Reliant Stadium to become NRG Stadium

cajunaggie08

Who are these utilities/power wholesalers advertising to? It's not like there's consumer choice in the electricity or other utility markets. As if you'd overhear: "You know Jim I really prefer NRG's nat gas electricity, to Edison's nat gas electric"

Unfortunately the only time the average person will even recognize what these companies do is either rate increases or some sort of industrial disaster.

In Texas we are allowed to choose electricity providers. We have a lot more than NRG/Reliant to choose from in Houston.

Out of sheer curiosity how does one choose? In theory I suppose you can pick who you want to purchase from but don't all the private utilities share the same grid and wire going into your house? so if your neighbor picks a competitor how is the grid able to determine who gets what electricity source?

The providers act as middlemen between the consumers and the companies that generate the energy. They negotiate rates and sell you that rate and bill you for your monthly usage. All of the electricity produced in Texas is on one grid separate from most of the United States so yes everyone is getting the same pooled electricity. Some of the providers provide options for "100% wind energy." The exact power that comes to your home is probably from a coal plant, but in theory all of the money the provider collects from your bill goes to paying the wind power companies for adding to the grid. Reliant/NRG is a "provider" that happens to also be in the energy generating business so they get to double dip in profit collecting.

We have a similar set up. I had a guy representing some energy company knock on my door and try to lock me in to a year of guaranteed something per kilawatt hour rate. I stabbed him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who are these utilities/power wholesalers advertising to? It's not like there's consumer choice in the electricity or other utility markets. As if you'd overhear: "You know Jim I really prefer NRG's nat gas electricity, to Edison's nat gas electric"

Unfortunately the only time the average person will even recognize what these companies do is either rate increases or some sort of industrial disaster.

In Texas we are allowed to choose electricity providers. We have a lot more than NRG/Reliant to choose from in Houston.

Out of sheer curiosity how does one choose? In theory I suppose you can pick who you want to purchase from but don't all the private utilities share the same grid and wire going into your house? so if your neighbor picks a competitor how is the grid able to determine who gets what electricity source?

The providers act as middlemen between the consumers and the companies that generate the energy. They negotiate rates and sell you that rate and bill you for your monthly usage. All of the electricity produced in Texas is on one grid separate from most of the United States so yes everyone is getting the same pooled electricity. Some of the providers provide options for "100% wind energy." The exact power that comes to your home is probably from a coal plant, but in theory all of the money the provider collects from your bill goes to paying the wind power companies for adding to the grid. Reliant/NRG is a "provider" that happens to also be in the energy generating business so they get to double dip in profit collecting.

We have a similar set up. I had a guy representing some energy company knock on my door and try to lock me in to a year of guaranteed something per kilawatt hour rate. I stabbed him.

A co-worker of mine suckered me into listening to a sales pitch to become that guy that knocks on your door. Except that it was more pyramid schem-y, because you were supposed to focus more on recruiting other recruiters than recruiting actual customers. Makes sense, right? I met the guy at Tim Hortons and he opened up a 100+ slide powerpoint presentation... I wanted to die. He even had me talk to his boss on the phone to try to pressure me into committing. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that was terrible.

A co-worker of mine suckered me into listening to a sales pitch to become that guy that knocks on your door. Except that it was more pyramid schem-y, because you were supposed to focus more on recruiting other recruiters than recruiting actual customers. Makes sense, right? I met the guy at Tim Hortons and he opened up a 100+ slide powerpoint presentation... I wanted to die. He even had me talk to his boss on the phone to try to pressure me into committing. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that was terrible.

Should've stabbed him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Should've stabbed him.

It's Tim Hortons, man! Too many witnesses!

Archived