World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

I really like the basic design of your Nevada plate. However, I would suggest a few changes. First of all, I would make the state shape the divider or at least put it in the upper right corner. I would move the sagebrush logo to the upper left corner. You could move either the website or "The Silver State" underneath the state name and leave "Battle Born" by itself on the bottom in white.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13364080994_0964cafaf6_n.jpg13363710225_52e9a4959f_n.jpg13364081384_2ca1a31a94_n.jpg

The sci-fi font/desert combination would work perfectly for New Mexico, with the history of Roswell; but I think I have to agree with everyone else that a more traditional (possibly something old west themed?) would be better for Arizona.

I completely scraped the ski plate because to me, it's a little contradicting to have a Desert motif and then a Snow motif to represent the state. When I think Utah, I think Salt Flats, Desert, Mountains that boarder Colorado. The whole Ski Utah! thing seemed like advertising to say "Hey, Colorado isnt the only one with ski resorts!"

Interesting that you think that since none of our mountain ranges border Colorado...or even close for that matter. Then again, that and similar issues are exactly what the State tourism association has been fighting against. In fact, the "Life Elevated" rebrand was motivated by a marketing survey in which 99 out 100 respondees identified Salt Lake's skyline as Denver....which was patently offensive to both cities.

Personally, I prefer the ski plates. Not because I like skiing or enjoy being a roving advertisement, but because it resembles the Utah that I (and most Utahans) are familiar with...cold, snowy, and mountainous. So while the Delicate Arch plate is easily more iconic, the ski plates are far more representative. Hence why I'm happy we have two choices here.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

For Nevada, I can get behind moving the Sagebrush logo to the top left as it is on the flag. I will have too many state shape dividers if I use it for that, hence why it was used to divide the bottom script to make it different from others. Battle Born is meant to be hidden as its an "easter egg" for Nevadan's.

For Arizona, I still can't find an approriate font, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

For Utah, since I have a response from a Utahan, I will make the ski one. I'll try to make it a lot different from the current ski one. Also, when I checked to see where all the Ski Resorts were, it was all east of SLC towards the Wyoming/Colorado boarder, thats what I meant when I said it. I realize they have mountains and snow - 2002 Olympics - I'm just pointing out that it seems like a mixed identity problem from a non Utahan's point of view. Thanks for clarification.

Great work on the Utah and Arizona plates. I'm a fan of the alternate AZ plate and loving the sublimated picture in the background. Looking forward to the rest of the series. I would love to get a personalized plate but can't decide which one When are releasing Alaska's and Hawai'i?

Alaska, Hawaii and PR will be made after I finish the east. I already have an idea for Hawaii and Alaska, they will be somewhat similar to the current ones... Maybe I'll make it soon

For Alaska, I would suggest a look close to the state flag with a starry night or even northern lights across a snowladen field...It would look good. As well, the Hawai'I plate should have a Polynesian look to it...

I would post the new Utah Alternate plates if Flickr didnt decide to screw around with their interface. Anyone else having issues posting the images?

EDIT: It's really difficult to post images from Flickr now, may need to change the site I use.. anyway.

13413582093_bca557799c_n.jpg13413824484_e35c0b8553_n.jpg13413824524_42fb29bff1_n.jpg

Hopefully this is good as an Alternate for Utah. I looked into it and it turns out the "Ski Utah" plates were for marketing purposes. So this one is to. It fuses the logos of SkiUtah and Ski Salt Lake. I look the divider from the Ski Utah logo and put "Ski Utah" on the top in its current font rather than its old script. I almost made the plate white until I say the Ski SLC logo. It double blue with mountains similar to this and I really liked it. I think it turned out quite nice for being completely different from the current plates they have.

I hope this pleases you Mr. Foxxtrot!

That snowflake with the hidden mountain has to be one of the most clever designs I've ever seen. I'm impressed not just by that one plate (my favorite of the series, BTW), but this entire thread. Bravo, good sir! All of these have been great.

Can't wait to see your Ohio plates. We recently got new ones. They're white with red at the top (comes down to a point in the towards the middle of the plate) with the county names sublimited in light gray with your county being in bold. It's okay, pretty much a modernization of the bicentennial plates.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Yo... this is one of the coolest concept threads I can remember. Bravo!

My only two cents... I'm from ohio and we have the county sticker and registration/expiration sticker on the bottom left and bottom right of the plate.

I know this probably varies by state (sticker size, placement, etc.) but I did notice you placed logos in the corners on some designs. Should we assume these stickers would be placed in corners without a logo?

May be a dumb question, but it's the only issue I could come up with! Haha

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Just some tidbits for ohio:

State bird is the commonly used symbol-the cardinal
"Birthplace of aviation" is the commonly used motto
The state flag is commonly used. It's iconic because of its shape.
The buckeye tree is the state tree. The buckeye nut is a commonly used symbol as well.
"Beautiful Ohio" is a simple phrase and is also the name of the state song.

Recently the plates have been white with primarily red detail with navy plate numbers.

The current design has a red triangular section on top that reads "Ohio" in a sans-serif font. The state shape makes up the hole in one of the "o"s. There are sublimated phrases all over the plate.

The previous design was hideous. Bright blue and yellow with a farm scene. Nobody likes them, stay away from that haha.

In the 90s we used white plates with a gold gradient and navy lettering/numbers. With "The heart of it all" in red script (later versions had "Birthplace of Aviation" in red text). Nice plates at the time, but they aged quickly. Rust doesn't help those plates at all either.

I personally would suggest keeping it classy and simple. We've used navy plate numbers for quite some time, so I'd stick with that. And scarlet/red is our primary color--state bird, flower, flag, etc.
I think a silhouette of a cardinal in scarlet would make for a great symbol for the center of the plate.
I like the simplicity of the current plate text, but the bicentennial script has always been solid (I'd suggest keeping it one color).

White plate with primarily red details, with navy numbers, a cardinal silhouette, and maybe "Beautiful Ohio" (with the Ohio script being used) in white over a red top bar (or triangle like currently used).

Alternate could be a "birthplace of aviation" plate of some sort.
Just my two cents. Sorry that was lengthy. Haha

EDIT: Added links with reference images.

My suggestion for Illinois is just to take this beautiful classic

il92.jpg

And change the text at the top to Gotham, The Obama Font. Don't get too conceptual. Most of this state is a suburb.

EDIT: like so

7tV4Qs7.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My knowlege of Illinois is limited so it helps to know what plate yall prefer.

To the Ohioan, I've been to Ohio many times so most of what you said I already know haha - I even have an Ohio flag in my Room! I really don't like any of their plates even the white ones with red/blue letters. I have an idea in mind and I know I will get mixed results, but you already hinted at it in your tips. Thats all I will give for Ohio.
And don't worry about being lengthy, its better then guessing whats important to locals by reading a full page on Wikipedia, so I appreciate the enthusiasm.

As for registration stickers, as I've mentioned before, my hopes is for one sticker only - usually top right. Ontario gives out a "FEB 15" style sticker the month prior and year prior - meaning it expires on the date on the sticker. Thats a good enough regestration if you ask me. No need for county numbers (that would worry me about safety), no reason for a year sticker and a month sticker either.

who da hoe? Idaho!!

13388226453_c0c0544711_n.jpg13388226813_7531ebe2db_n.jpg13388446094_edfd26b0cc_n.jpg

The current plates aren't my favourites, but they are quite noticeable for the RWB plates. I removed the gradients and lowered the mountain and trees so they are more leveled. Note: I'm about 70% sure the mountains to the east are higher than the west and thats why they did that in the first place so the right side is still slightly higher. I removed "Famous Potatoes" because well... really?... Famous Potatoes?... Kinda weird, they could have at least made it sound clever. I used Gem State because it's the states nickname. Nothing else really new here, it was just one of those states I didnt really want to break tradition and didnt have a large enough population to worry about pissing off.

I really liked the 1986 plates - as well as their old colour scheme of light green/teal/seafoam colour on white. So for the Alternate, is exactly that. I cleaned it up and flipped the placement. I really wanted a plate that was opposite from California (California having the characters at the lowest part of the plate, Idaho being at the highest part). Yes, I went stupid again and made the divider the state shape, I need to stop doing that!! The font is the same as the regular plate to keep some consistency, other than that, there isn't much more to say.

13388227173_65a81dbd3a_n.jpg13388093915_c0c38d9887_n.jpg13388227533_29f2618ed5_n.jpg

Okay, one of my most favorite plates out there is the current Idaho plate. It's one of those plates that looks stunning with a gradient. And honestly, the switch to a black number font that came along with the switch to flat plates made the Idaho plates look even classier, in my opinion.

As for your alternate Idaho, I would suggest moving the state name and the mountain to the top part of the plate so you could differentiate it from your very similar Montana design. Other than that, it looks very simple and classy.

And since everyone's already pitching in with solutions, I'll give my 2 cents on a possible California design.

To tell you the truth, California is just too diverse to be represented with just one design. An example could be if you did the primary design of just the Golden Gate Bridge. It just doesn't represent the state perfectly because SoCal is vastly different from the Bay Area. Likewise if you do a beach primary (although I do admit I love the sunset plates from the 80s), it just doesn't translate well to areas such as the Central Valley or the Sierras.

In my opinion, our current plates look very classy. Seems very simple, but it doesn't favor any single part of the state. I would recommend either a return to the gold-on-blue or gold-on-black color schemes with possibly the current California script and maybe even a nod to the sunset plates.

I'm really looking forward to your take on the California plates and I'm really loving this series in general. Great job and keep it up!

Lol don't spoil the California plates!! Haha.

As for the Idaho being at the top, i was thinking to have it above to differentiate it, but the fct is there are only 2 plates I made with the State name at the bottom. Plus the colour scheme is vastly different as well. I will make one that flipped so you can see it

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My knowlege of Illinois is limited so it helps to know what plate yall prefer.

To the Ohioan, I've been to Ohio many times so most of what you said I already know haha - I even have an Ohio flag in my Room! I really don't like any of their plates even the white ones with red/blue letters. I have an idea in mind and I know I will get mixed results, but you already hinted at it in your tips. Thats all I will give for Ohio.

And don't worry about being lengthy, its better then guessing whats important to locals by reading a full page on Wikipedia, so I appreciate the enthusiasm.

As for registration stickers, as I've mentioned before, my hopes is for one sticker only - usually top right. Ontario gives out a "FEB 15" style sticker the month prior and year prior - meaning it expires on the date on the sticker. Thats a good enough regestration if you ask me. No need for county numbers (that would worry me about safety), no reason for a year sticker and a month sticker either.

Ah, okay. I missed that part about the stickers. I was limited to mobile earlier, which gets frustrating at times.

I like the idea of a single sticker as well. I didn't mind Ohio's county stickers when they were county names. I thought it was kind of neat. Now it's just the county number (at least that's all that's legible from more than a foot away). Boring. haha

I like the latest installments! Keep it up

not a fan of the alternate Idaho plates.

I don't blame you. it is very old looking and quite strange. I still think its an improvement on the one I based it off of. The only thing I will give the old plate is that really clever "A" with the mountains and tree on it.

id86.jpg

Is there anything in particular that you think should be edited, or do you just not like the whole thing?

Archived