World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

13833579664_37425d1f01_n.jpg13833579104_ea99485667_n.jpg13833579294_dcb92930ac_n.jpg

Love the color combination.

Interesting choice of buildings to represent Milwaukee. Personally, I'd have gone with the Quadracci Pavilion (Art Museum), the Allen-Bradley Clock Tower, or the First Wisconsin Center (aka US Bank Center). 100 E Wisconsin and the Milwaukee Center are nice looking buildings, but they can't really be seen from the lake, which bugs me because the sailboat from the other side seems to imply that the blue streaks are some type of water.... or maybe that's just me. :D

Either way, I'd consider this a definite upgrade over our current tags. Well done!

I definately wanted to use the Art Museum so badly, but it was just too hard to draw in the form that the farm/sailboat thing was. The US Bank Centre was just too rectangular so I didnt bother, I also didn't figure it was as iconic/unique as the others I chose. As for the Clock Tower, you had it in yours but I didnt know what it was haha, I would have use it otherwise.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the weird colours and don't hate the entire plate :P

Well, here is Missouri. Nothing fancy, I just had to get rid of that awful plate they currently have. I took heavy inspiration from the Dark Red plates of 1981-1998, but used the current wordmark and fixed the grammatical error in the state nickname. As a slight nod to the current plate, I kept the state shape as a divider rather than just a back drop. I really like this one even though it is very simple.13788578423_c6a2e3c49c_n.jpg13788560165_d09488d0b5_n.jpg13788578523_e3261523f0_n.jpg

It won't work having the state shape where you do.

Our renewal stickers go center of the plate.

Go back to the beginning of this thread please. I have mentioned countless times that the registration sticker goes wherever you want it to go. The rules of the current plates get omitted in favour for these traditional looks. Here is the SINGLE sticker that will be used. Click Here

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to end the drama for Nevada, I have taken the Mountains - not necessarily the Sierra-Nevada's - and put them on the Purple/Blue plate. So now we have the UFO, Nightlife, Sunset inspired backdrop with mountains that can represent any part of the state. I hope this is it!

13854710604_44cd9144f2_n.jpg13854364603_c9444a8421_n.jpg13854710724_0195b838c1_n.jpg

13833579664_37425d1f01_n.jpg13833579104_ea99485667_n.jpg13833579294_dcb92930ac_n.jpg

Love the color combination.

Interesting choice of buildings to represent Milwaukee. Personally, I'd have gone with the Quadracci Pavilion (Art Museum), the Allen-Bradley Clock Tower, or the First Wisconsin Center (aka US Bank Center). 100 E Wisconsin and the Milwaukee Center are nice looking buildings, but they can't really be seen from the lake, which bugs me because the sailboat from the other side seems to imply that the blue streaks are some type of water.... or maybe that's just me. :D

Either way, I'd consider this a definite upgrade over our current tags. Well done!

I definately wanted to use the Art Museum so badly, but it was just too hard to draw in the form that the farm/sailboat thing was. The US Bank Centre was just too rectangular so I didnt bother, I also didn't figure it was as iconic/unique as the others I chose. As for the Clock Tower, you had it in yours but I didnt know what it was haha, I would have use it otherwise.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the weird colours and don't hate the entire plate :P

The clock tower was actually the largest four-sided clock in the world up until a couple years ago when a bigger one was erected in Saudi Arabia. It's known as the "Polish Moon" because at night, it would light up the largely Polish community that lived near the tower. With the absence of the Art Museum and the First Wisconsin Center (and I definitely understand why you didn't include them), I would absolutely encourage you to work the clock tower into the design... perhaps replacing the Milwaukee Center. The buildings you chose aren't well known to anyone but locals, and could cause people to mistake the entire thing for Madison's skyline.

todobeforedeath_story4.jpg?20070919132633447TWC-5.jpg

I will definately add in the clock, I'm just gonna wait a bit cause Wisconsin gave me headaches and I'm on a roll with other states at the moment.

No problem. :)

I also wouldn't mind seeing a version where you keep the top, but change the bottom to brown dies on a white background.

It's still nice, but doesn't grab the attention as much as the Brown/Purple one.

13861193435_bafa936e50_c.jpg

Maybe not, but my personal preferences aside, that looks much more like something that would actually be used here.

A couple more thoughts now that I can see more of the fine details:

-AWESOME rendering of the Milwaukee Center. Now I sort of hope you ditch the 100 E Wisconsin tower just so it doesn't get lost lol

-Everything else though? So, soooo eighties. That's not your fault though.

-The outline on Wisconsin seems a little superfluous and doesn't really add anything. I'd get rid of it.

-Brown is one of my favorite colors, but I wonder how the white background version would look with the brown replaced with red? I know you may have to change the colors of the barn and sun, but the previous version of this tag used red, and I felt like everything that has been changed since then is a downgrade.

-I'm starting to think I was just so geeked to see brown and light blue (one of my favorite color combos) representing my home state that I hadn't really considered how cheesy and dated the overall design is... again, not your fault. I want to see more of the states, but maybe after you're done, would you consider a complete overhaul of Wisconsin? I'd be more than happy to help you on that.

Maybe not, but my personal preferences aside, that looks much more like something that would actually be used here.

A couple more thoughts now that I can see more of the fine details:

-AWESOME rendering of the Milwaukee Center. Now I sort of hope you ditch the 100 E Wisconsin tower just so it doesn't get lost lol

-Everything else though? So, soooo eighties. That's not your fault though.

-The outline on Wisconsin seems a little superfluous and doesn't really add anything. I'd get rid of it.

-Brown is one of my favorite colors, but I wonder how the white background version would look with the brown replaced with red? I know you may have to change the colors of the barn and sun, but the previous version of this tag used red, and I felt like everything that has been changed since then is a downgrade.

-I'm starting to think I was just so geeked to see brown and light blue (one of my favorite color combos) representing my home state that I hadn't really considered how cheesy and dated the overall design is... again, not your fault. I want to see more of the states, but maybe after you're done, would you consider a complete overhaul of Wisconsin? I'd be more than happy to help you on that.

The outline on Wisconsin was a last minute add on because I thought someone was gonna ask for it, I didn't like it though.

I kinda like the 80's feel to it. I like the colours too, I'm sure it would look strange changing the colours of this design since the Welcome signs look like it; but I could try. I can lighten the colour of 100 E Wisconsin to make it stand out more.

I'm not sure if I will completely redo Wisconsin since I spent so much time on it to make sure the 2 Wisconsinites were happy lol.

Illinois time? It seemed unanimous that the Double Blue look was the favourite, so I basically did that. It may look like I spent very little time on it, but I actually made the font because I couldn't find one that was just right and all the old ones weren't large enough. So I probably spent more time than necessary on it, an Hour at most haha. Anyway, here it is. I was debating whether or not to put the website on the bottom, but the site is illinois.gov so I didn't want to be repetitive.

13883815994_e91e1b6460_n.jpg13883815634_147ed42dda_n.jpg13883410055_a596a7d634_n.jpg

Patiently waiting for New Jersey, who currently have one of the worst designs in the USA.

Patiently waiting for New Jersey, who currently have one of the worst designs in the USA.

LOL WUT?

LOL WUT?

Our License Plates Suck

I totally disagree. I think they're very classy - I wish I had an option for simple two-color plate like NJ's, as opposed to a tri-colored plate that clashes with everything and has a damn website on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm gonna have to agree with you BBTV. There is nothing too fancy or in your face about any of the NJ plates and they do stand out when driving in NYC. The only thing I would prefer is if the gradient was Yellow, White, Yellow to show some consistency within it, but it's just a minor thing. I'm going to test is with just a plain lemon yellow background, see how that looks.

No love for Illinois?? Oh well.

Here is Iowa, yet another city/farmscape plate - which was done before Wisconsin.
after searching for some good old Iowa plates, I found none. They were all pretty tasteless and just weird; until I stumbled across the College plates. They are pretty basic, but they have a stripe the goes across the top that is equal to the height of the "I" and "a" in Iowa.
As soon as I saw it, I thought it would be great to have a city on the left/tall side and farms and such on the right/short side.
And that's what I did. Very minimalist, but I wanted to get rid of the cluttered plates that Iowa had. The buildings are all silhouettes of actual buildings - most being in Des Moines. And I added Hawkeye State to the bottom; even though it could relate to the University stuff, I think it's somewhat of a statewide idea as well as it being the official nickname.

13899116974_de5fd12b69_n.jpg13898705595_d86d90674b_n.jpg13898705615_07648dc754_n.jpg

Poor Iowa.

Mississippi anyone?

So I wanted to use the Biloxi Light even though its a region restricted icon. See the current ones feature the Lighthouse in the centre of the plate and seem to be a hit with Mississippians. Since I too enjoy the Gulf Coast and symbolism, I thought it was a good fit. The Lighthouse was one of the few structures to withstand Hurricane Katrina and it has since signified Resiliency in the state.
So I was looking around for sunset images of the Biloxi Light and I came across this one, when I was done, I had a Canadian Moment and realized it wasnt the Biloxi Lighthouse. I did some editing to the Lighthouse to match that of Biloxi and I think I did pretty good. By the Way, that's an American Flag hanging off the balcony, they sometimes fly it in a few pictures.
Going back to what I said about Resiliency; I couldn't chose what slogan/nickname to use, so I made my own. Resiliency, Hospitality, Creativity. Miss is known as the Hospitality State, but is also known for its Arts/Music which is showcased on their new plates - the BB King one. Also, the font may be weird, but it is very similar to the font on the Welcome signs, and you know me, I like consistency.

I must say, I really love this plate. I spent a lot of time on it - I had to redraw the Mississippi wordmark - so I'm quite pleased with everything about it... I just hope those in Miss like it too!

13883103972_6c2d2f9f6d_n.jpg13883103212_97c065bfea_n.jpg13906277723_ec66be9815_n.jpg

That Mississippi plate is BEAUTIFUL!!! Might be because of my love of orange and black (Go Giants!) That's all I have to say.

Iowa's isn't that bad; unique color scheme! I myself have liked those college plates for Iowa, though I wouldn't mind the current Iowa plates with the font used on the "Iowa Natural Resources" plate.

That Illinois plate is perfect for such a diverse state like Illinois. And I like the font on it too!

I like the brown-on-white Wiconsin better than the white-on-brown, probably because of legibility reasons.

The tweaked Nevada plate is pretty good, though I'm still bothered about the placement of everything, which I stated when you first released the Nevada plate.

Poor Iowa.

Mississippi anyone?

So I wanted to use the Biloxi Light even though its a region restricted icon. See the current ones feature the Lighthouse in the centre of the plate and seem to be a hit with Mississippians. Since I too enjoy the Gulf Coast and symbolism, I thought it was a good fit. The Lighthouse was one of the few structures to withstand Hurricane Katrina and it has since signified Resiliency in the state.

So I was looking around for sunset images of the Biloxi Light and I came across this one, when I was done, I had a Canadian Moment and realized it wasnt the Biloxi Lighthouse. I did some editing to the Lighthouse to match that of Biloxi and I think I did pretty good. By the Way, that's an American Flag hanging off the balcony, they sometimes fly it in a few pictures.

Going back to what I said about Resiliency; I couldn't chose what slogan/nickname to use, so I made my own. Resiliency, Hospitality, Creativity. Miss is known as the Hospitality State, but is also known for its Arts/Music which is showcased on their new plates - the BB King one. Also, the font may be weird, but it is very similar to the font on the Welcome signs, and you know me, I like consistency.

I must say, I really love this plate. I spent a lot of time on it - I had to redraw the Mississippi wordmark - so I'm quite pleased with everything about it... I just hope those in Miss like it too!

13883103972_6c2d2f9f6d_n.jpg13883103212_97c065bfea_n.jpg13906277723_ec66be9815_n.jpg

I love what you've done here!!

The lighthouse one is not current, however. This one replaced it last year-

101536d1348586759-new-license-plate-desi

Could you do an alternate based on this one? It's always been my favorite one-

MS1a.jpg

That Mississippi plate is BEAUTIFUL!!! Might be because of my love of orange and black (Go Giants!) That's all I have to say.

Iowa's isn't that bad; unique color scheme! I myself have liked those college plates for Iowa, though I wouldn't mind the current Iowa plates with the font used on the "Iowa Natural Resources" plate.

That Illinois plate is perfect for such a diverse state like Illinois. And I like the font on it too!

I like the brown-on-white Wiconsin better than the white-on-brown, probably because of legibility reasons.

The tweaked Nevada plate is pretty good, though I'm still bothered about the placement of everything, which I stated when you first released the Nevada plate.

I like that Iowa font too but it didn't seem to fit the design that well.

The Brown on White Wisconsin may be the normal one or something later on. I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas.

I'm hating Nevada lol... I don't really care for it anymore.

The lighthouse one is not current, however. This one replaced it last year-

101536d1348586759-new-license-plate-desi

Could you do an alternate based on this one? It's always been my favorite one-

MS1a.jpg

Sorry, I mentioned the BB King one but I refereed to it as the new one and the Biloxi as the current, which I guess it isnt. My bad.

I was looking at that flower one but with so many white plates in the area, I wasnt sure if I should. I'll see if anything pops up. I spent a lot of time on the Mississippi font so I wouldn't mind using it as much as possible.

Do you have any idead I could ad to it to give it more colour? and is that Dark Green characters or black?

Let me see how Tennessee turns out - it being a predominantly green plate - and if I can make them look different enough, I'll think about it even though I was trying to rid of alternate plates.

Missouri looks way too plain, IMO. Looks more like a service plate, or one you'd find on a trailer or wagon. Not a vehicle plate.

Obviously the Gateway Arch in St. Louis is pretty iconic, along the lines of Mt. Rushmore (SD) or the Statue of Liberty (NY/NJ). That being said, I can understand your desire to not get too complicated with design.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Indiana time!

I'm a little nervous with this one since there is a lot going on. Indiana is my favourite state so I wanted to make it as cool as I could without going overboard.

There are basically 4 era's that I am touching on here.
The solid rectangles in the top left and bottom right corners are from the 60's and 80's. I wasn't sure the meaning behind it, it could be random, or it could be something to do with checkered flags? I don't know what it was but its unique and kinda interesting. I filled those little rectangles in with checkers because of the racing heritage within the state - ok well more specifically Speedway, Indiana, but you get the point.
This also takes influence from the 1979 plate that had the checkers above to the left of the State Name, but I didnt put an Indy Car in the background.
The Crossroads slogan returns from the 1999-2003 plates as well as the Gold and Navy colour scheme.
I took the current plates, removed the barcode and the always crooked county names and made it represent the flag.
In the background are more sublimated checkers - as if the gold checkers weren't enough.

Overall the plate looks clean from a distance but up close it really shows some unique qualities. I hope the Hoosiers are ok with it.

13914061245_6ca156715f_n.jpg13914480904_ccac82b318_n.jpg13914061205_753a9e0b9f_n.jpg

The Wisconsin plate with the white background is awesome. So is the retro Illinois plate. Great work! The Mississippi one is a little too fancy for such a dumpy state. They should come pre-rusted.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived