Impact Arena Football - Board Game - 24th July - Work Resuming

robo3687

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right, update time.

I'm still finishing up a few little bits of the template, but I wasn't completely idle over the weekend, I had my brain thinking of some other teams I could do, mainly a solution for my ever elusive Florida team.

Here's what I came up with this afternoon.

The St Petersburg Pelicans

f2o4.jpg

the main inspiration for it is the St Petersburg city flag, I kind of saw it in a search and thought "well that would be a challenge to make into a workable uni set", so i'm going for it. I'll have to try and steer away from the look of Hawaii's Rainbow Warrior unis though....

the intention was for the logo/wordmark to feel a little retro, like maybe it's one of the older teams in the league...

thoughts?

I think the logo looks good overall. Two things I'm not sold on. 1, the location but, hey, it's your concept!! 2, the rainbow pattern behind the pelican, it's just seems out of place to me. Other than that it looks great just like the rest of them! Keep up the good work!

This is a great identity for a team in St. Pete. There's a pretty large gay community in st.Pete and a whole lot of rainbow flags, this is perfect. Not sure if that was intentional though.

While you used a rainbow, the logo still looks fierce. There was a minor league baseball team in st.Pete called the Pelicans, but I'm sure the Rays (Who I believe own the identity now) would allow the decision.

Great concept, great wordmark, no complaints.

f2o4.jpg

the main inspiration for it is the St Petersburg city flag, I kind of saw it in a search and thought "well that would be a challenge to make into a workable uni set", so i'm going for it. I'll have to try and steer away from the look of Hawaii's Rainbow Warrior unis though....

the intention was for the logo/wordmark to feel a little retro, like maybe it's one of the older teams in the league...

thoughts?

Love this. I looked up the flag and I think you created a nice homage to it. I keep wondering why its head has that sort of ridge to it and isn't just rounded, but you could probably explain what you were going for?

And yeah, I totally get the retro vibe from this, which will be interesting with your super-futuristic uniforms. I really want to see how that turns out, and especially how you're gonna differentiate those rainbow stripes from Hawaii's retros

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

okay here are a few of the updated uni's, most parts were kept the same as before but a few small changes were made here and there.

New York Enforcers

nwzx.jpgtq1s.jpg

Phoenix Firebirds

59g7.jpg3x9r.jpg

Wisconsin Stags

b7nn.jpgncem2.jpg

now you may have noticed the new designation of the divisions on these, and that the Firebirds have moved. That's part of a restructure/expansion I was looking into last weekend, and this is generally how the league will look.

ys22.jpg

and as such I'm after a few name ideas for new teams

Boise - open to anything

Iowa - open to anything

Columbus - open to anything, but something that will work with an orange colour scheme...

Detroit - something motoring related

Albuquerque - something Mexican related...

New Orleans - open to anything but preferably some alternative to Voodoo (as I obviously can't use Voodoo, unless I went Baton Rouge Voodoo or something)

and I'm still not 100% on the Atlanta Titans, so any other Atlanta suggestions or even suggestions from other cities (something from the Carolina's maybe? or Tennessee?)

oh and there's 2 new teams in there, I finally decided on the Honolulu Breakers, and I've added the Kentucky Black Dragons. The Black Dragons are named for a unit of the 101st Airborne, which is based in Kentucky. There will be camo. I had originally intended to do the Kentucky Screaming Eagles, but wasn't keen on having 2 eagle themed teams....

thoughts?

While I'm bummed out that the Crusaders were taken out, I'm still liking this.

New Orleans Witch Doctors for the Voodoo? Detroit Gearheads? Columbus perhaps something, Aviation related due to the History behind it?

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

Boise - open to anything

Iowa - open to anything

Columbus - open to anything, but something that will work with an orange colour scheme...

Detroit - something motoring related

Albuquerque - something Mexican related...

New Orleans - open to anything but preferably some alternative to Voodoo (as I obviously can't use Voodoo, unless I went Baton Rouge Voodoo or something)

and I'm still not 100% on the Atlanta Titans, so any other Atlanta suggestions or even suggestions from other cities (something from the Carolina's maybe? Or Tennessee?

thoughts?

For Boise, I would do either a Basque theme, or bluebirds (state bird of Idaho is bluebird).

For Detroit, I've always wanted to see a concept with the name riot. The Detroit Riot or Detroit Riots would both be good, as there is a history of rioting in Detroit as well.

New Orleans Crescents is a pretty common nickname on these boards.

Boise could be the beavers or trappers or something. Iowa is a bit difficult. So I'm at a loss. Detroit had to be the Motorhounds, or Motor something. Aztecs, Conquistadors, cobras for Albuquerque. I do like the Witch Doctors for New Orleans but it could also be Magic, Night (could be voodoo themed), Voodoo is also said to be the origin of the whole zombie myth. Columbus might be explorers or generals or what have you. This is looking great!!!

Two responses to the uniforms:

(1) For some reason the black in the New York Enforcers' uniforms seems like BFBS. I get that they do have black in their uniforms, but especially when we see the away uniforms with white, it made me wonder how they'd look with a white facemask and socks and shoes.

(2) I'm guessing that color on the Wisconsin Stags is supposed to be silver? Looks a little weird with the effect you chose, but I guess I get the idea.

As for the team names, how about the New Orleans Zombies? The whole idea of zombies comes from voodoo traditions, and since they're so popular right now, you'd figure that New Orleans should capitalize on that.

I may edit this post later to have a suggestion for an auto industry-themed Detroit team name, since I live 40 minutes away from that city, but at this point I'm so jaded against that industry, even if it is recovering (thanks to the federal bailouts).

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

okay here are a few of the updated uni's, most parts were kept the same as before but a few small changes were made here and there.

New York Enforcers

nwzx.jpgtq1s.jpg

Phoenix Firebirds

59g7.jpg3x9r.jpg

Wisconsin Stags

b7nn.jpgncem2.jpg

Whoa! Nice! I liked how you did with Firebirds' updated pants. I thought it'd looked good when I suggested by adding yellow gradient mix into bright red stripe and it turned out great!

One more thing.... these players' names.... were these from Blitz: The League video game? Maybe I am wrong?

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I got a few ideas for Iowa. Falcons could be a good one, I saw a Dusters one time and I like it, perhaps if it's in Des Moines it could be Dynomite. I just enjoy that and I use it for my own arena football fantasy league. Terriers? I'm just goin off the top of my heaf

I feel like these should be used for the next backbreaker game haha

Yeah they have that similar futuristic feel. I was thinking of the flash game Crunchball 3000 if they were to make a legit console edition

I remember crunchball! That would make a pretty sick console game especially if it had customization in it.

Alright so thanks to all your suggestions I think I've nailed down the remaining team names

Boise Bluebirds

Iowa Dusters

Columbus Flyers

Detroit Torque

Albuquerque Aztecs (these uni's should be fun)

New Orleans Night (zombie themed, night of the living dead type of thing)

So here they all are:

qd4u.jpg

@seattlesonicsofsacramento: the black was originally meant to represent the visors of the hats nypd cops wear

@JMTexan09: nah these names have all come out of my head

@t1ao88: I've actually considered going into backbreaker and making a couple of the teams...the uniforms would be a bit limited but I might be able to do a couple of the logos...

---------

i should be getting back to some logos/unis this week.

EDIT: or...maybe I'll just do some this afternoon...lol...here's a sneak peek at the New Orleans Night logo...

hy5y.jpg

Archived