Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

and who know what the whole geopolitical thing will be in 2022 in the area (without getting into politics)

If Platini finally fesses up to taking bribes, they should hand it off to Australia immediately. Hell, even Blatter said he expected the US to get it before Platini had lunch with Qataris and Sarckozy. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

No more prestige events for dictatorships, please.

22 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You were first, but I've the same idea.

It's a nice idea, but authoritarians tend to be better at paying the right people to do the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

No more prestige events for dictatorships, please.

Let's just wait and see what 2026 looks like before we make any statements we want to take back, okay?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Let's just wait and see what 2026 looks like before we make any statements we want to take back, okay?

I think 2030 would be the measuring stick. If it's in China or Argentina you'll see a ton of new projects to get stadiums up to code. The US, Mexican and Canadian stadiums are already built or already in the process of being built. None of that will kill over 500 people, let alone 5,000. We're also not as dystopic a nation as people think. It's just that bad news gets more attention than good news.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think 2030 would be the measuring stick. If it's in China or Argentina you'll see a ton of new projects to get stadiums up to code. The US, Mexican and Canadian stadiums are already built or already in the process of being built. None of that will kill over 500 people, let alone 5,000. We're also not as dystopic a nation as people think. It's just that bad news gets more attention than good news.

Say what you will about the US, we're not using slaves to build state-of-the-art stadiums nor would the US World Cup require moving the event to November due to it being 122 degrees in the summer. This event also wouldn't bankrupt the US. Do the people running the Olympics/FIFA get off on leaving developing countries with white elephants they can't possibly maintain?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Say what you will about the US, we're not using slaves to build state-of-the-art stadiums nor would the US World Cup require moving the event to November due to it being 122 degrees in the summer. This event also wouldn't bankrupt the US. Do the people running the Olympics/FIFA get off on leaving developing countries with white elephants they can't possibly maintain?

No they get off on backside bribes and deals that net them millions in personal gain to go against the greater good. 

• Like 2

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

4 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

No they get off on backside bribes and deals that net them millions in personal gain to go against the greater good. 

I think part of the reason Brazil is hosting the Copa America is also to get actual use out of those stadiums they overpaid for. Not all of them though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Are any of them not being used by a club? That'd be a real waste.

Manaus is not because it's in the middle of the Amazon. Others are too big for the teams in that area to afford. Maracana has had issues as well but still gets used irregularly. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

take with a grain of salt:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9323450/england-host-2022-world-cup-fifa-meeting-qatar-axe/

its just a matter of time i think before they decide to move it.  

I trust the Sun to be truthful in anything about as much as I trust a guy with a hook to do my colonoscopy. 

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I trust the Sun to be truthful in anything about as much as I trust a guy with a hook to do my colonoscopy. 

but there was also a few other places that said that about the meeting so like i said, take it with a grain of salt.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9323450/england-host-2022-world-cup-fifa-meeting-qatar-axe/

I'm going take this with as much salt that's going to be produced from the Middle East if they actually go through with moving the World Cup.

It's The Sun. Who gives a :censored: what they report? I don't believe a word of it.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)