World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of plates that are designed to appeal to different regions within their state, although I'm not sure it has to be as formal as what you're proposing... maybe a Chicagoan transplanted downstate should have the option of a plate that reminds him of home.

Of course, I think BBTV's idea of plain plates with state postal codes in all different colors is the best idea, but that wouldn't make this thread very fun, now would it?

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to limit people to their exact place of residence within the state, that's why I had 3 options. I would personally like the Black Sunrise plate even if I lived in Fresno or Bakersfield which is no where near the Pacific Ocean... Ok I wouldnt live there but you get the point lol.

Like I said, the goal is to appeal to as many within the state within a maximum of 2 plates. That being said, some are just really hard with the largest city serving as a stereotype for the entire state (New Orleans' Mardi Gras to Louisiana, Portland's Roses to Oregon, Las Vegas' Nightlife to Nevada), those plates were the hardest to make and they usually turned out plain and uninspired - except for Oregon.

Anyway I will be posting the registration sticker soon since so many have asked about it.

Here is a basic idea of what I picture the Nation-wide stickers to look like

The base colour will change depending on the month and year.

The year will be in black unless the base sticker is black or dark blue itself. The numbers are split into 2-4 pieces and will feature the written out script within it. (I got the idea from OK's 2011 stickers)

The month will be the colour of the base of the sticker. It will be spelled out into a 3 letter abbreviation and will feature the letters of the full month name within the top and bottom of the letters.

The state of registry will be vertically written in it's 2 letter official abbreviation.

The serial number is directly in the centre of the sticker and is the colour of the base.

The background will have the state name in all capitals and all lower-case repeated in a slightly different shade of the base colour.

Over top of this will be what appears to be random lines that are reflective and visible at certain angles. it starts on a diagonal fashion from the top left and bottom left corners and gradually widens. Vertical lines will start tight to the left and gradually widen to the right. Horizontal line will be tight at the top and bottom and space out towards the centre.

I tried to make is as unforgeble - that's not a word - as possible even though I don't believe thats a common issue. But just in case someones claims so, here is an in depth look at it haha.

13569986085_f5f35c9008.jpg

I like the idea of plates that are designed to appeal to different regions within their state, although I'm not sure it has to be as formal as what you're proposing... maybe a Chicagoan transplanted downstate should have the option of a plate that reminds him of home.

Of course, I think BBTV's idea of plain plates with state postal codes in all different colors is the best idea, but that wouldn't make this thread very fun, now would it?

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to limit people to their exact place of residence within the state, that's why I had 3 options. I would personally like the Black Sunrise plate even if I lived in Fresno or Bakersfield which is no where near the Pacific Ocean... Ok I wouldnt live there but you get the point lol.

Like I said, the goal is to appeal to as many within the state within a maximum of 2 plates. That being said, some are just really hard with the largest city serving as a stereotype for the entire state (New Orleans' Mardi Gras to Louisiana, Portland's Roses to Oregon, Las Vegas' Nightlife to Nevada), those plates were the hardest to make and they usually turned out plain and uninspired - except for Oregon.

Anyway I will be posting the registration sticker soon since so many have asked about it.

This is a really good point. I've always thought Wisconsin had the opposite problem... the dairy industry is mostly a Northern Wisconsin thing, and doesn't really have a presence along the I-94 corridor (Madison, on through Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha) where most of Wisconsin's population actually lives. Beer is a much more universal cultural icon for Wisconsin, but a lot of civic leaders and polticians (even those who pander to the 'MURICA element of the state) are too scared of being seen as promoting binge drinking and drunk driving to actually advocate for it.

Beer on a license plate probably isn't a Hall of Fame idea, you have to admit. Also, there are plenty of farms in southern Wisconsin west and south of I-94. Also2, I thought only about a third of the state's population was in/around Milwaukee (though I'm sure it's closer to half once you add Madison).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

After quickly and dirtily crunching numbers, it appears that just under half of Wisconsin's population lives between Madison and Kenosha. Still, that's a pretty large number for one corner of the state. And while there are some farms south of I-94, they're mostly in the sparsely populated areas like Walworth County. At the end of the day, the most prominent presence of the dairy industry in this part of the state is probably Mars Cheese Castle.

Besides, I think you can still allude to the brewing industry without actually putting a mug of beer on a license plate. Barley and hops, perhaps?

I love the update to the 70s/80s CA design with the sunset. Maybe that on a white plate would be a nice look since I've always thought our current ones were way too plain.

VmWIn6B.png

Ok maybe i didn't make it clear the first 7 times I said it lol..

My plates are all going to follow the same format. Same stickers and Same Character Font.

Stealing Stickers wont get you passed a cop checking its legitimacy.

The sticker can be anywhere you choose as long as it doesnt cover the state name or characters. But its prefered to be top right.

I live in Ontario so I'm well aware of stickers on stickers for those with 1970's plates. If you really wanted to remove old stickers, you can. It will take a while but you can. I don't quite see the issues with the stickers since my goal was for the plates to last 10 years. 10 stickers on eachother wouldnt even be half an inch. Unless your point is that people can't steal them, then my points are irrelevant :P

There must be a lot of idiots down south to even bother stealing stickers. Its one of those crimes where neither party benefits from.

Either way, there is the sticker, take it or leave it. Is the design ok? Will it be visable from a distance? Is it hard to forge? Am I missing info on it?

I love the update to the 70s/80s CA design with the sunset. Maybe that on a white plate would be a nice look since I've always thought our current ones were way too plain.

13606583874_f0c70b8450.jpg

Stealing stickers would be foolish and ineffective. Law enforcement agencies could just log in a license plate number or VIN and immediately find out if any vehicle is legitimately registered regardless of sticker.

Where I live a lot of people put their registration sticker smack in the middle of the plate since it's not uncommon for people to just cut the corners off of people's plates to get the sticker.

I don't think anyone expects it to pass by law enforcement if it's actually checked, but having a stolen sticker would at least stop you from getting pulled over, or getting a ticket while parked on the street.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Where can I sign up to have those put on my truck?

VmWIn6B.png

Where can I sign up to have those put on my truck?

haha, I would have to send my designs into the DOT or whatever it is. I was thinking of it, not sure how they would feel about a Canadian designing it though. I am going to look into it though!

also, I could send you the 3600x1770 version which you can print out yourself :P

I like the white sunset plate! My only issue is that "The Golden State" should be entirely in red. Not really digging the yellow "Golden."

I was just being goofy lol, some guy wanted to see it, so I just switched the colours and forgot to change the colour of golden to see how the colours looked on white. It isnt officially on my list of California plates.... unless... lol.... and its a Golden "Golden", not Yellow :P

My suggestion for Illinois is just to take this beautiful classic

il92.jpg

And change the text at the top to Gotham, The Obama Font. Don't get too conceptual. Most of this state is a suburb.

EDIT: like so

7tV4Qs7.jpg

I wish Illinois offered throwback plates. Not a fan of the gradient, but haven't bothered to switch to a specialty plate. I'd do this in a second.

These are all really nice concepts, 1clk... many are improvements. Just looked through this thread for the first time.

I used to collect the mini plates they put in Honeycomb boxes.

OH I had all those Honey Comb plates from the mid/late '80s. As soon as I opened the box, I'd fish my hand down in to the cereal just to find the plate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived