Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

So where to for 2022?

I say USA with a couple opening games in Canada.

image.jpg

FIFA won't allow a joint bid between two large countries, especially when one only hosts a few games.

Well maybe our good friend the Right Honourable Robert Borden can convince them otherwise ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Saudis, as always, are the real bad guys on the block, but Qatar has slavery, so who's gonna stand up for them? Easy scapegoat.

Anyway, this World Cup more than ever needs to not happen.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2017-06-05 at 11:41 AM, the admiral said:

The Saudis, as always, are the real bad guys on the block, but Qatar has slavery, so who's gonna stand up for them? Easy scapegoat.

Anyway, this World Cup more than ever needs to not happen.

I'm looking forward to the gong show it'll inevitably end up as, forever shaming FIFA.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm looking forward to the gong show it'll inevitably end up as, forever shaming FIFA.

You can't shame that which has none.

• Like 7
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 4 months later...

I'll believe it when I hear it from FIFA.  Anytime there's been rumblings about the 2022 World Cup removal, Qatar gives FIFA some extra cash miraculously gets back on schedule.

Who can host it on 4-5 years notice?  It looks like the US wants the 2026 World Cup.  I would think FIFA wouldn't like giving Europe back-to-back Cups (though it would be understandable on short notice)

Hard to beat the U-S-of-A for preexisting infrastructure on short notice. Just let us do the whole thing in 2022 and give up on the NAFTA World Cup. 

From a competitive standpoint, if I'm understanding this correctly, it would be good to give the automatic spot to the United States and open up another spot for a team to earn their way in, rather than the United States earning theirs and Qatar getting in for free to do :censored:-all with it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Hard to beat the U-S-of-A for preexisting infrastructure on short notice. Just let us do the whole thing in 2022 and give up on the NAFTA World Cup. 

From a competitive standpoint, if I'm understanding this correctly, it would be good to give the automatic spot to the United States and open up another spot for a team to earn their way in, rather than the United States earning theirs and Qatar getting in for free to do :censored:-all with it.

I think the USA is the default throwback, kinda like Indianapolis is the NCAA Final Four emergency location when they aren't hosting. I could see FIFA treating Australia as runner-up if USA-CAN-MEX is approved before then. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/7/2017 at 3:58 PM, the admiral said:

Well, that was optimistic.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2014 at 8:41 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

crystal clear air-conditioned force fields that can be deployed over and around the stadiums would be more likely than the Cubs making the world series by then.

Actually, crystal clear force fields that could block rain would be an amazing invention for sports (well, life in general.) Can one of you science nerds start working on that?

I decided to read this thread from the beginning, and came across this post.  Re-evaluate expectations of the Qatari Wold Cup accordingly. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
36 minutes ago, Wings said:

It's still shameful that Qatar is hosting in 2022. Hopefully we get to see Qatar lose all their matches 10-0. 

i think we might get a weird final then (something like, Turkey VS Nigeria) since i think a lot of the UEFA countries will send there B or C teams (i just don't think that the Premier League and the other top leagues in Europe wont shut down for 6 to 8 weeks)  

so long and thanks for all the fish.