World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

I don't understand putting an advertisement for a the tourism dept. on a license plate that will be primarily seen within the state. PA's current plate has the same issue. A fancy plate by nature is a subtle advertisement for the state - ski slopes, sunshine, etc. Might as well sell the ad space on there and have Publix have their logo on Florida's plates. That's obviously an overreaction, but IMO having a .com on a plate isn't all that dissimilar.

I took your embellishment into consideration because I was bored lmfao. I'm probably gonna get a beating from Floridians for this :P

Joking aside, I still think there is a sense of class the way I but the websites on. I try to make them subtle if its a vacation state and if I don't think the slogan/nickname fits, I put the website as well. But usually the slogan/nickname comes first.

Lets just hope they don't end up looking like this in the near future.

14023650491_593d225a1f_b.jpg

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to get worried though, I seem to have a lot of solid coloured plates. Does it look lazy? Because I am putting quite a bit of effort in each but most times I opt for the simple, legible look. Maybe I'm playing it too safe. Let me know your thoughts on this.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks good, it looks good. Plus, it's not like that's the only thing that you've done. You've got plenty of skylines and state-related patterns as well.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

What about a bluegrass-colored alt plate for Kentucky?

So a green plate? Pretty sure Bluegrass is a Region in the northeast part of Kentucky. Michigan and Indiana are Blue based and Tennessee is Dark Green based so having another Blue based plate in that area would cause problems.

In my mind, bluegrass was a unique, blue-green-grayish shade of green. Apparently though, reality does not line up with my fantasy and bluegrass is normal green; the name comes from the flowers that grow if you let the grass get to be about 2-3 feet tall... so yeah. But I thought it would look like kinda like the old "Seahawks Blue":

SeattleSeahawks_FRC_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

What about a bluegrass-colored alt plate for Kentucky?

So a green plate? Pretty sure Bluegrass is a Region in the northeast part of Kentucky. Michigan and Indiana are Blue based and Tennessee is Dark Green based so having another Blue based plate in that area would cause problems.

In my mind, bluegrass was a unique, blue-green-grayish shade of green. Apparently though, reality does not line up with my fantasy and bluegrass is normal green; the name comes from the flowers that grow if you let the grass get to be about 2-3 feet tall... so yeah. But I thought it would look like kinda like the old "Seahawks Blue":

SeattleSeahawks_FRC_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

Alright, I made a Kentucky with Seahawks blue and some small edits to make it all symmetric. I really don't mind this look but I avoided a blue base simply because of the other states around it.

14014655736_144018d6eb_b.jpg

Now I need some help on Hawaii. I have this Red based one with the current Rainbow Plates as the Alternate.

I really want to include the rainbow colours on this but I'm kinda stuck on which one is best.

14037787735_43babf0975_b.jpg

14034572712_c6df6b79d4_b.jpg

14037787485_58ffff19e7_b.jpg

I think Hawaii looks best with the rainbow colors on white to let them shine on their item without competing with the red. Though, should it be Hawai'i?

The original Kentucky plate is alright. However, I don't see your sublimated horse and fence at all on that one. The blue Kentucky is alright, though I prefer the white one over that.

Tennessee is simply pretty. Love the map design, the lowercase state name, and just the overall simplicity of the plate. Could I suggest a Tennessee plate with more flag motifs, though?

I totally have no problem with all your solid-color plates. Just as long as each design looks amazing (which they are), you have no problem with me concerning all those solid-color plates.

Is there an explanation as to why you're using red for Hawaii? I like the third rainbow design the best, and may I suggest just making it an all-white plate with the rainbow and wordmarks? That would look simple yet still shows Hawaii, in my opinion. By the way, the Hawaii wordmark looks STUNNING! Well done!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

The original Kentucky plate is alright. However, I don't see your sublimated horse and fence at all on that one. The blue Kentucky is alright, though I prefer the white one over that.

Tennessee is simply pretty. Love the map design, the lowercase state name, and just the overall simplicity of the plate. Could I suggest a Tennessee plate with more flag motifs, though?

I totally have no problem with all your solid-color plates. Just as long as each design looks amazing (which they are), you have no problem with me concerning all those solid-color plates.

Is there an explanation as to why you're using red for Hawaii? I like the third rainbow design the best, and may I suggest just making it an all-white plate with the rainbow and wordmarks? That would look simple yet still shows Hawaii, in my opinion. By the way, the Hawaii wordmark looks STUNNING! Well done!

Usually when I make my sublimations, it is intended to be non reflective - meaning that at night, the letters, state name and the horses will be non reflective and everything else will reflect. its hard to explain, but I will make a design to mimic what night view would look like.

I was actually thinking of doing the whole thing as a flag with the stripes to the right, I think I will make an alternate of that design, I just didnt want to use red for the main one.

I`m glad the Hawaii wordmark looks good, I spent over an hour trying to make it. It was based off of this grunge Hawaiian font but I wanted to solidify it. The font had a lot of errors to it so I ended up pretty much remaking the entire thing. I chose red because Hawaiian Punch... Haha, somewhat joking, but I really like Hawaiian designs on Red. Most Hawaiian shirts are red based and when I made Honolulu FC for my MLS soccer expansion, I chose Red as the base. (yes that jersey has rainbow on it too) I basically wanted to keep that same idea.

as for the proper spelling of the state; every license plate issued since becoming a US State, has been spelled the American English way. But if you want, you can imagine that there is an option for the native spelling as an alternate :P

The Hawaii plate still needs some tweaks so it will probably be up later tonight.

Here's a little comparison of the sublimation at night.

New Mexico

During Daytime
13366730145_d95867e0c8_b.jpg

During Nighttime
14039539515_5b5d789857_b.jpg

Kentucky

During Daytime
14022608565_178e19a0b1_b.jpg

During Nighttime
14059537693_558d9e88b4_b.jpg

Wait, so they're supposed to change color? Pretty strange since normal plates remain the same color between day and night.

No, the colour of the dyes just don't show up when light reflects on it, it just looks like a dark colour. Depending on the amount of paint used on the wordmarks and other designs, they can almost be unnoticeable because the reflectors inside the base coat is strong enough to go through. I'm just trying to show you that what is in grey is thick paint so that at night, it is more noticeable than the other designs to help differentiate the plates at night. It's also kinda neat to see your plate almost change when under a reflection.

14060378783_420357e7c4_b.jpg

See the Ontario one only shows the characters at night.

The Bahamas one has embossed and thick painted wordmarks so they all show up.

The Colorado one has a thicker paint on the mountain part making it more visible than the Ontario Wordmark.

The Oklahoma one shows how poorly those new flat plate 3M designs reflect.

The Texas one has thicker paint than the Ontario as well so a lot more shows up.

Up close the colours show up to an extent, but from a distance, its usually hard to pick up on unless there is a design involved like the Texas or Colorado plate. That's what I'm trying to show off.

Sublimation is a cool idea, although, they also look nice in the daytime ;)

Also, I can never look at the 'CUNI' on the plates without seeing something else :upside:

haha I'm the same!! I actually cant believe the MTO allowed it :P

I saw a New Yorker with this plate a few years back and I thought it was the coolest thing ever since you have to pronounce all the letters as words - yet still many cant read it. I'm definitely using this forever though :)

Here is Hawaiiiii

I know a few have been waiting for this one. The main plate is Red with a native Hawaiian tribal design on the bottom in rainbow colours. What is really unique from the rest of the states' plates is that I'm including County names. Hell, not names, but the shape of the island as the divider. My reasoning for this is because the chance of finding another plate in Hawaii is very slim. To differentiate which of the 4 main regions the plate is from - almost like sub-states - I made the islands the divider.

Here's the Blank and Custom one first.

14016662486_ec1cf3b2fc_b.jpg

14016662386_f8ee51b0f1_b.jpg

Hawai'i County

14036601491_06f29b1056_b.jpg

Maui and Kalawao County (I'm not making a special plate for 90 people lol)

14036586442_050e79ccd1_b.jpg

Oahu (officially City and County of Honolulu, this includes the uninhabited Northwestern Islands)

14036586332_40731d6c88_b.jpg

Kaua'i County

14036586482_545d7f317d_b.jpg

And the Alternate plates that don't have the fancy divider.

I took the current Pastel Rainbow one and used the Hawaii wordmark I made.

Everything else is the same on these ones.

14037827212_28cee52187_b.jpg

14017899266_d194c44071_b.jpg

14061035673_03854b37be_b.jpg

Oh my god, I just realized what your personalized plate means! I thought for the longest that it meant "I see unique."

As for Hawaii, I like the use of the island shapes for the divider. Very unique! I don't really like the rainbow pic you used for the alt (a more solid rainbow might look nicer), but the all-black Hawaii wordmark looks awesome! May I request a red-on-white version of the main Hawaii plate, though?

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I don't understand putting an advertisement for a the tourism dept. on a license plate that will be primarily seen within the state. PA's current plate has the same issue. A fancy plate by nature is a subtle advertisement for the state - ski slopes, sunshine, etc. Might as well sell the ad space on there and have Publix have their logo on Florida's plates. That's obviously an overreaction, but IMO having a .com on a plate isn't all that dissimilar.

I took your embellishment into consideration because I was bored lmfao. I'm probably gonna get a beating from Floridians for this :P

Joking aside, I still think there is a sense of class the way I but the websites on. I try to make them subtle if its a vacation state and if I don't think the slogan/nickname fits, I put the website as well. But usually the slogan/nickname comes first.

Lets just hope they don't end up looking like this in the near future.

14023650491_593d225a1f_b.jpg

LOL, I could see that some day. Considering we're already selling the names of subway stops and plastering buses with ads, I wouldn't put something like this past states if they felt like they could fund things (or raises for themselves) from it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh my god, I just realized what your personalized plate means! I thought for the longest that it meant "I see unique."

As for Hawaii, I like the use of the island shapes for the divider. Very unique! I don't really like the rainbow pic you used for the alt (a more solid rainbow might look nicer), but the all-black Hawaii wordmark looks awesome! May I request a red-on-white version of the main Hawaii plate, though?

I wonder how many others still havent got it haha.

As for the Rainbow Plates, I was actually going to use a normal rainbow, until I actually looked at the plate and realized there was only 3 colours used. Pink, Yellow and Light Blue. Not to mention they used a pastel, smudged type of texture. I never understood this until I put Black letters on a solid coloured rainbow; it's too messy and not so legible. The Rainbow I used is the proper one they use currently, I just had to do some small edits to remove the old Hawaii wordmark. I know it looks pixelated and such, but It just felt weird with 3 solid colours. Plus I wouldn't have the skills to make a gradient rainbow thingy :P

Here's a white base with red dyes.

14042371644_8eb58075c7_b.jpg

I'm going to post Alabama as well. I couldn't find any good designs to base it off so I just did my own thing but I'm not too pleased with it. In fact, I probably like the current one better than my version. I later added the St. Andrews Cross found on the flag and then switched the dyes to blue.
The "Sweet Home" is taken from the current plates and the Heart of Dixie logo is survived by a simple heart as the divider.

14039718752_f9fa46230e_b.jpg
14039718682_1ce136281e_b.jpg
14039729211_15597b36dc_b.jpg

Ohio is next. I tried to fuse different plates together to make this. The only one I truly omitted was that Gold Faded one.

I played around with the sublimated Ohio flag in the background and ended up with this. I guess it's alright, it could probably do without the flag, I just wanted to put more detail in them since the recent ones were pretty simple.

14023238032_9157e92cd6_b.jpg
14026893944_9a98c605d2_b.jpg
14003327846_84d75c885d_b.jpg

Archived