Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

Wasn't at least one iteration of Labatt Park one of those deals where you propose something extravagant and ridiculous just to be denied so you can say you tried (e.g., Clay Bennett's proposed $500-million palace out in Renton that no sane person could approve)?

I don't know about that. But I do know that the final version of Labatt Park was exactly the opposite. It had a price tag of US$250M, $150 million to come through the sale of government-backed bonds based on projected income taxes paid by players. Seems ludicrously cheap, now - a recent study indicated that it'll cost $1.1B (in fairness, not sure if that's USD or CAD) to bring a team back to Montreal, $335M from the government.

Was Loria a lousy owner? Sure. But there was also a good-faith effort to keep the Expos in Montreal. The city made its choices - legitimate choices, to be sure, but they own the consequences.

I love Montreal, and I'd love to see baseball back. Shame it ever left in the first place.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What rivalry do think would be more re-ignited: Expos vs Blue Jays or Nordiques and Canadians?

Considering Canada is absolutely psychotic about hockey and lukewarm at best about baseball, I'll go with the latter.

A great show of support for the Montreal Expos tonight! This was made possible because of the love for the Expos. Rays: Expos 2.0?

Or expansion. Portland in the AL and Montreal in their familiar place in the NL.

Oh to be 14 and delusional again. Fortunately spring break ends for you today.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A great show of support for the Montreal Expos tonight! This was made possible because of the love for the Expos. Rays: Expos 2.0?

Or expansion. Portland in the AL and Montreal in their familiar place in the NL.

Oh to be 14 and delusional again. Fortunately spring break ends for you today.

Actually, it begins in two weeks, jerk. We do have quite a interesting rivalry, don't we?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Selig gets a bum rap on this move.

Dude, Selig and Loria and John Henry conspired together in a deal that stinks to high heaven. They all got rich and Montreal got screwed.

Not just them. Don't forget baseball's involvement into sending Frank McCourt to the Dodgers.

Repeating bizarre conspiracy theories doesn't make them any more true.

Far from getting "screwed", Montreal got exactly what they wanted. The only reason the Expos aren't now in Montreal is because Montreal didn't want them. Only $100M could have kept them in town, but Montreal wasn't interested. It was entirely their choice.

I know it wasn't their fault. Any way you slice it, the Expos were ultimately doomed. Stadium, demographics, strike season, Loria, there was no way that team was going to hold on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There was a pretty good segment on TSN before the game last night, talking about feasibility studies of a new franchise in Montreal, blah, blah and it seemed to be very doable.

But, it was also pointed out that no current team is in desperate shape enough to relocate. Both the Rays and A's with their stadium issues, are still making money and are very successful.

sig.png

Aren't the separatists making noise again? Weird, I thought the PQ was basically eradicated in the last round of elections in favor of the NDP.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived