Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

FIFA is anti-American, I hear that the 2026 World Cup will be in North Korea.

They aren't anti-American, but they're pro-bribery.

They're also pro slavery which I think supersedes everything.

I'm generally not a fan of baycotting events. I don't think the US boycotting the Moscow games did anything. Likewise with them boycotting the '84 games. But this may be the most disgusting sporting event since the time of the Roman Gladiators. This event shouldn't be boycotted so much as it should be condemned.

I love the World Cup. It is probably my favorite sporting event of all. However, I seriously doubt if I'll watch much of this one. I may be melodramatic about this but having it in November and December is bad. Having it in Qatar is even worse.

I'm generally not a fan of baycotting events. I don't think the US boycotting the Moscow games did anything. Likewise with them boycotting the '84 games. But this may be the most disgusting sporting event since the time of the Roman Gladiators. This event shouldn't be boycotted so much as it should be condemned.

I love the World Cup. It is probably my favorite sporting event of all. However, I seriously doubt if I'll watch much of this one. I may be melodramatic about this but having it in November and December is bad. Having it in Qatar is even worse.

Same here. Shameful how it was granted, shameful human rights abuses allow it to happen (lets be honest here, it's slavery), shameful it's being held when it is, and shameful the confederations didn't stand up to FIFA over it. And from a purely sporting perspective, If there were ever a world cup that would be easy to ignore... this'll be it. That's hockey, football, basketball season. There will be plenty of other things to watch. In the US in particular it'll be the most invisible World Cup in nearly 40 years.

• Like 1

Nov-Dec WC will be weird. Hopefully the EST start times are reasonable enough to watch, or else I won't care as much as I want on a daily basis.

Because in 2022, you will be sedentary. You'll still live at home and the television universe revolves around your life. A match start time better for Europe or Asia is why FOX and Telemundo received a "long term make good" in terms of 2026 rights.

Same here. Shameful how it was granted, shameful human rights abuses allow it to happen (lets be honest here, it's slavery), shameful it's being held when it is, and shameful the confederations didn't stand up to FIFA over it. And from a purely sporting perspective, If there were ever a world cup that would be easy to ignore... this'll be it. That's hockey, football, basketball season. There will be plenty of other things to watch. In the US in particular it'll be the most invisible World Cup in nearly 40 years.

If nothing else the event will serve as an example of what can happen when powerful people want to get stuff done. Because in spite of all of the objections to this both morally and financially. (I don't think any league in Europe is happy about this thing taking place in November-December.) This thing is still happening, literally over dead bodies.

Make no mistake. FIFA is more determined then ever to make sure this thing happens.

The only things at this point that's going to put a dent in this event at this point is if pressure is point on sponsors (I would completely with the assertion that any sponsor of the 2022 World Cup is also a sponsor of slavery) and to have super star teams and players not show up. If you had teams like Brazil, Germany, France and Italy all staying home, it would be hard to call any winner the best team in the World. Same thing if you were to beat an Argentinean team minus Lionel Messi. Obviously we don't know yet who the stars of the 2022 soccer world would be, but they drive the event's legitimacy.

If five of the top ten players in the World elected to stay at home, it would be harder to still call it an actual World Cup.

FIFA is many things. Anti-American is not one of them. FIFA was openly praising the US ratings for the last World Cup.

Rumor also has it that such ratings praise could lead to FIFA awarding the United States the 2026 World Cup*, in celebration of America's 250th birthday.

*on the contingency that the USSF pays a handsome amount to FIFA officials and supplies their own slave workers from Latin America to build stadiums funded 100% by taxpayers to be used only for one summer month, of course

FIFA is many things. Anti-American is not one of them. FIFA was openly praising the US ratings for the last World Cup.

Rumor also has it that such ratings praise could lead to FIFA awarding the United States the 2026 World Cup*, in celebration of America's 250th birthday.

*on the contingency that the USSF pays a handsome amount to FIFA officials and supplies their own slave workers from Latin America to build stadiums funded 100% by taxpayers to be used only for one summer month, of course

jiFfM.jpg

World Cups will probably start being co-hosted. No one cares enough any more to bankrupt their country.

Except Russia & Qatar, who won't be asked back.

Honestly, the era of showcasing cities & countries via WC & Olympics is over. We get it, there are too few lands & cultures left unturned we don't already do business & tourism with yes?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Can we just encourage ISIS to invade Qatar?

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

World Cups will probably start being co-hosted. No one cares enough any more to bankrupt their country.

Except Russia & Qatar, who won't be asked back.

Honestly, the era of showcasing cities & countries via WC & Olympics is over. We get it, there are too few lands & cultures left unturned we don't already do business & tourism with yes?

Olympics definitely, but I think a country hosting a WC is still more than doable, since soccer stadiums in major cities are actually useful after an event
07Giants.pngnyy.png

Can be, but aren't always. Aren't the Brazil venues now lying vacant?

It'll be good to have the World Cup in the US, with all the new

Manaus and Brasilia were terrible locations for these kinds of stadiums. However, there was a need to renovate stadiums. Gremio and Palmeiras new stadiums weren't used at all
07Giants.pngnyy.png

It'll be good to have the World Cup in the US, with all the new SSSs.

Really?

Don't you mean, NFL stadiums which possess the proper FIFA width for "international finals" of 68m/~74yds.?

If not, you would have a very limited capacity event.

Even with temporary seating, which ones COULD be expandable to 35-40K?

C-Bus, as it has no roof.

Frisco, see C-Bus.

Even back in 80's, the National Soccer Complex in Blaine was marked to have a major stadium (45K+) as part of the 1994 bid package. Not a shovel in the dirt for that.

It'll be good to have the World Cup in the US, with all the new SSSs.

None of the soccer-specific stadia in this country are large enough to host World Cup matches.

Maybe for practices and scrimmages can America's SSS be used for the a World Cup.

For example, for all the lore the Home Depot StubHub Center has, the more likely World Cup stadium in Southern California would be Pasadena's Rose Bowl or the new, LA-area NFL mega-stadia which will exist by the next decade.*

*we all know this is a lie

Aren't a lot of South Africa's stadiums vacant as well?

Every WC 2010 stadium is used by at least one team. They're not vacant but often very empty when soccer matches happen. But many of them are used by rugby teams too.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Even back in 80's, the National Soccer Complex in Blaine was marked to have a major stadium (45K+) as part of the 1994 bid package. Not a shovel in the dirt for that.

That's the National Sports Center.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.