World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

I like the normal Montana plate concept. You're right the sky blue and claret go together. Nice use of the steers head for the hyphen. Not a fan of the alternate plate. Just can't wrap my finger around why I'm not liking it.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These were always my favorite Nebraska plates. Not much different color-wise from your concept, although they uses more orange tones than red. That windmill was super iconic as well, maybe consider a combination of the schooner and windmill?

Nebraskaplate-250x125.jpg

ne9.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

These were always my favorite Nebraska plates. Not much different color-wise from your concept, although they uses more orange tones than red. That windmill was super iconic as well, maybe consider a combination of the schooner and windmill?

Nebraskaplate-250x125.jpg

ne9.jpg

I was really debating to fuse those 2 together to make a Alternate Plate, I may just scrap the gradient in favour of blending these 2 on the Nebraska shaped cutout

Great updates so far! The weakest two for me are Rushmore and the cutout Nebraska plate. The idea of the cutout plate doesn't move me but that is probably due to it never being done before more than anything. I like my plates rectangular. :D

I think a lot of the Rushmore image is lost behind the lettering which just makes it seem overly busy as a design to me.

Love Montana's basic plate!

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Design-wise, I think they look good. They're definitely very modern in terms of the flat design, which I do like on something like license plates, where legibility should be the first goal. The gradients and large images of the 1990s-2000s produced some ugly license plates. "clean and timeless" is the way to go, for sure. These harken back to older, 1970s-1980s plates, and I like that. However, some of these have issues with practicality - where would the yearly registration sticker go on, say, the Nebraska (assuming the state is cutout) and Montana plates? Also, what's the purpose of the Alternate plates? I know, for example, South Carolina has two basic free plate designs, but that's due to the "In God We Trust" slogan. I'd also like to see some different fonts for the plate number itself, as that can vary slightly between states.

I'm sure you've looked at it, but for anyone else, 15q.net is a great resource for license plate designs and information and can suck up a lot of your time if you're interested.

Oklahoma - bold colors, legible, I dig it. The "camel case" in Native AmericA is bothering me a bit, I'd make all the letters the same height. I realize that's how it is on current Oklahoma plates, but it still throws me off.

Texas - love the primary plate. Perfect. Not as big of a fan of the alternate, white-on-black strikes me as odd and having some legibility concerns.

Kansas - big fan of the colors. Also like the 34 stars. Kansas isn't completely flat... but it definitely doesn't have any mountains. There are hills in the state seal... but definitely no mountains. The Kansas outline as the hyphen is a cool feature, but it's nearly indistinguishable and wouldn't be apparent unless you were 2 feet away from it.

Nebraska - really like the cutout idea. The wagon as the divider is great. The gradient... eh, it's okay as far as gradients go, and Nebraska has definitely used them, but I'd try something else. The blue letters on blue gradient might cause some legibility concerns as well.

South Dakota - Mount Rushmore = South Dakota. I've never seen anything South Dakota-branded that didn't have Rushmore on it. The state motto should be "We have Mount Rushmore." Considering the circumstances, I like it. Not a big fan of the script, but you didn't create it and it's used a lot in SD. An improvement over their current plate, but I'd really (not necessarily from you, but someone, sometime, ever) like to see a South Dakota branding that doesn't use Rushmore.

North Dakota - very clean, like the colors, but it says "Wyoming" to me. Wyo kinda has a monopoly on brown and gold as far as states go, at least to me. Another improvement over their current plate.

Montana - also my favorite. I like the bold lines and colors. I don't think "the" is necessary though, just "Big Sky Country." Great homage to the 1990-2000 plates, though. The alternate is also a solid update to their retro design.

Good series so far, can't wait to see more!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Ouu big comment, lets see if I get to every point.

Alright, so the Registration Sticker will only be in one spot meaning their is only one. It can go anywhere but the main Number/Letters or divider.

Oklahoma, I really don't want to change it, I kinda like the Native AmericA part, but I can understand where you are coming from

Texas, the White on Black is their current one so I just reused it.

Kansas, It's not supposed to be a mountain, its just hills. The Wheat is taller than it, I was trying to do that to make it look small but I guess that didnt work lol. Ant the Kansas divider is meant to be for a hidden item. I will have a few plated with hidden items/designs intended for the owner instead of legibility to make them have more character.

Nebraska will be changed. Top left is where the sticker goes.

SD. I may make an alt for them. I really wasnt feeling having Rushmore as the sole identity, but it seemed like it is too common to break tradition. I'll see if any ideas come to mind.

ND. Don't worry, Wyoming looks different. I wanted to use the grey and white colours to make it unique enough, I may make the letters black just to make it completely different.

Montana, that was my biggest issue, whether or not to say "the". I will fix that.

as for the actual font itself, I wanted to keep it the same since it is made by the same designer. All the other ones are different because its a different style or whatnot. I wanted to offer a little consistency using the same size and same font on each - hoping it makes it more legible as well. If you have links to other Plate fonts, I'd gladly download them though, all I have is European and Normal North American.

I appreciate all the feedback, the next batch will be up a little later today, maybe tomorrow.

I believe I missed one of your questions 49erfan, The point of the Alternate Plates is to please as many as possible - an example would be Montana and Wyoming, as both plates pay tribute to ones from the past. Many states have countless plate options that it is almost unbearable and unrecognizable, Having only 2 plates cleans it up a bit.

13317745535_a336a51a9a_n.jpg13317746045_5340ca2902_n.jpg13317746295_a9961d3b0d_n.jpg

Again, I'm not a big fan of scenery/image plates. Wyoming Has had a scenery plate since the 90's so I still wanted to use one because again, I'm trying not to break tradition. I knew I had to keep the Bucking Horse and Rider that they have been using since the 1930's, so that returns on both versions. It's hard to read "Equality State" so I may go back and remove it or something.

My favourite plate of Wyoming is the 83-88 version. I paid tribute to it with this Alternate Plate. I went with a cleaner looking Banana Yellow and a lighter shade of Brown. Because the Bucking Horse and Rider is permanently placed to the left, the max number of characters is 6. I went with the unofficial name for the state since it fits well with it. Equality doesnt really make much sense here.

13318112524_9932c52d85_n.jpg13317905913_c5c61ae452_n.jpg13317906003_10d98ef6f4_n.jpg

I really, really like that Wyoming alt plate. Looks beautiful! Although changing the wordmarks to a better, more modern sans-serif font.

As for the regular plate, I'd move the horizon line lower down the plate so that the serial number only goes over the mountain and the sky. And the sans-serif font could also apply to this plate

Im gonna post Colorado as well since nothing is changed.

13318830424_d1f6fd7e7c_n.jpg13318619753_e48a15b84f_n.jpg13318831104_77227ac968_n.jpg

Definitely my favourite US license plate. Such a timeless design that has been carried on forever. I did experiment with the Colorado C but because it is a single colour plate, it just isnt possible to emphasize the fact that it is the C its intended to be. Maybe we can make believe that there is a hidden C that reflects in the centre :P.

I really, really like that Wyoming alt plate. Looks beautiful! Although changing the wordmarks to a better, more modern sans-serif font.

As for the regular plate, I'd move the horizon line lower down the plate so that the serial number only goes over the mountain and the sky. And the sans-serif font could also apply to this plate

Plates where the letters meet with the horizon are difficult to approach. Kansas is far above the horizon. North Dakota is just above the Horizon. Wyoming is ON the horizon. Those are the only 3 plates with horizons thus far and I didnt want to have repetitive designs regardless of how subtle they are. I like that the letters look like they are on the ground, but thats just a preference.

The font on the other hand may need a touch up. I didnt want to make it too old looking so I used the modern-ish Serif font, the same as the regular plate to keep consistency between the 2.

I am really really liking the Wyoming alt plates. Love the simple colors and the font works for me. I find the Colorado plates to be a little too simple.

Too simple? really? I was almost going to remove the grey mountain details because I thought it took away from the original design. eh, we are all entitled to our opinions anyway, I know there are a few of my designs I don't like myself.

Speaking of designs I don't like, I fixed Nebraska. I now have 2 plates for them.

I have to admit, the gradient one was somewhat rushed. I spent so much time making a gradient that worked and paying too much attention to the Wagon that I just wanted to get it over with.

13320929123_c842cf2b26_n.jpg13320929263_59f40e951f_n.jpg13320770905_e0470c0024_n.jpg

Alright so hopefully this is the last time I even think of Nebraska for a long time. The white one is the main plate. It is influenced by the late 1980's Rising Sun looking one, I threw in a Conestoga Wagon in there for good measure. Hopefully this one satisfies everyone including myself haha.

BTW, the bottom left corner will be solid and is where the Registration Sticker will go, there is also a hole to screw in the bottom left corner.

This one was actually the one I did before the Rising Sun thing. This one pays tribute to the late 1950's colours, but really has no other significance. Someone mentioned I should make it the colour of the Great Plains so here you go :P

13320965373_4d12a0aab1_n.jpg13320965453_6dd7d5acdc_n.jpg13320808165_487518ed5f_n.jpg

This is one of the cooler things I've seen on the boards in awhile. Keep up the good work!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Very cool. I really like coming back to see these.

Wyoming - Nice scenic plate, but like you said, the "Equality State" does get lost. I'd suggest making the Equality text white with a dark drop shadow, like on previous Wyoming scenic plates. I think I prefer the mustard yellow for Wyoming, but the banana yellow still looks good on the alt.

Colorado - honestly, not much to improve on. Easily one of the best US plates.

Nebraska II - I think you nailed it here. Maybe an outline so the cutout doesn't get lost on white cars, but this is a significant improvement. Alt is basic but definitely works.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Nebraska II - I think you nailed it here. Maybe an outline so the cutout doesn't get lost on white cars, but this is a significant improvement. Alt is basic but definitely works.

I had an orange outline but scrapped it because it looked too cramped and the letters barely fit. Hopefully those who have white cars get the yellow plate instead haha

here are the 3 outline options. Red looks best, but I prefer no outline. the yellow one could get lost on yellow cars is the best argument I can come up with! :P

13322745393_0fb34d5901_n.jpg13322571565_043b4d3380_n.jpg13322571615_57d2b2c734_n.jpg

glad you guys like the fixed Nebraska plates though!

Archived