World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

13388820354_67f5ff10b2_n.jpg13388599553_764ebb9974_n.jpg13388464365_a8f23beafd_n.jpg

Alright, I'm not expecting too many people to like this one as I feel it's too plain. I want to make an Alternate plate if I can get anymore ideas.

So I scrapped the current Mt Rainier plate for this green one. It's the only green plate I can think of with the exception of Vermont and it is an inverted version of the 1968-1987. Green is the colour of Washington's flag, its one of the main colours of Cascadia and it is called the Evergreen State. I kept the traditional offset "WASHINGTON" and the "Evergreen State" mark at the bottom. Washington's head is the divider and is the Highway Sign too. Not much else to say, pretty basic plate.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Washington's simplicity. However, maybe you could use a more stylish font for the state name and the nickname.

Already on it haha. I found a font that is identical to the current font. Also another problem was the offset "WASHINGTON" wasn't lined up with the characters. Update will be up in 10 minutes!

Edit:

13440424254_d30b349f90_n.jpg13440424314_568398c2d7_n.jpg13440424414_333512b64e_n.jpg

Alrighty, fixed the font. Its almost exact to the current font. Everything else remains the same.

I felt bad to ditch the Mr Rainier plate - as I do like it myself - I made a green based version rather than blue. The "Evergreen State" is white because I liked it that way, really no other reason haha.

13440424354_8fb71a6b6e_n.jpg13440174423_05b615e3f6_n.jpg13440174453_b7d2f9339d_n.jpg

Much better although I gotta be honest with you, that shade of red you used on the Rainier plates make my eyes hurt when I see them. Maybe toning it down to a darker red might make it easier on the eyes...

I had the brightness on my computer down wgen I made it, now that I see it on my phone, it is quite bright. Ill fix it tomorrow

Try a slightly darker, bluer shade of green. Kelly green doesn't really work for spruce trees and such.

Good call, I thought the flag was Kelly Green - which I really don't like that colour, its the only colour I don't like - but the flag has a Darker green with more Blue hues. The colour is now exactly the same as the flag.

For the Alternates, I darkened the Red and I made the "Evergreen State" red instead of white as well.

Should be the last of Washington.

13455647204_6f0a5eb823_n.jpg13455279755_0d92c71a3c_n.jpg13455279765_54b6b2d149_n.jpg

13455722694_b3627edc59_n.jpg13455354625_0edfffa42b_n.jpg13455475283_ccfd13f654_n.jpg

I like Idaho a lot, both the regular and alternate plates.

Washington looks good as well... a bit on the plain side, but better than being overdone. I think a thin border stripe would go a long way, like this:

wa86.jpg

Also, if you're only planning on having one sticker in the upper right... that kind of defeats the purpose of having the state name offset. The alternate plate, though... very nice.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

13480644945_930ed70b19_n.jpg13480645025_a437836fc9_n.jpg13481002234_b58f2dd852_n.jpg

The Oregon plate is basically like the flag/seal. I really liked the navy and gold colours so I used that, also they used a similar look in the 1960's. The sun from the shield is sublimated on the plate. The stars are found on the shield and represent the number of states at the time of it becoming a state, the divider being the 33rd star - representing Oregon itself. The Pacific Wonderland slogan returns.

As much as I like your Oregon plate there, I would recommend you make a plate representing something more Northwestern like the current tree plates. You could still make this plate an alternate as it's really nice!

The tweaked Washington plates are much better as well as much easier on the eyes. Well done!

As much as I like your Oregon plate there, I would recommend you make a plate representing something more Northwestern like the current tree plates. You could still make this plate an alternate as it's really nice!

The tweaked Washington plates are much better as well as much easier on the eyes. Well done!

I was thinking the same but upon research, Oregonian's don't like the Douglas Fir plate. It was criticized for being hard too depict and the tree looks "dead". Oregon is one of those states that is on the boarder of Urban and Ru..... um... forests? lol.... I think the whole tree thing is overdone and the font is terrible. I couldnt think of any ideas but when I saw the 1960's plates, I had an idea. Then I looked at the State Seal and went to town on it. If I come up with any ideas for an alternate plate that somewhat precedes the Douglas Fir one.

If anyone has a suggestion for an Oregon Alternate plate, let me know.

Maybe you could pull off a New York (before their current Empire Gold plates) and incorporate coastline, the forests, possible farmland, and the eastern deserts in there. Much like the old New York plates featuring both Niagara Falls and the New York skyline.

Although I think Oregon could be best represented with a forest theme, as a large part of the state is forest.

13480738605_197c48eb1e_n.jpg13480738675_1b84ec0e14_n.jpg13480738735_00456dd5fb_n.jpg

Nothing's changed, next! :P

The Alternates are a Flag base design and a Vintage mash up. I will post the Flag based one first as I don't like it as much as the Vintage one.
Basically I take California's Unique Red/Green/Brown/White colours and make them into a plate. I really like this unique compination and thought it would be another plate to represent the whole state, or maybe just the non-urban scene. The Bear is the divider, everything else is just there, no reall purpose other than to mimic the flag. It is quite plain but California's plane Lipstick Plate is arguably the most iconic US plate, so for California, simplicity is the goal here. I think the font screams "Valley Girl" lmfao, I had to use it!

13481104774_4f50857676_n.jpg13480854883_7d2eeb727a_n.jpg13480746625_9f8fda9d13_n.jpg

13530587323_e636ba837c_n.jpg13530587473_e07b3db51b_n.jpg13530587553_a9540c191c_n.jpg

For the 2nd alternate is taking my 2 favourite California plates and squishing them together. I took the 1960's Black with Yellow look for the base. I then took the visit California wordmark - which conveniently included a wave - and I took the look of 1984 "Golden State" look of Gold/Orange Sunrise with - what I believe to be water - underneath it. I screwed around with a few different waves and sizes until I was happy. I put a lot more effort into this one than the others.

If you are wondering why I didnt go with the Blue and Yellow base, Oregon has that scheme already and New York will have the Yellow and Blue look so I didnt want too many of the similar colours - especially being 2 of the more famous states.

Note: I will be taking a break from this for a bit. I have made Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, and Iowa already, but the idea's just aren't flowing like they did from the start. I haven't been satisfied with this latest batch of what I call the Central River States; I knew I was gonna start having a tough time once I got Eastward and some designs just look too out-there. I may just work on Alaska, Hawaii, Wisconsin and Michigan since I already know what I'm doing for them, but I won't be posting many concepts for the next week or so. Sorry.

Okay, this should be a fun review...

Obviously, I like the simplicity of the first one. Although for some reason, it just looks empty without the website on the bottom. But it's just me.

I really like the flag plate. Despite the red star on the upper left corner of the flag being missing, it's a great plate! Using the bear as a divider is just brilliant and I love all the colors used. I could totally see this plate being used in real life if the state ever decides to switch plates. Very symbolic of the entire state. And that's coming from a Californian. One of the best designs yet!

Now for the sunset plate. As much as I love orange and black together (Go Giants!), I just don't see orange belonging there. Maybe red or blue could work, but it's hard to see another color that could work instead of orange. Aside from the color of the state name, I relaly love your execution of this plate!

In my opinion, it kinda bugs me seeing three completely different wordmarks on seperate optional plates. But maybe it's just because I'm the guy for consistency.

Well done!

~ Daryl

Ive always felt that the biggest reason why California has always had a somewhat simplistic look to the standard issue plates is because there are more registered vehicles in California than in any other state. Having plates with more intriquate and complex designs, and producing them on that large a scale, wouldn't be too cost effective in a state routinely known for having budget problems.

Thanks guys! BTW California has plenty of graphic plates with Whales, Palm Trees, Mountains, etc. so I don't think thats the issue. I think the plain look - because it has always been plain - is the favourite, also it doesnt favour one particular area.

I too was worried about 3 different wordmarks but the Black one was the last to be done so I really didnt have a choice. At first I had just a black version of the plain one with the California part being yellow, but I thought that was effortless. I could also try the State Flag plate with the Lipstick script, no idea why I didnt think of that.

I could maybe throw "The Golden State" on the plain one to keep some consistency.

Also, I was debating over the Red or Orange in the Black Sunset one. I picked Orange because the red bled in with the black too much. Blue was not even recognizable at all. I will try to make the Orange more Red - it actually was adjusted already haha - and if it looks better, I will just change the images on here. I fixed the colours to red, its in the same post.

Anyway, glad the Californian likes them, I was a little worried. Hopefully this will tide y'all over for a while.

I agree with California plates being the most iconic. I love that script, Valley Girl or not. I wonder if you could split the plates up with SoCal getting the lipstick script and NorCal getting the earthier red/green/brown one. I had that sort of idea for Illinois, where the Chicagoland counties could get the throwback plates and the rest of the state could have some sort of pastoral design, or floating Lincoln head, or whatever they're into.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the idea of plates that are designed to appeal to different regions within their state, although I'm not sure it has to be as formal as what you're proposing... maybe a Chicagoan transplanted downstate should have the option of a plate that reminds him of home.

Of course, I think BBTV's idea of plain plates with state postal codes in all different colors is the best idea, but that wouldn't make this thread very fun, now would it?

Archived