad and grandpa have said that it really killed their love for baseball. Since I've been living in Southern Ontario I've been bombarded with the Blue Jays every spring (things usually get quiet midway through the summer :P), but I haven't made the switch. With that being said, I think bringing the Nordiques back would be a much more viable option. They have arena plans in place and would obviously be able to meet the demand requirements. From where it stands I don't think we'll be seeing either team returning any time soon. While the NHL has expressed interest in expansion, the conference imbalance means that they're looking at western markets (Seattle, Las Vegas, KC).

Selig gets a bum rap on this move.

Montreal could have kept the Expos. All they had to do was what every other :censored: ing city in North America has to do - spend public money on a ballpark.

Good on Quebec for refusing, but you can't then complain about the inevitable consequence.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

Montreal wants the Expos back.

You really need to start realizing that your own personal opinion is not actually factual information.
Prove to me that Montreal doesn't want the Expos back. I never stated my opinion on the matter.

They are going to have ceremonies honoring Gary Carter. A 20th Anniversary reunion of the '94 Expos will take place to coincide with the exhibition games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/baseball/montreal-hopes-mets-blue-jays-exhibition-is-just-the-beginning.html

You really need to start realizing that your own personal opinion is not actually factual information.
Prove to me that Montreal doesn't want the Expos back. I never stated my opinion on the matter.

We have. You're just too illiterate to pick up on it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Burden's on you man. You stated that Montreal wants the Expos back without any legitimate evidence to back in up. Strictly your opinion. All you have is an exhibition series between Canada's only team and another from the largest market in North America. That proves nothing about the fans of Montreal supporting a team for 81 games. Just like when you say everyone wants pullovers back. That's only you saying you want it without any proof that the "masses" want them to return.

It was a shame watching the final game at Tiger Stadium (Detroit) DVD that came in a box set I had of classic Detroit Tigers games and seeing that the broadcasters were talking to Bud Selig, who talked about moving the Expos in 1999! I think Selig plotted against the Expos, and Jeff Loria was just who he needed to execute his plan.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

We've used NHL exhibitions to gauge the interest of Kansas City. We've used Buffalo's NFL games to judge Toronto. We've used OKC's temporary fervor for the Hornets to justify an otherwise off-the-radar NBA market.

I don't think it's a stretch to say a good turnout to two heavily Expos-themed exhibition games is a decent measuring stick. Or at least the best one we can realistically expect to get. It doesn't mean they can sell out 81 games or build a new ballpark. But to think this isn't being used to position Montreal as a viable option -- even in perception only -- is naive.

MLB has an A's and Rays problem. And no leverage.

But I digress... read the NY Times article PD linked. These games are more about the Expos than you guys realize.

Selig gets a bum rap on this move.

Montreal could have kept the Expos. All they had to do was what every other :censored: ing city in North America has to do - spend public money on a ballpark.

Good on Quebec for refusing, but you can't then complain about the inevitable consequence.

Wasn't at least one iteration of Labatt Park one of those deals where you propose something extravagant and ridiculous just to be denied so you can say you tried (e.g., Clay Bennett's proposed $500-million palace out in Renton that no sane person could approve)? Furthermore, the city and province had already spent millions upon millions of dollars on the Stade Olympique money pit, so it's not as if they had a philosophical opposition to wasting money on sports. They just couldn't afford to build a new ballpark after all the money they spent on the old one and keep doing all the things a city needs to do. Maybe it was an inherently doomed situation, but Selig and Loria certainly didn't help matters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Selig gets a bum rap on this move.Montreal could have kept the Expos. All they had to do was what every other :censored: ing city in North America has to do - spend public money on a ballpark.Good on Quebec for refusing, but you can't then complain about the inevitable consequence.

Wasn't at least one iteration of Labatt Park one of those deals where you propose something extravagant and ridiculous just to be denied so you can say you tried (e.g., Clay Bennett's proposed $500-million palace out in Renton that no sane person could approve)? Furthermore, the city and province had already spent millions upon millions of dollars on the Stade Olympique money pit, so it's not as if they had a philosophical opposition to wasting money on sports. They just couldn't afford to build a new ballpark after all the money they spent on the old one and keep doing all the things a city needs to do. Maybe it was an inherently doomed situation, but Selig and Loria certainly didn't help matters.

This sorta sounds like the whole O.co Coliseum situation in Oakland.

Selig gets a bum rap on this move.Montreal could have kept the Expos. All they had to do was what every other :censored: ing city in North America has to do - spend public money on a ballpark.Good on Quebec for refusing, but you can't then complain about the inevitable consequence.

Sort of not really.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sort of not really.
I meant that the Athletics are trapped into their current dump of a stadium, like the Expos were before their demise.

Yes, but the Athletics don't want to leave the Bay Area, which is an important distinction.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived