2014 NRL Telstra Premiership

JackieMoon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharks showed some life against the Roosters, but a no go. Here soon we could see Cronulla and Newcastle out of the playoff hunt (already).

This is where the weaker clubs start dropping off to the bottom of the ladder...the fight for the wooden spoon is underway.

In Round 8 of the NRL, the Roosters, Warriors, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Cowboys and Bulldogs all picked up wins. The Rabbitohs and Sharks had to fight off the Broncos and Panthers (respectively) from stealing the points. The Bulldogs are ontop the ladder but Tigers, Sea Eagles and Titans still need to play tomorrow. All three clubs are two points behind the Bulldogs. My Bunnies are four points off the pace in a log jam for fifth place...Can you say competitive season?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lightly following the NRL this season and I need to pick a team. I'm heavily leaning toward South Sydney because their kits are gorgeous and I like their name, but they seem like a team with a large following and I wouldn't want to be considered a glory hunter at all. However, I think I'll adopt them and see where they take me.

(When it comes to international sports, I almost always choose teams based on their uniforms/logo package).

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Bulldogs and Sea Eagles are running away with the league at the moment. My Bunnies are barely holding onto the final Grand Final Play-off berth. I am getting worried. Luckily we are playing the bottom feeding Sharks this weekend.

2rz5jra.png

But the big Rugby League news is the start of the State of Origin series. The 2014 State of Origin series will be the 32nd time the annual best-of-three series between the Queensland and New South Wales rugby league teams have played entirely under 'state of origin' rules (1980 and 1981 were only 1 game series). It will be the second series to be administered by the Australian Rugby League Commission which was created in a major restructure of the sport's administration in Australia. Originally, New South Wales were to host two home matches this year, however the ARLC Commission announced in November 2012 a new five-year cycle which would see Queensland instead host two home matches this year, as well as in 2017, the Blues to host two home matches in 2016 and the remaining match in 2015 to be hosted at a neutral venue. Former Canberra, Queensland and Australian captain Mal Meninga will continue on as coach of the Queensland side, which will seek to win the State of Origin series for a ninth consecutive time, having won the past eight editions dating back to 2006. New South Wales will be coached by former Canberra, NSW and Australia captain Laurie Daley for a second consecutive year.

Game I

May 28 8pm AEST Queensland v New South Wales Suncorp Stadium

Breaking usual tradition, the Queensland squad was announced before New South Wales. Changes to the team were largely minor with Matt Gillett earning his first promotion to the starting side to replace the injured Sam Thaiday in the second-row whilst Aidan Guerra from the Sydney Roosters makes his debut from the bench. The halves combination for New South Wales were once again modified, with Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs pairing Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson (making his debut) replacing the Roosters and incumbent halves pairing of James Maloney and Mitchell Pearce. Pearce, who played in every game as halfback since the second match of the 2010 series and held the record for consecutive matches in the position, was omitted largely due to him being arrested at a Sydney nightclub for drunken misbehaviour. After missing out from the second and third games from last year due to injury, Jarryd Hayne returned to the side to reclaim his fullback role over Josh Dugan. Daniel Tupou will be the second debutant in the side to partner his Roosters teammate Michael Jennings on the left edge, with Brett Morris switching to the other side to be alongside his twin brother Josh. Beau Scott was recalled into the side in the starting second-row after being overlooked from last year's series. Joining the bench, fellow forward Tony Williams was also recalled due to improved form and likely combinations with his club teammate halves. Notable forced omissions from the squad were Greg Bird (suspension), Andrew Fifita (injury) and Boyd Cordner (injury).

• 4 months later...

Souths made the Grand Final!! Bunnies-Bulldogs...anyone have any insight on how that game should go? #3 v. #7, that can't be very common, right?

8ydy6u.png

Live from the ANZ

No 3 v 7 is not common in NRL. But I can see the Bunnies taking this match, it will be close throughout to the final 15 minutes. The Bunnies have the strongest within the last quarter of the game. Unfortunately Rabbitohs hooker Issac Luke is facing the possibility of missing the 2014 NRL Telstra Premiership grand final, slapped with a grade one dangerous throw charge by the NRL match review committee. I will say 28-22 Grand Final win by the Bunnies

Bunnies-Roosters Prelim Final Highlights

http://youtu.be/nouW8JaYmf4

Panthers-Bulldogs Prelim Final Highlights

http://youtu.be/euoF_fexfho

And after 43 long years, Souths won their 21st Premiership over the Bulldogs 30-6 this morning.Sam Burgess who now goes to Rugby Union side Bath becomes the first non-Australian to win the Clive Churchill medal.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

And after 43 long years, Souths won their 21st Premiership over the Bulldogs 30-6 this morning.Sam Burgess who now goes to Rugby Union side Bath becomes the first non-Australian to win the Clive Churchill medal.

I watched the match on my PVR this morning after the Chelsea-Arsenal clash and I have to say excellent job by the Bunnies. There really wasn't any doubt from opening whistle! Great to have a Premiers title in the trophy case again.

http://youtu.be/y5TiGjdbFNA

I've been following the Rabbitohs relatively closely (I follow their Instagram and Twitter accounts, so I usually just look for updates after game dates) since about halfway through the season, and I have to say, what a performance that was!! The game was really much closer than the score would indicate. I knew of South's long drought - Gooner (or anyone), could you help compare that drought ending to an American team's drought?? I'm trying to compare for reference so I can truly grasp how big this was.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I've been following the Rabbitohs relatively closely (I follow their Instagram and Twitter accounts, so I usually just look for updates after game dates) since about halfway through the season, and I have to say, what a performance that was!! The game was really much closer than the score would indicate. I knew of South's long drought - Gooner (or anyone), could you help compare that drought ending to an American team's drought?? I'm trying to compare for reference so I can truly grasp how big this was.

Luke, the match was close at half time with the Bunnies being up 6-0 but the second half truly belonged to South. This was the Bunnies 21st NRL Premiers title but the first in 43 years. So for a comparison, the Toronto Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup in 1966/67. The Leafs are now in a drought for 47 years. Another comparison is the Chicago Cubs. It has been 106 years since they last won the World Series in 1908. So really this is a massive result for the Rabbitohs. Great to see the huge massive support out last night in the stands, including Russell Crowe (a life long Bunnies supporter).

Archived