Photoshop Advice Megathread

Darth Brooks

1 hour ago, BroncoBuff said:

Of course, please don't take me too seriously.

Darth Brooks posted did post some very interesting, in-depth topics on the first couple pages ... but now it's been FOUR years since I first posted in here. I'm not ENTITLED to any one-on-one lessons, I know that. But there are some very talented people here ... hell, I'd be happy with a quick drive-by and a sentence or two from them.

It's not just this site, I posted some of these same images on another site's "Photoshop help" thread ... in 6 months all I got was ONE post, with just ONE word: "Rasterize." I looked up its meaning, it had something to do with bitmap images. But I'm still not sure what it meant. 

There's also a Discord channel that is nothing but lessons for understanding Photoshop. If you go there they even have a challenge of the day.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Is there a way to create a photoshop graphic file (such as standings or playoff bracket) where I could put multiple teams in one location but only show one team at a time. Kind of like a drop down menu thing? 

I'm trying to look for ways to save time "admin-ing" my sports fantasy stuff.  

If I'm understanding this correctly, you could easily just put the logos on different layers and hide the ones you don't want. Use folders to get it tidy. Not a drop down menu, but I'm not aware of photoshop having that kind of capability.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, C-Squared said:

The best thing you can do with Photoshop is ditch it for Illustrator. For the type of stuff people make on these boards, Illustrator is by far the better program.

There are things you can do better in Illustrator (or Flexisign, which is what I use) and things you can do better in Photoshop.  Learning them both, if you can, is a plus.

I use Photoshop to do this;

q0uHICv.jpg

and

YItG6fW.jpg

You would not be able to easily get the same effects in Illustrator.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any good tips and tricks on doing custom jerseys on real images of players? Any and all Youtube tutorials are about jersey swapping existing jerseys which is not what I'm trying to accomplish. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 6/19/2021 at 10:48 PM, Darth Brooks said:

There are things you can do better in Illustrator (or Flexisign, which is what I use) and things you can do better in Photoshop.  Learning them both, if you can, is a plus.

I use Photoshop to do this;

q0uHICv.jpg

and

YItG6fW.jpg

You would not be able to easily get the same effects in Illustrator.

I definitely prefer the more realistic mockups, like this. They look cooler and honestly it's just easier to work with too. Drawing out uniforms in illustrator requires so many different layers and clipping masks for striping, shading, etc.

I'd rather use illustrator exclusively to create logos, numbers and striping. Then drop them into a photoshop template and warp as needed. 

A combination of both is ideal for sure. 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, colinturner95 said:

Does anyone have any good tips and tricks on doing custom jerseys on real images of players? Any and all Youtube tutorials are about jersey swapping existing jerseys which is not what I'm trying to accomplish. 

Sometimes it can be a little tricky depending on what you use. The big problem I had with this was there's a lot of background noise on the jersey.  Find multiple templates that can handle the angles on your model can help tremendously. Also, a better understanding of puppet wrap would have helped the sleeves and left side of the shirt bit more. 

pqWbWxR.jpg

SECai7p.png

NYK4gkG.jpg

For this one, I used the color tool to make the original shirt grey before using the magnetic tool to make a white shirt and then adding a cropped version of the collar and sleeve cuffs that I used for my team this year. 

E4wmdRC.jpg

6OwRbVU.jpg

As always, the bigger the picture you have to start with, the easier it is to make the necessary changes. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, Darth Brooks said:

/\/\/\  You might want to adjust the amount of shadow on the girl's right shoulder. With the gray shirt you can see it's her shoulder but when I first saw the white shirt I thought that was one hellava bicep.

I think that's from the template itself, but I see what you're saying. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Newb here, where do you guys find templates for concept art and/or jersey swaps? Is there a template store? or available for free?  Or is it all made by hand? I'd like to try my hand at making a few but don't where to start. Wanted to start with a NBA jersey style template. I know my way around photoshop so plan to use that software.

2 hours ago, drummerJ99 said:

Newb here, where do you guys find templates for concept art and/or jersey swaps? Is there a template store? or available for free?  Or is it all made by hand? I'd like to try my hand at making a few but don't where to start. Wanted to start with a NBA jersey style template. I know my way around photoshop so plan to use that software.

If you search YouTube, sometimes the person doing tutorials will have free templates attached to whatever they are working on. Mockups Bolivia has a few. I've used them for the women's soccer player action shots that I've used in the past. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If you search YouTube, sometimes the person doing tutorials will have free templates attached to whatever they are working on. Mockups Bolivia has a few. I've used them for the women's soccer player action shots that I've used in the past. 

Thanks, I'll check them out.