Impact Arena Football - Board Game - 24th July - Work Resuming

robo3687

Any chance of a Canadian team(s) being included in the league? Like Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary? Cheers

Absolutely, if I ever get through all these teams I'll likely add some more, and a Canadian team is on the list

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huntsville Hammers

Division: South Western

Hometown: Huntsville, AL

Stadium: The Hammerdome (fictional)

Notable Players: Maurice "Mack Truck" Tucker (RB), Brutus Jackson (DT), Elton Bozeman (S)

Notes: This one was based on the Yellowhammer bird, with the markings on the helmet mimicking those on the head of the bird. I then tried to carry that striping pattern through the rest of the uniform. With all these teams I'm going to try and move away from the idea of a white away jersey, unless the design actually calls for it (as was the case for the Enforcers and Crusaders). I've always liked the idea of colour vs colour, and it should be an interesting challenge (ie. headache) to make it so all the combinations work together well enough...

Logos coming soon....

0n3r.jpgd3nh.jpg

Wow, what a fun thread. Given the license to create crazy uniforms for an arena football league, you've not only taken real advantage but also avoided any monstrosities (so far). I like how you're modeling each uniform of something from real life, although I see a danger in that as you may be conceptually thinking more about those things than uniforms, but like I said, I think so far you've done a really nice job. However many qualms I may have with glorifying the NYPD or Knights Templar--even though I can clearly see how it would be more fitting to London, and I don't know the general feelings of people from Boston towards the British, but you know they had a certain tea party there once, and I think there's a strong Irish segment of that population--I think you've transposed them nicely onto uniforms. And even though I've never heard of that bird, I like the look, particularly the helmet and pants, although I wonder if the jerseys need those stripes. Makes the whole thing very-stripes heavy (at least the socks don't have multiple stripes), but maybe that's true to the bird. And, of course, everyone's going to mistake this Alabama team as being from Pittsburgh.

Now, to address some non-uniform related things (mostly names):

South Eastern Division

Huntsville Hammers - Huntsville, Alabama - Home - Away - Logos
Oklahoma Stampede - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Orlando Orbits - Orlando, Florida

I hope you're not in the middle of designing the Orlando Orbits yet, because as a former resident of Central Florida, 20-30 minutes from the Space Coast, I think we would question whether Orlando truly represents us. Yes, Orlando is the closest city that we identify with, but it really has little to do with the space program. I'd say Orlando is most known for its theme parks and murder (a sad combination, I know, but it was the murder capital of the U.S. in 2006 and is generally one of the worst cities for that). Hearing that you're a Madden fan, I'm guessing you get the name from there, and you would think that Tiburon would have come up with better names for the city they're right outside of. Orbits is probably the best out of the 3 given, as Wizards is just too KKK and Sentinels is based off the name of Orlando's newspaper. Apparently, when that newspaper ran a fan contest to come up with a name for the Orlando Magic, the four finalists ended up being "Heat", "Tropics", "Juice" and "Magic", so idk, maybe consider Tropics?

re: the Portland Beavers - I was looking around at other cities in Oregon I could put a team in and thought about Salem. Would the Salem Warlocks work?

Easy to confuse the two, but the Salem Witch Trials--which I'm guessing you're referring to, re: Warlocks--were held in Salem, Massachusetts, not Salem, Oregon. (A way to remember this is that back then the U.S. was only New England, of which Massachusetts is a part of, whereas Oregon was some far off, unimagined part of the frontier.)

Looking forward to seeing the template and the rest of your concepts!

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Any chance of a Canadian team(s) being included in the league? Like Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary? Cheers

Absolutely, if I ever get through all these teams I'll likely add some more, and a Canadian team is on the list

You never did say what kit template you're using in your concepts

@seattlesonicsofsacramento: thanks for all the thoughts, they're much appreciated! I'll try and address them all.

I like how you're modeling each uniform of something from real life, although I see a danger in that as you may be conceptually thinking more about those things than uniforms

It's something I've been trying to be wary of, and as such I'm not going to try and do some super themed design for every uni. There will be some more traditional looks coming.

I hope you're not in the middle of designing the Orlando Orbits yet, because as a former resident of Central Florida, 20-30 minutes from the Space Coast, I think we would question whether Orlando truly represents us. Yes, Orlando is the closest city that we identify with, but it really has little to do with the space program. I'd say Orlando is most known for its theme parks and murder (a sad combination, I know, but it was the murder capital of the U.S. in 2006 and is generally one of the worst cities for that). Hearing that you're a Madden fan, I'm guessing you get the name from there, and you would think that Tiburon would have come up with better names for the city they're right outside of. Orbits is probably the best out of the 3 given, as Wizards is just too KKK and Sentinels is based off the name of Orlando's newspaper. Apparently, when that newspaper ran a fan contest to come up with a name for the Orlando Magic,

Well you're right about the Orbits coming from the Madden stuff, I was originally just going to transplant my other Orbits concept over, but then last night I'd started exploring ideas for some astronaut themed uni's. So it's good to get your input, its a bit of a disadvantage being from Australia, I don't know a lot of the specifics about cities and am reliant on some googling...lol...

it was the same with the Salem Warlocks thing, just after I'd posted that I looked into it and did realise I had the wrong Salem...so that one's off the table...

You never did say what kit template you're using in your concepts

it's a modified version of this one: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/94882-nike-hypercool-football-template-release/?hl=hypercool

i took the svg into illustrator, cleaned it up and reorganised it a bit, then took it into photoshop and split/masked out all the layers. I will post it in here once I get a few organisational quirks worked out.

the four finalists ended up being "Heat", "Tropics", "Juice" and "Magic", so idk, maybe consider Tropics?

I'd love to see an Orlando Tropics look. That, and Seninels is a solid name in my opinion. Juice is better for a baseball team in my opinion, I really couldn't see it used well on a football team.

the tropics could work, but really if I don't go with orbits I'm open to pretty much anything, cities included...

-------------------

in other news I might have another team or two up soon....I've been working on these ones:

- Milwaukee Stags

- San Diego Armada

- Phoenix Firebirds

- Orlando Orbits (but I'll be revisiting this)

I hope you're not in the middle of designing the Orlando Orbits yet, because as a former resident of Central Florida, 20-30 minutes from the Space Coast, I think we would question whether Orlando truly represents us. Yes, Orlando is the closest city that we identify with, but it really has little to do with the space program. I'd say Orlando is most known for its theme parks and murder (a sad combination, I know, but it was the murder capital of the U.S. in 2006 and is generally one of the worst cities for that). Hearing that you're a Madden fan, I'm guessing you get the name from there, and you would think that Tiburon would have come up with better names for the city they're right outside of. Orbits is probably the best out of the 3 given, as Wizards is just too KKK and Sentinels is based off the name of Orlando's newspaper. Apparently, when that newspaper ran a fan contest to come up with a name for the Orlando Magic,

Well you're right about the Orbits coming from the Madden stuff, I was originally just going to transplant my other Orbits concept over, but then last night I'd started exploring ideas for some astronaut themed uni's. So it's good to get your input, its a bit of a disadvantage being from Australia, I don't know a lot of the specifics about cities and am reliant on some googling...lol...

the four finalists ended up being "Heat", "Tropics", "Juice" and "Magic", so idk, maybe consider Tropics?

I'd love to see an Orlando Tropics look. That, and Seninels is a solid name in my opinion. Juice is better for a baseball team in my opinion, I really couldn't see it used well on a football team.

the tropics could work, but really if I don't go with orbits I'm open to pretty much anything, cities included...

Totally understandable; I wouldn't know much about Australian cities without the help of google (and the CCSLC!). And I wouldn't want you to scrap all the work you've put into an Orbits design, but I don't have any better places in mind right now. The actual Space Coast where NASA's space shuttle flights were launched probably isn't able to support a professional team.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

And I wouldn't want you to scrap all the work you've put into an Orbits design

not a worry at all, I'd only spent about half an hour on them...and try as I might the astronaut thing just wasn't working...

---------------

So it's looking like it might be better for the game to have 18 teams as opposed to 12, mainly because the size of card I was planning on using for teams (3.5x5 inch) print in sheets of 18. So I figured it best not to waste any space.
So with that in mind I've done some preliminary shuffling of the teams and grouped them into North and South conferences with 3 divisions each (East, Central and West) with each fo those having 3 teams.
The teams in bold below are the new ones (6 new + Orlando relocated to Miami), and some of them I've given names but others I'm open to suggestions. I've added some questions to a couple of the others to get thoughts/suggestions also.
Northern Conference
West
Portland Prowlers
Seattle (???)
Vancouver Maple Leafs (???)
Central
Omaha Mustangs
Springfield Atoms
Wisconsin Stags
East
Boston Crusaders
New York Enforcers
Washington Federals (???, would it pose any copyright issues with the old USFL team?)
Southern Conference
West
Honolulu Wave (maybe Breakers) (???)
Las Vegas High Rollers (maybe just Rollers?)
San Diego Armada
Central
Oklahoma Stampede
Phoenix Firebirds
Austin Rattlesnakes (maybe just Rattlers)
East
Huntsville Hammers
Atlanta Bombers
Miami (???)

Seattle- Legends. Like Bigfoot.

Vancouver- Wolves? Grey Wolves maybe?

Honolulu- Islanders

Miami- Blaze? You could look at some old Dolphins suggestions.

Atlanta- Olympians. Hosted the Olympics once.

Any way you could explain the board game a little bit? I'm really anxious to see what that's going to be like.

thanks for the ideas guys, keep em coming.

Any way you could explain the board game a little bit? I'm really anxious to see what that's going to be like.

The simplest way to describe it would be a combination of tabletop wargame meets arena football.
A lot of details are changing all the time but at the moment there's the 18 teams (though i'm only testing with 2 teams) and a pool of players you can draft from. Currently the pool is about 100 players.
Each play is carried out on the board by maneuvering each player around, to block, carry the ball, defend passes etc. A lot of the gameplay stuff is going through a bit of an overhaul so I can't really be anything but vague on it I'm afraid...lol
The reason for picking arena football was scale. To do a full scale NFL style field at the size I wanted was going to be prohibitively big. The current board is still fairly large, but much more manageable. The other bonus was that each side only has 8 players on the board as opposed to 11 so turns will take less time.
The plan is for it to be a self distributed print and play game.

Man, the Federals primary just pops. Really beautiful. Might be a corny suggestion, but it looks like the brow might lend itself to a "W" shape.

I would also like to point out that this the exact way to get input on team names. Have tangible concepts already finished like robo has done here.

Team names...I would sort of shy away from Bombers for ATL. The whole Olympic thing leaves a bad taste.

Maybe Atlanta Phoenix? I know it may look weird, but it connects.

Honolulu WaveRiders? A fishermen approach not surfers.

Great stuff here.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

@gotpixels: really great getting your input, glad you like what I'm doing :)

@mamiller99: I might look into an aviation themed seattle team...i do like the sound of the Seattle Steelbirds....

--------------

I'm thinking I might push through and do the logos for all the teams before I get back to the uniforms (unless inspiration strikes), it was starting to feel a bit like putting the horse before the cart....

So this afternoon I did up 2 more, rounding out the Northern Central Division (i really need to think of good names for the conferences...lol).

Wisconsin Stags

I think I'll be putting the antlers on the helmet when I get to the uniform.

Springfield Atoms

A bit hard to get an interesting logo from an atomic structure...lol...but this is similar to the one I used to use in Madden (where this team originated for me), I think that one had 4 orbits and a football in the middle.

and here's the Northern Central Division all together...

beej.jpgvnal.jpg3q2g.jpg

Do you not believe in logos on helmet? I am of the opinion that unless you are Army, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Penn State, Ohio State, and Boston College that you SHOULD have a logo on both sides of the helmet.

spacer.png

Archived