Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

That's not saying much, since Tampa Bay is hands-down the worst market in baseball and in the conversation for worst market in pro sports (which, given the competition, is pretty staggering).

It is a pretty terrible market, but it's been the success story of the NHL in the sun belt. The Lightning have never had attendance problems. The team was atrocious for the first 10 years of its existence, but still managed to get 15,000 people in the stands. Since their cup win 10 years ago, they've pretty much been in the top half of the league in attendance including a few years in the top 5-10.

“Success story" excluding Phoenix.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not saying much, since Tampa Bay is hands-down the worst market in baseball and in the conversation for worst market in pro sports (which, given the competition, is pretty staggering).

It is a pretty terrible market, but it's been the success story of the NHL in the sun belt. The Lightning have never had attendance problems. The team was atrocious for the first 10 years of its existence, but still managed to get 15,000 people in the stands. Since their cup win 10 years ago, they've pretty much been in the top half of the league in attendance including a few years in the top 5-10.

“Success story" excluding Phoenix.

Huh?

I'm saying it's one of the sun belt teams that has thrived throughout their entire existence. The California teams really being the only others. Dallas, Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Carolina to a lesser extent, Atlanta obviously, have all had, or have, major problems.

sig.png

If (when) Montreal ever does bring back the Expos, which uniforms do you think they should use? Their originals with the pinwheel hats, or the 90s jerseys with the pinstripes? The same could be asked for the Nordiques. Classics or the unused uniforms with the teal and blue color?

These: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/elvx1ypthwdarz6j2decfkjzf/Montreal_Expos/1980/Home_Uniform

vs. these: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/flcubfehy7518zqqpdzffuhrl/Montreal_Expos/1992/Home_Uniform

And these: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/jaemga78nbn19vz7k7fsgjtg7/Quebec_Nordiques/1992/Road_Uniform

vs. these: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/c72hgmvtcvxu8bmqvogo/Quebec_Nordiques/1996/Unused_Uniform

90s set. I don't normally care much for gray roads, but....

f0e6giohaz2oknfhkg33q4akr.gif

BEAUTY.

But this would have to make an appearance as an alternate

bbkhcfypphwy7hfinevfrgg3u.gif

And the Nordiques would have to go with some sort of modernization of their original set. Even if they had stayed in Quebec City and rebranded to that purple/ teal husky crap, there would've been an uproar on a NY Islanders Fisherman scale.

sig.png

The 90s set is another one that would benefit from losing the white. Just red outlined in blue, or solid blue or red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know about hockey, but Tampa Bay has been a failed baseball market. And as a baseball market, that failure ranks right up there with any bad market in any pro sport. That's what I meant.

How much of it this because of where The Trop is located and the demographics of such location (St. Petersburg)? I'm willing to bet that more people would see a Rays game if it were situated near the Times Forum or Raymond James.

I don't know about hockey, but Tampa Bay has been a failed baseball market. And as a baseball market, that failure ranks right up there with any bad market in any pro sport. That's what I meant.

How much of it this because of where The Trop is located and the demographics of such location (St. Petersburg)? I'm willing to bet that more people would see a Rays game if it were situated near the Times Forum or Raymond James.

That's what the apologists sometimes say. But I have no sympathy for anyone who can't make it to that ballpark to see one of the best teams in baseball. And yes, I've been there.

You make some very valid points on topics.

That's what the apologists sometimes say. But I have no sympathy for anyone who can't make it to that ballpark to see one of the best teams in baseball. And yes, I've been there.

90s set. I don't normally care much for gray roads, but....

f0e6giohaz2oknfhkg33q4akr.gif

BEAUTY.

But this would have to make an appearance as an alternate

bbkhcfypphwy7hfinevfrgg3u.gif

And the Nordiques would have to go with some sort of modernization of their original set. Even if they had stayed in Quebec City and rebranded to that purple/ teal husky crap, there would've been an uproar on a NY Islanders Fisherman scale.

Unfortunately, if Montreal gets another team, we would almost certainly get that awful logo back in the majors.

Like the Walgreens "W". The Nats should have been able to make a clean start with a better logo, but sentiment (and easy availability of Cooperstown Collection caps for the press conference) carried the day.

Unfortunately, if Montreal gets another team, we would almost certainly get that awful logo back in the majors.

Like the Walgreens "W". The Nats should have been able to make a clean start with a better logo, but sentiment (and easy availability of Cooperstown Collection caps for the press conference) carried the day.

Awful logo? What's so bad about the Expos logo?

What would you do if the Washington Redskins changed their name and hired all gay players, but changed their name to the Expos and used that logo?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's a terrible logo. A formless shape that supposed to maybe look like an "M" but doesn't, and contains some other shapes that are definitely supposed to be letters and some other shapes that people think are letters but aren't.

I guess everyone just has their own opinions when it comes to logos. Personally, I love the Expos logo and think its a classic.

Archived