World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

Hey guys, I have a few redesigns for the States and was debating whether or not to put it in the Concepts thread even though its not sports. I'll put it here for now and see how the feedback is - if there even is any.

Living in Ontario, we have had pretty much the same license plates since the 70's, maybe longer. Seeing plates from the States, well it seems some change every year instead of just using a Registration Sticker.

For my redesign, I will have a maximum of 2 plate options per state - with the exception of California - There will be 3 plates shown of each design; a Vanity (personalized), Normal (3 numbers and 3 letters regardless of how said state spells theirs out) and Blank. Some plates may be restricted to the number of letters - 6 being the minimum, but most will have an 8 letter limit. I'm trying to make these plates look good enough to last 10 years.

I am not doing separate plates for Trucks. If it looks like a truck, it's a Truck, no need to make a different one because it's a "commercial" vehicle. I will not make Government/Veteran/Alumni plates.

Since I am not American, I am interested in any sort of feedback especially on your home state. I will do my best to avoid stereotypes or anything that may be offensive. Enjoy.

Edit (April 29): This will now be a worldwide License plate redesign thread. I will make each plate in the standard North American form of 6in x 12in, so please, don't tell me how the shape won't fit your country's plate location. The list below will be edited soon for the upcoming regions.

United States:

License Plate Map
Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Alternate

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware
District of Columbia (Washington, DC (Whatever they are calling it this year))

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana - Alternate

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada - Alternate

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah - Alternate

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Registration Sticker

Canada:

Alberta

British Columbia

Manitoba
New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia
Nunavut

Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan
Yukon

Australia:

Australian Capital Territory (including Jervis Bay)
Christmas Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Hamilton Island
Hutt River
New South Wales
Norfolk Island

Northern Territory
Queensland

South Australia

Tasmania

Victoria

Western Australia

Mexico:

Aguascalientes
Baja California

Baja California Sur
Campeche

Chiapas

Chihuahua
Coahuila
Colima

Distrito Federal (Mexico City)

Durango

Guanajuato

Guerrero

Hidalgo

Jalisco

Mexico

Michoacan

Morelos

Nayarit

Nuevo Leon

Oazaca

Puebla

Queretaro

Quintana Roo

San Luis Potosi
Sinaloa

Sonora

Tabasco

Tamaulipas

Tlaxcala

Veracruz

Yucatan

Zacatecas

Tamaria (Imaginary Country):

Catleigh
Caithness
East Indiana

East York
Indiana
Kawartha
Manitoula

Mitchoia
New Ontario

North Kawartha
Olea
York

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be very interesting! I myself love license plates and even collect them. Can't wait!

I try to collect them too, it's too bad that many of the American Plates cost $10-$20 in shipping just to get across the damn river! Extremely stupid!. I own a Nassau 2000, Oklahoma 2011, Texas 2011, Northwest Territories 2012, Colorado 2009, Indiana 2007, and about 10 Ontario Plates.

Anyway, I shall post Oklahoma and Texas first.

Remember, my goal is not to make it as fancy as possible, just as clean and timeless as I can, while keeping each states look unique.

13279606573_3f9ea808cb_n.jpg13279606653_efeab175cc_n.jpg13279469625_12cfd81d60_n.jpg

For Oklahoma, I wanted to use the 2011 one with the previous Seafoam Green coloured letters. The shield was brought over from the old design, the white background is from both, the blue band at the bottom and wordmarks return from the current one. This shade of Navy and Crimson looks pretty unique and I am quite please with what was my first concept.

For the Alternate License Plate, I just reversed the colours. Nothing too fancy, I wanted the colours to be the unique item rather than the design.

13279807454_d16f4f0865_n.jpg13279807554_f3d808948f_n.jpg13279807614_f4de1af4ea_n.jpg

Sorry, wont let me post 12 photos in one post. Oh well, more posts for me :)

13279711313_2d940a7e38_n.jpg13279711273_6f82c1b37f_n.jpg13279912344_29250ea855_n.jpg

For Texas, I wanted to use the Red, White and Blue but I wanted to do without the Cowboys and Rockets flying around. As much as I do like that plate, this design seems more timeless. The wordmark is taken from the current list of about 20 plates a Texan can own. As cool as the Pink Lone Star plate is, I think it's overkill to have so many varieties.

The Alternate plate is very similar to the current Black Lone Star one - which I'm assuming is the most common one at the moment - but that star not lining up with the end of the plate bothered me. So, I just fixed that, but I still had to limit this plate to 6 letters.

13279911414_bd6dc37ecd_n.jpg13279911474_27729ca632_n.jpg13279911514_11a1c14cab_n.jpg

I like both the white background Oklahoma license plate and the black lone star Texas license plate. Both I think the individual state. I'm looking forward the rest of this thread. I'm from British Columbia and always hoped that one day the BC government would change this boring plate we have...I was a fan of the 2010 Winter Olympics plate some more adventurous for us west coasters. Maybe something ocean involved.

I like both the white background Oklahoma license plate and the black lone star Texas license plate. Both I think the individual state. I'm looking forward the rest of this thread. I'm from British Columbia and always hoped that one day the BC government would change this boring plate we have...I was a fan of the 2010 Winter Olympics plate some more adventurous for us west coasters. Maybe something ocean involved.

Yea Canada really needs to work on their Provinces Plates. "Beautiful British Columbia" bores the hell out of me. Enough of the White/Blue Plates. I think Ontario can keep it and Quebec too as they are a darker blue, but maybe an all-blue one would look best for them. Alberta's is definitely a nice one, Saskatchewan too, but Manitoba is another one I don't really like.

I will try to incorporate Blue, White and Green similar to the older one they had. I may also use the "Best Place on Earth" even though it makes you guys sound like asses lmfao!

plateDSC_5543.jpg what year is this one? or is it only for Personalized ones?

Yea Canada really needs to work on their Provinces Plates. "Beautiful British Columbia" bores the hell out of me. Enough of the White/Blue Plates. I think Ontario can keep it and Quebec too as they are a darker blue, but maybe an all-blue one would look best for them. Alberta's is definitely a nice one, Saskatchewan too, but Manitoba is another one I don't really like.

I will try to incorporate Blue, White and Green similar to the older one they had. I may also use the "Best Place on Earth" even though it makes you guys sound like asses lmfao!

plateDSC_5543.jpg what year is this one? or is it only for Personalized ones?

If I remember correctly, that plate is only for BC personalized plates.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I will try to incorporate Blue, White and Green similar to the older one they had. I may also use the "Best Place on Earth" even though it makes you guys sound like asses lmfao!plateDSC_5543.jpg what year is this one? or is it only for Personalized ones?

If I remember correctly, that plate is only for BC personalized plates.

Yes that one is for personalized plates in BC. I still think BC normal plates should be an ocean scene or even a BC native inspired plate.

13281887114_e298590c54_n.jpg13281683083_131e3e97e2_n.jpg13281533715_51aaf3ac75_n.jpg

I hate the sublimated Capitol Building building and light blue sheild thing they currently use, it just doesnt scream Kansas to me.
The Mountains arent supposed to be huge mountains, is just to be a hill that represents Mount Sunflower and how the state rises in elevation towards Colorado (and if you think its weird to have a mountain on the plate, there are mountains in the state shield). I took the mountains and the stars - whatever they represent - from the state shield and current license plate. The stars also act as a sun on the horizon. The wheat field is taken from the last generation plate. The flat brown part is self explanatory, it represents the flatlands. I competently changed the colours to match the colours of dirt and wheat, while still keeping the Blue colours from the previous plates and the Flag itself. The filler is the state of Kansas and is only evident on the Normal ones.

13281909964_93dc71683f_n.jpg13281556325_e259a665d9_n.jpg13281707463_ffa8e782dd_n.jpg

For Nebraska, I kept the gradient thing that they seem to have used for a while, but I made the actual plate shaped like the state, rather than the outline. They have never really had a consistent design so there wasnt many options. I do like the 1996 versions though so I may look into it. I kept the Conestoga Wagon which appears to be a big icon for the state. I have to admit, I don't really like this one, maybe its the gradients or something but there is something missing.

I like Kansas' plate, nice use of the gold, brown and Kansas blue. I like how you used the stars from the shield as a Sun.

As for the Nebraska plate, it's good to see an actual plate that has an outline of the state. Wish more states did that, well states that are rectangular in nature. One of my favorite provincial plate is Northwest Territory/Nunavut.

Love plate designs, even though there are too many alternative plates offered in most states. Florida has three basic designs, each with a different text at the bottom ... state nickname, county or In God We Trust. That's ridiculous if you ask me. We have 36 university designs, half of which I have never heard of. Seventeen pro sports plates, including one for the Olympics. There are 29 military themes plates. And then 61 other random specialty designs ranging from Wildlife Protection to Family Values. That's not bothering to count the vintage/authenticated plates you can get.

For those interested in the possibilities ... http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf

Looking forward to what you have in plan to clean that mess up. Kind of hoping to see something other than an orange in he middle of the thing. I have always disliked our basic plate design.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

I really, really like yotheKansas design. Those colors really go well together for a really good design.

However, I don't think I could say the same for the Nebraska design. I like the cutout concept, but I'm not really a fan of the purple gradient. A more gradual gradient with a color more representative of the Great Plains would be better. And maybe a different font for "Cornhusker State."

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Wow a lot of comments :) I will definately look back at Nebraska, I'm still not feeling it and neither does a few others. In the meantime, here is the Dakota's.

13290264045_3b40173445_n.jpg13290264815_6286112f97_n.jpg13290629624_ee03cd444b_n.jpg

South Dakota's is more of a clean up than a redesign. I found that the current Mount Rushmore image was too whitewashed that you could barely make out what it was. This picture of it is definitely clearer without blending in with the letters. I changed the outline of the wordmark to white instead of dark blue. That's about it.

13290648654_7366ed97fd_n.jpg13290285555_3cc9cc94b7_n.jpg13290445663_32925cc1dd_n.jpg

North Dakota was another clean up. The ground and mountains had a strange outline on it so I just omitted it. I flipped the wordmarks so "NORTH DAKOTA" was at the top. I also removed the state's nickname in favour of simply "Discover the Spirit". I also made the buffalo into just the head that would also work as a filler on the normal plates. This is another one I wasn't too impressed with, but it is still clean and unique looking so I think I will just leave it as is.

This is a really neat idea. So far everything has been really tastefully refined -- I'm liking the direction you're taking with every state so far.

One minor note about the Nebraska plate in terms of application -- the holes wouldn't work on a standard vehicle placement because the lower left hole is too far over.

This is a really neat idea. So far everything has been really tastefully refined -- I'm liking the direction you're taking with every state so far.

One minor note about the Nebraska plate in terms of application -- the holes wouldn't work on a standard vehicle placement because the lower left hole is too far over.

I notice that after I ate up the bottom left part. But I figured it wasnt an important screw since many people don't use it anyway. But I guess there could always be a small piece that stretches out or something. I almost didn't add the hole their anyway :P

13295207985_e049dfd0ac_n.jpg13295208075_382ccaccb3_n.jpg13295582194_6c3e3a5cb0_n.jpg

I think this one is my favourite so far. My favourite Montana plate is the 1990-2000 plate so I wanted to pay tribute to it with this. Gradient is gone, the mountains are on the bottom and its cleaned up. I tried to get a font that would match the same font as the 90's one - this font is from the "Keep Calm" meme things. I brought back the Steer's head as a divider, they have used it on and off since the 70's. I think the Maroon and Sky Blue go nice together, almost has a West Ham/Aston Villa vibe to it - I hope that doesn't ruin it haha.

I thought Montana could use an alternate plate because the current one is fairly recognizable - closest one I can think of is Indiana. They based it off the 1975 version and maybe even the 1965 version as well. Anyway, I made it more modernized, I connected the state outline with the name, gone is the Treasure State slogan. I kept the Steer's head in the bottom right as it always has been with this style; nothing really different, just a clean up.

13295208225_6c1b1f7382_n.jpg13295582254_9982b8c9fb_n.jpg13295208395_f7f8f949e4_n.jpg

This is the last batch today, currently working on Utah. I want to have a few finished before posting, so tomorrow should be Wyoming, Colorado and possibly New Mexico.

Archived