Impact Arena Football - Board Game - 24th July - Work Resuming

robo3687

Guest darkpiranha

Hmm... not sure about the skull. I love the rest of the look of it. The skull just doesn't seem to fit with the name. An armada is a more formal military concept, not a pirate-y concept. I like the clean look of the wordmark and the cool stuff you did to the anchor itself. What if you put a sail on the stem of the anchor?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right...another logo...this time it's for the San Diego Armada. Initially I was trying to do something battleship themed, but everything I tried went a bit wrong. So in the end I went a little nautical, and added a skull for good measure, and I think it's turned out to be one of my favourites that I've done.

5p18.jpg

thoughts?

This has gotta be one of the most badass logos I've ever seen. So appropriate for an arena football team.

Hmm... not sure about the skull. I love the rest of the look of it. The skull just doesn't seem to fit with the name. An armada is a more formal military concept, not a pirate-y concept. I like the clean look of the wordmark and the cool stuff you did to the anchor itself. What if you put a sail on the stem of the anchor?

I totally understand this concern, but to me it fits not only because this is an arena football team, but you could make the case that this hearkens to the tattoos many of our Navy men have traditionally gotten. I still agree that there's a somewhat odd juxtaposition between something formal like armada and then this, but I can live with that.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

well how about something completely different from logos and uniforms (well it's still kinda uniforms)...

I was thinking about how if I end up making this board game I probably shouldn't use any one elses template for any uni related stuff, so I figured I might spend a little time making my own before I got too deep into making the uni concepts. Then I was thinking that it might be best if I made my own custom template that wasn't based off of any existing uniform cut (hence further avoiding copyright issues). Then I started thinking of ways to make it unique...and well...it got a little crazy....

In order to give a bit of uniqueness to the look of my game (and these concepts in general), I think I'm going full future football...

a peek at the helmet, by no means anywhere near a final design, but sort of showing the direction I'm going...

7n8b.jpg

the idea is that it's a pseudo motorbike helmet, but the 'facemask' area will be completely (and easily) removable, for safety purposes, probably by some clamps. The visors are optional, and the little bump up there on the top? A little POV camera.

Thoughts?

a little bit of a look at where I'm up to on the template. I decided to go with the "on the body" type of template as opposed to what I had before, to help view the uni's as a whole rather than a bunch of different parts...plus that allows me to have the gloves, shoes, and undershirt all in there as well which is what I was after...pretty happy with how it's coming along.

m7o3.jpg

thoughts?

Guest darkpiranha

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the first full concept with it. Curious as to what elements will resemble current football design and what elements will have radical departures.

@MJwalker - I will probably do one with a revo helmet on it eventually

@darkpiranha - it should be about a decent mix of traditional and 'radical', I'll try not to go too nuts on them though...lol

-----

I've had a productive night and have gotten a lot more done on the template. I still need to do the front and backs for the helmet, and redraw the gloves and shoes on the back view so they're facing the right way, but it's almost there.

nyji.jpg

this look awesome it is like no more facemasks in the future but this should be interesting to see how the teams blend into this uniforms/helmets

I did a quick test last night of the New York Enforcers uni and it looked pretty cool, the helmet still worked which was good.....

-----

On the subject of the facemask I can't decide whether I should leave it flat like it is or put vents in it to make it look a bit more facemask-y? I think if I leave it flat it might open up possibilities for more graphical designs on the mask area....

Vents would help not only with design but would help on-field if this were real. Right now this looks a little like a racing helmet (nothing wrong with that), but whenever I'm watching pre-race coverage and they're interviewing a guy with their helmet on, it is tough to make out what they're saying. On the field, communication between the QB and his receivers or communication on the defensive side would be muffled and you couldn't tell what they were saying.

Sorry for going a little off topic. I like the idea, but I'm just trying to think about how it would work in real life.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Vents would help not only with design but would help on-field if this were real. Right now this looks a little like a racing helmet (nothing wrong with that), but whenever I'm watching pre-race coverage and they're interviewing a guy with their helmet on, it is tough to make out what they're saying. On the field, communication between the QB and his receivers or communication on the defensive side would be muffled and you couldn't tell what they were saying.

Sorry for going a little off topic. I like the idea, but I'm just trying to think about how it would work in real life.

yeah i'm thinking of putting some vents in the back as well, I also want to try and avoid them on the sides so they don't get in the way of logos, so yeah,front and back vents will have to do. Communication wise the problem is solved by having a comm system built into the helmets themselves (mike's in the enclosed facemask,and speakers by the ears), this would allow for easier communication between all players and would cut down on shouting and competing with crowd noise....

and don't worry about this being off topic,I consider it very much on topic...even though they're details that will have absolutely zero bearing on any final application in a board game (or a photoshop concept) I love thinking about all the logistics behind everything.

well the majority of this template is now done....I spent most of today drawing up the helmet and I think I'm happy with where it is....all that's left to do is redraw the hands and feet of the back view and then I can get back to concepts...

75fx.jpg

thoughts?

with this helmet, there'd be no more facemask penalty

hey maybe set up a voting ballot with maybe 4 or 5 different design of helmets which you could come up with? that way anyone can vote which one they liked the best

Oh yeah also why not make the eyeshield to be color tinted too?? depend on which teams?

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Guest darkpiranha

I like it a lot, but I would round off the chin a bit. The point looks a little dangerous, and you wouldn't want any of your imaginary players to get hurt, would you?

lol. I agree. For this reason, and also rounding it off would make it slightly more like a proper evolution of a football helmet rather than a racing helmet which it still mostly looks like right now.

As far as vents, rather than large aerodynamic slits like you'd find on something like a racing helmet, what if it's more like a screen? Like dozens of small holes all dotted together. That'll allow you to have your ventilation, but not require you to have to design around slits or have logos half with chunks missing.

I like your way of pushing the 'Pause' button ;o). This template is great. (Makes me want to create my own as well.) And the way you did it shows how much you think about functionality and perspective.

With the helmet I agree with Veras and darkpiranha. The chin looks a bit awkward. I like that you want to take it to another level and be futuristic. But covering the whole face would take away the players personality too much, I think. Perhaps with a transparent facemask?

Hope you get that right - overall I really like it.

All the best wishes

Daniel

Archived