World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

Ooh, I like this one! My only problem with it is that "Rhode Island" and "Ocean State" are a bit too small.

hmm, I can see what you mean - also it may be an illusion as you cant see the bolt holes. I didn't want the blue to overrun the look anyway, similar to the "hope" banner on the flag itself.

Here it is with the bolt holes to give you perspective.

14922384605_8fca713f4b_n.jpg

and in case anyone missed it on the other page, here's Rhode Island again.

14930706872_ceb3485840_b.jpg

14908080046_3e90026fe4_b.jpg

14931074715_00c3ea9c33_b.jpg

edit: made the script a little larger as it was starting to bug me. accidentally over wrote the font Nova with another Nova so I had to just stretch the font unfortunately.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gonna post Connecticut but I wasn't too happy with it due to colour bleeding so I'll have to do with Massachusetts instead.

I was screwing around with the south Mass border being the divider. Basically the left 3 characters would be where Rhode Island is and the last 3 would be Cape Cod. It's hard to describe but lets just say it didn't turn out too well. I then tried to just have vertical bars or stupid random designs but it just didn't look right. So what we have is basically the current look that they have had for sometime, removed the "the" in The Spirit of America and I added the Mass border shape to the name instead. Sure its not 100% replication of the border but it isn't meant to be - I tried to make it flow like the font.

yawn.

14744629027_64f7478779_b.jpg
14744574528_d4b63a2107_b.jpg
14908198986_245860cdc7_b.jpg

Connecticut had a gradient plate and by now, you all know how I feel about gradients - especially colour to white ones. Legibility is a factor and the sun likes to play around with the colours (half of the New Jersey plates I saw last week were almost white, where others looked completely yellow). I stuck with a blue base - something not used in the area and is also the current colour, I also added the current Connecticut wordmark to the top. I'm still not too happy with this, not sure what it is, it could be that the font is too big or just the font itself, but I tried different approaches and it just looked bad. The State outline returns at the top left and the slogan is changed to their current slogan(?).

By the way, all the States are done now, so I can finally say I finished a big series.

14942774422_7a6aa48b19_b.jpg
14756454169_ac120b4b0c_b.jpg
14756454209_ec2ca8ab3b_b.jpg

I really like the Connecticut plate there! I'm kinda stumped about the wordmark as well, but I find it looking pretty good.

As for Massachusetts, I'm kinda not really feeling the southern Massachusetts border thing. However, I do like your execution of it, so that's that. I would make the fonts a bit thicker, too.

And congrats on finishing this series! It sure has been a very interesting follow all throughout. Well done!

EDIT: Unless I may have missed something, I don't think you've done Maine and Vermont yet. Maybe even Delaware, but I'm not too sure about that one. Also, I'd love to see a compilation of all the license plates in this series!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I really like the Connecticut plate there! I'm kinda stumped about the wordmark as well, but I find it looking pretty good.

As for Massachusetts, I'm kinda not really feeling the southern Massachusetts border thing. However, I do like your execution of it, so that's that. I would make the fonts a bit thicker, too.

And congrats on finishing this series! It sure has been a very interesting follow all throughout. Well done!

EDIT: Unless I may have missed something, I don't think you've done Maine and Vermont yet. Maybe even Delaware, but I'm not too sure about that one. Also, I'd love to see a compilation of all the license plates in this series!

thanks, the posting order will be Vermont, Maine and then the first state will be the last, Delaware. :)

then after that, I will continue with the other Provinces/territories and I have a little surprise I have been working on so this thread isn't over, just the main US redesign is (that was the initial goal)

also, I will make Mass a little thicker, I'm still not sold on the border thing, but it may be one of those stupid things that catches on.

uploading Vermont now since nothing is really different. It's basically just a cleaned up version of the current one. The weird white box always bothered me, it just never fit with the embossed edge of the plate I guess. I just made the entire border white and kept the white bars. Font remains the same, slogan remains the same. I also removed the state(?) tree from the top left. I felt it was already too small to be recognizable and a few plates didnt have it so I just opted for the cleaner (lazier) way.

14952336051_d089a52b86_b.jpg
14768766970_7c540e5006_b.jpg
14768831388_560ee2fde3_b.jpg

This one is a doozy. For Maine, I wanted to stay away from white plates - New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Massachusetts all had white plates - so upon looking at Maine's website, I found myself liking the state that I once never cared for. They had this Navy and this Forest Blue/Green colour that I absolutely loved. Tied in the water and forests that pretty much describe the state in a nutshell. The font and the colours are taken directly form the site, but I had to guess the font for the slogan, but I think it's pretty close.
Maine's plates have always been offset so I opted to welcome that in, and maybe welcome it too much haha. I simplified the State Flower..... erm... pine cone, is that even a flower? Anyway, sorry, but the bird didn't make the cut. I wanted to do a Tourism style slogan to kind of go with the Vacationland slogan from the past, as well as it being one of those places that struggles to get a lot of tourists. The slogan is quite long and maybe I should scrap it, but it kind of acts as a stripe and keeps the plate balanced. The colours are a little depressing I guess, but they are very different from any other plate, as well as it having that very large border, it should be very recognizable - and that's the goal.

Let me know what you think. I personally hate the current plates so I already preferred this one and it grew on me really quickly.

14773794138_cb92e2f2c7_b.jpg
14773727510_825e0eecaa_b.jpg
14773722829_6fd6470aa1_b.jpg

And the First State is the last state. Nothing really different because it's a well known look. Unfortunately I just realized Maine's border is really similar so it was probably a bad idea to pair them together.... oh well. Finally finished the US redesign.

14777020190_ccae86f741_b.jpg
14777020100_ac6c0143f1_b.jpg
14940693086_53e7ebecb4_b.jpg

Since they're practically the real-life plates, I won't really say too much about Vermont and Delaware.

Maine, on the other hand, is another story. I like the unique color scheme, first of all. As much as I don't mind the pinecone being where it's at, have you tried using the pinecone as a divider? As for the text, may I suggest something like "Discover your MAINE thing" on the top and the website on the bottom? That way, it won't seem too repetitive.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Since they're practically the real-life plates, I won't really say too much about Vermont and Delaware.

Maine, on the other hand, is another story. I like the unique color scheme, first of all. As much as I don't mind the pinecone being where it's at, have you tried using the pinecone as a divider? As for the text, may I suggest something like "Discover your MAINE thing" on the top and the website on the bottom? That way, it won't seem too repetitive.

Thanks.

I haven't tried the pine cone as a divider, from the get go, I wanted to make it offset like the real one. I did, however, try to put the website at the bottom. It looked horrible. I'm really having a tough time being less repetitive in the words used but it all went back to this. I will try the one with the website at the bottom and put the pine cone in the centre to see if that helps.

edit: Here is Maine without the offset look

I still prefer my original design. It doesn't flow as well here and the words and characters don't fit especially with that pinecone.

14942891986_983f5df921_b.jpg

Well it has been definitely an adventure completing the US License Plate Redesign. I appreciate all the help you guys provided and I hope I pleased as many of you as I could while also pleasing myself. Although this isn't the end of this thread - I am determined to make it the most viewed thread in the General Design sub-forum - it is the end of the US plates so here they all are in a very odd looking map of the US. I did it this way so it was easy to find the state and it would show what common plates would be shown in the same vicinity. Thanks guys!

14962834531_50947b52f7_b.jpg

This was really neat, loved it. Would like to see more from you in this series. Haven't you been talking about Europe countries, European Union plates or something ?

Merci, much appreciated.

I am far from finished this series. I did talk about European plates redesigned in a North American way but after doing Australia, I realized it's a bit of a hassle to the natives of that state/country, or so it seemed. I had a few ideas for Italy, Switzerland and Germany but since you were already working on some regional plates - among(st) other things - I didn't want to take away from anything you were making. I am currently working on more plates for a certain region. I'm not going to say much, but I don't know too much about this area so it will be very interesting what I come up with and learn along the way. If I thought the US plates where bad, I was in for a surprise haha. The ideas are still flowing and I have new material that I will post in about 5 days! :)

I couldn't wait a whole week to start posting my latest additions to this thread so here goes.

I'm going to tackle Mexico's horrible license plates. Since they use the same size as we do, these will be a realistic redesign. I am removing the typical boring, cluttering, illegible items from their real plates such as bar-codes, serial numbers, government logos (most times), the need to tell us that it is in Mexico (as if Quintana Roo was a state in the US right?) and the useless "Transporte Privato Automovil" that shows up on nearly every plate in case you thought it was an airplane - yes, I understand its for personal cars.
Also, please remember, I am Canadian, the only other language I speak is French so my Spanish may be incorrect at times. Just let me know of an error and I will correct it.

Up first is my favourite state and the only one I have been too, Quintana Roo.
MX_QUIN_GI3.jpg
The colours of Dark Green and Red have been used throughout its life span (did they really start implementing state plates in 1999?) so I used that as my base. The font from 2010-Present is used again and I also used the patterning at the top of the 2010-Present. It is predemoninatly Dark Green similar to 2007-2010 and to take influence from 2002-2007, I have included the God of Winds Temple at Tulum (or at least that's what I searched for when I got the image) in the background in a green shade.

14990525735_592a7d4ea1_b.jpg
14990525405_f0eb632363_b.jpg
14990525565_632d047442_b.jpg

No responses yet, not sure if good or bad. Either way, moving on.

Zacatecas has had this hillside - which appears to be Sombreretillo Mountain - for a few of their plates as well as the 2008 one, which this is heavily based off. I cleaned it up, evened things out and I think the plate itself just looked great on its own. The dividers are 4 hands holding onto each other which appears to be the state/gov't logo, but because it was pretty interesting and positive, I elected to keep it as a divider. The nickname used is "Silver State" due to the state producing 17% of the worlds silver.

MX_ZACA_GI3.jpg

Don't fear, most of the plates are all original material. So far only 2 I would consider boring, the rest are pretty interesting.

14809102788_c1b3ceb831_b.jpg
14972718236_6b883014d5_b.jpg
14995695045_8deeea6167_b.jpg

The next one is one of my favourites thus far. Chihuahua has had a few more decent plates in recent years so I was able to draw influence from them without having to create a completely different design. I retraced the mountains from the 2006 plate and used the design from the 2009. I used a Brick Red/Burgundy colour scheme and the Vegas Gold from the 2006 plates, but for legibility and more colour variation, the numbers are in white - it really makes it stand out more too. The slogan is "Land of Encounter" featured on the 2006 plate as well.

MX_CHIH_GI3.jpg

14815223329_1bd5487834_b.jpg
14815272980_b85260f2d1_b.jpg
14815398337_6782f29084_b.jpg

Thank you very much guys, appreciate it..

Next up is Sonora. Now I was trying to imitate their 2002 look by using the sun in the background. I grabbed the red from the 2005-2012 plates and I was left with something really simple but it looked cool. I have no idea how I made the sun have that slight glow fade to it but whatever I did, it looked awesome. This is also the only plate so far that still includes "Mexico". I did this because the Sonora desert continues into the US as well as a few cities with the same name in the area - you never know, some people might think they are special alternate plates for Arizona. The dividers are a shrimp and cow head due to the large amount of livestock and shrimp (fishing in general) it provides for the rest of Mexico - and I would assume the US as well. The slogan is "Cowboy State".

MX_SONO_GI3.jpg

14827175350_ca2a639541_b.jpg
15013449432_db05958542_b.jpg
14827090949_2534c04dd0_b.jpg

By the way, I have officially surpassed making 100 different license plates! Wow, I'm surprised I still have some fresh ideas haha.

Archived