2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

Carsh, your Crows didn't do well this weekend...another close loss by Adelaide to Melbourne of all clubs. Think you guys will make the AFL Finals this season with all your defensive problems?

The 10 has been posted for Round 7...all I can say his WOW! http://www.afl.com.au/

The worst part of that whole debacle was that I stayed up until :censored:ing almost 6 in the morning watching this when I was waking up a few hours later to watch the Villa at 10. Ugh.

I admittedly don't know enough about the sport to really make definitive statements on finals spots but with the way the season's gone, I think there's gonna be a lot of teams in contention. I'm not sure the Crows get there though, unfortunately. Might be facing a must-win already next week against Collingwood.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFL Football Operations Manager Mark Evans talks with Footy Feed about the "bump" and goal line technology coming into the game in Round 12. A good piece to watch but be warned it's 12 minutes long

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-13/mark-evans-special

The AFL's The 10 for Round 8 was put up and another doozey from this past round. With Josh Kennedy kicking 11 straight goals for West Coast in a 111 point demolishing of GWS, and Buddy Franklin leading the Swans over Hawthorn at the ANZ...some great marks to be had as well, enjoy! http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-12/the-10-round-eight

Round 9 of the AFL season kicked off with Adelaide beating the Magpies by 21 points in a defensive battle. Good to see the Crows getting back into the win column and picking up 4 points. And talking about winning in style, the Swans bomb out Essendon by 50 points to win at the Etihad. Franklin leading the way with five goals to his name. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-16/high-five-for-swans

Richmond are taking on Melbourne as I am typing this post.

In some sad news, umpire Troy Paddnell collided heads with a player during the Dons v Swans game and had to be stretched off the pitch. The worse thing about it, how many so called fans were booing as the umpire was being stretchered off...that is uncalled for.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-17/it-was-disrespectful

And finally, Matthew Pavlich will bee playing in his 300th AFL game v Geelong. Congrats!

So with Round 10 kicking off this week, the big matchup will be top of the ladder teams Port Adelaide and Hawthorn from the Adelaide Oval on Saturday with a 7:10 AEST kickoff. This should be a good contest with both teams only four points apart from each other. The depleted Hawks will be forced to make at least three changes following injuries to Cyril Rioli (hamstring) and Josh Gibson (pectoral), plus Jarryd Roughead's one-match suspension. Skipper Luke Hodge is all-but certain to return against Port Adelaide, with several others in the mix after injury layoffs. Liam Shiels (shoulder) has been out of action since round four, while Brad Sewell (hamstring) returned for Box Hill last Saturday. Whether either is deemed to have sufficient match fitness is a question for the match committee. The luckless Alex Woodward's rich vein of form could see him rewarded with his Hawks debut. Angus Litherland might be recalled for Gibson, with Matt Spangher (ankle) still in some doubt. Ruckman Jonathan Ceglar, midfielder Ben Ross and key forward Tim O'Brien were in Box Hill's best and could also be in contention. Port Adelaide's Matthew Lobbe is a chance to return to the Power's line up, having now spent two weeks recovering from calf soreness. If Lobbe is inserted back into the side as expected, Brent Renouf would be the obvious candidate to fall back to the SANFL. That could be only selection move Ken Hinkley makes, with defender Tom Jonas still a week away due to groin soreness. Hinkley has plenty of depth to look at though after the club's SANFL side posted another huge win last Saturday. Campbell Heath (27 disposals, 11 marks) and Andrew Moore (26 possessions, eight clearances, two goals) were superb, although Moore picked up a one-game suspension for a dangerous tackle. No matter how you see it going, I think this has a chance for being a high scoring footy match!

And in The10 for Round 9, there were some great individual efforts this past round with St. Kilda's Nick Riewoldt with a huge run to score a beautiful one on one goal, and the Docker's Hayden Ballantyne with two great individual efforts. Great to see Ballantyne scoring some goals and showing off his true form to the masses. Watch the link below to see The10 from Rd 9...http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-18/the-10-round-nine

Someone's streak had to end but I didn't see Richmond beating GWS by more than 100. Ugly result.

Edit: Riewoldt so close to 12. 11 and 2 still isn't a bad line.

If you're in the US and have Fox Sports 2, the Port Adelaide v Hawthorn match is on live at 230am/PT(530am/ET). Should be a good one.

Agreed 11.2 is not a bad result at all for Riewoldt. GWS is just a mess of a club. I know they are still considered an "expansion club" but they need to looking at development of their players. I know they probably won't ever push for a Grand Final but at least Grand Final Series should be in their priorities.

As for the Port Adelaide v Hawthorn game, if anyone is living in Canada it is being shown as a replay on TSN2 at 9 am this morning

The Indigenous Round and Round 11 kicks off with a huge debacle and a cat-astrophe (sorry couldn't help myself :P). The Swans breakdown and break apart Geelong 22.16 (148) - 5.8 (38). What a dominant performance for Sydney, on both sides of the ball. Tippett, Goodes and Franklin all had massive nights. Great to see the Swans finally click and come together like they were expected to.

Highlights

The pundits are already touting Sydney to be 2014 Premiership favorites.

Five talking points of the match:

1. What a difference six weeks makes
At the end of round four, the Swans were languishing in 13th position with just one win and facing questions about whether their window of opportunity was still open. In response, the Swans have won their past six games to sit inside the top four with a 7-3 win-loss record. Thursday night’s performance, in crushing the second-placed Cats - who have beaten the Swans in their past three meetings – with extreme midfield pressure and a potent three-headed forward line, leaves no doubt about their premiership credentials and should send shockwaves through the League.

2. Geelong sets a few unwanted records
The stats make difficult reading for Cats fans. The half-time total of 1.3 (9) was the club's lowest first half effort since they posted 0.4 against Carlton at Princes Park in round 12, 1977. The 110-point losing margin was Chris Scott's worst loss since taking the reins in 2011 and the first time the Cats have been beaten by more than a hundred points under his leadership. Moreover, it was the club's seventh worst loss in its history and the biggest defeat against the Sydney Swans/South Melbourne. In terms of match stats, the Swans had 466 possessions, 107 more than Geelong's 359.

3. Franklin hits a career 600 goals as Swans forwards dominate
Lance Franklin got his milestone out of the way early, making no mistake from a free kick at the 25-minute mark of the opening term when held back in a marking contest. He finished the night with four goals, while teammate Kurt Tippett booted five in an awesome display. The pair also looked to be combining well in the cosy confines of the SCG. In the opening term, Tippett ran back to take a diving mark from a well weighted Franklin pass and kicked a goal. The former Crow returned the favour late in the match when he soccered the footy to a waiting Franklin in the goalsquare, who slotted the footy through for a goal in a manner that would make Ange Postecoglou proud.

4. Thursday football a hit with Sydney fans
Having visited Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, it was the Harbour City's turn to host the Thursday night caravan and 37,355 showed up at the SCG. The attendance was higher than the 31,060 that turned up to the same fixture at the SCG in 2013 and the biggest crowd at the SCG since 39,079 came for the 2005 semi-final against the Cats. Thursday night’s clash was the fourth of five Thursday fixtures in 2014, following Richmond v Carlton in round one, Brisbane Lions v Richmond in round five and Adelaide v Collingwood in round nine. The final Thursday game comes in round 19 when Fremantle hosts Carlton.

5. Indigenous Round gets underway
The AFL has a strong history of celebrating its indigenous talent, but that hit new heights in round 11. All teams will wear a specially designed jumper, with the Swans' strip on Thursday night designed by Adam Goodes' mother Lisa Sansbury. In the lead-up to the game, Swans coach John Longmire paid tribute to two of their most prominent indigenous representatives. "Mick O'Loughlin, there's probably no greater example in the history of this footy club in regards to the importance of indigenous players to this club," he said. "I remember when 'Goodesy' played his 300th down in Tasmania, there was a speech that Mick O'Loughlin did before the game as he presented the jumper to Goodesy. It was probably one of the great memories in footy to be able to listen to that. They're certainly looking forward to this week's game." Perhaps the only blemish for Goodes was an untidy third-quarter bump on Joel Selwood that may catch the attention of the Match Review Panel.

Round 12 kicks off on Friday from the Etihad with Geelong taking on Carlton. The other big matchup for this round is the Dockers playing the Crows at Patersons Stadium.

But the big news for the week is the announcement of the 6 former footy players that got inducted into the AFL Hall of fame on June 4th. Matthew Richardson, Anthony Koutoufides, Andrew McLeod, Warren Tredrea, Ern Henfry, and Brad Johnson are the class of 2014.

www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-04/kouta-a-hall-of-famer

www.afl.com.au/video/2014-06-04/six-of-the-best-join-hall-of-fame

Heartbreaking ending for my Blues...proud of their overall effort though.

Anyway, I just wanted to say here that I recently went out to a practice of the Minnesota Freeze of the USAFL after speaking with their coach and I've gotta say playing footy is a blast. All of the players were super accommodating and willing to help/teach me. If you're even remotely interested in playing footy and there's a club in your area, I highly recommend reaching out to them!!

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I second your view Luke on playing footy if you can for a local club. I have gone out for a few training sessions myself with the Burnaby Eagles of the BCAFL. Very open and accommodating guys who are always willing to show anyone the game of footy. I had a blast the couple times I played. Great game, just wished that there was a BCAFL team here in Victoria

Anyway, I just wanted to say here that I recently went out to a practice of the Minnesota Freeze of the USAFL after speaking with their coach and I've gotta say playing footy is a blast. All of the players were super accommodating and willing to help/teach me. If you're even remotely interested in playing footy and there's a club in your area, I highly recommend reaching out to them!!

I helped found that club! :D I really should peek my head around more often. Good to hear you enjoyed it. It's come a long, long way from the early days.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

All footy clubs have to start somewhere. BCAFL only have four clubs all on the lower mainland. Mockba, how did you get on the ground floor and help form that Minnesota footy club? I would like to get involved and maybe get a footy club formed here in Victoria

I helped found that club! :D I really should peek my head around more often. Good to hear you enjoyed it. It's come a long, long way from the early days.

That's incredible!! And yes, it really seems like it. I remember following the club from afar when I was in high school but never asked to play with them until this summer (I'm 19 now).

P.S. currently watching Melbourne-Collingwood on Fox Sports 2! And the game is live! How cool is it that AFL is on live American TV

There are at least 2 live games every weekend. I hope you haven't been missing them.

Round 13 is just around the corner with Carlton taking on the Hawthorn at the MCG on Thursday morning (in North America). Other big footy games this weekend include Richmond v Fremantle and Sydney v Port Adelaide, both of them on Saturday. This Round is going to start to show who deserves a place in the Finals Series and who doesn't...

Top 8 after 12 rounds: (Round 13 Opp.)

1. Port Adelaide 40 pts (Sydney)

2. Hawthorn 32 pts (Carlton)

3. Sydney 32 pts (Port Adelaide)

4. Collingwood 32 pts (Western Bulldogs)

5. Geelong 32 pts (St. Kilda)

6. Fremantle 28 pts (Richmond)

7. North Melbourne 28 apts (Adelaide)

8. Gold Coast 28 pts (West Coast Eagles)

---------------------------------------------------------

9. Essendon 24 pts (Melbourne)

10. Adelaide 20 pts (North Melbourne)

P.S. currently watching Melbourne-Collingwood on Fox Sports 2! And the game is live! How cool is it that AFL is on live American TV

There are at least 2 live games every weekend. I hope you haven't been missing them.

I missed the first 10 rounds of live games when I was at school (the university's TV package didn't include FS2) and I haven't bothered to look up their schedule until this past week. Anything post-2 a.m. is usually a pass for me, so I was excited they were airing a match at 12!

That being said, does anyone know of a link to the schedule of games broadcasted in the U.S.? I haven't found an extremely reliable link to that yet and Fox Sports' website is a bit confusing to me.

Archived