Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

As I said, they have it coming, but the after effects would probably knock the world into a depression due to skyrocketing fossil fuel costs. Especially

if it spreads to the other Gulf States.

I know this seems like it has nothing to do with the World Cup, but these workers have been abused long before Qatar was “awarded” the World Cup and will continue long afterwards. Take away the World Cup and that will likely be the breaking point for yet another round of chaos in the Middle East.

I'm not sure that the Middle East has nearly the passion for The Beautiful Game that is found in this post.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm not sure that the Middle East has nearly the passion for The Beautiful Game that is found in this post.

They do, they just prefer to buy established club teams instead of building up the leagues they have at home. And looking at how China's Super League is imploding, they'll probably keep buying mid to low level teams and throwing money into them. Even FC Barcelona may have to bite that bullet to survive if their debts are as high as stated in some reports. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It’s less about soccer and more about how a bunch of workers would be sacrificed for what would now amount to nothing. It’s more the breaking point for the workers in the region than anything about soccer. If you look at the demographic situation in the UAE, like Qatar, you’ll find that the natives who are living in luxury are vastly outnumbered by the workers they lord over. And Oman, the immigrant workers are almost the same number as the native Omanis. It’s not going to be pretty in the long run anyway but the breaking point would be sped up by a couple decades. If it starts in one Gulf State, it’ll inevitably spread.

Edited by Red Comet

22 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It’s less about soccer and more about how a bunch of workers would be sacrificed for what would now amount to nothing. It’s more the breaking point for the workers in the region than anything about soccer. If you look at the demographic situation in the UAE, like Qatar, you’ll find that the natives who are living in luxury are vastly outnumbered by the workers they lord over. And Oman, the immigrant workers are almost the same number as the native Omanis. It’s not going to be pretty in the long run anyway but the breaking point would be sped up by a couple decades. If it starts in one Gulf State, it’ll inevitably spread.

I don't argue any of that - I'm just saying that these issues aren't going to be brought to light, changed, made to matter, whatever on the basis of the World Cup.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

i think FIFA won't move it unless it hits the fan there in Qatar (or the area around it).

here is a good question, what would happen if Israel makes it.  i know they said they would allow them to play, but who know.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

38 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i think FIFA won't move it unless it hits the fan there in Qatar (or the area around it).

here is a good question, what would happen if Israel makes it.  i know they said they would allow them to play, but who know.

They'll drive around in unmarked buses and have heavier security than other teams. Qatar will make sure nothing happens to players because they don't want a repeat of Munich. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They'll drive around in unmarked buses and have heavier security than other teams. Qatar will make sure nothing happens to players because they don't want a repeat of Munich. 

which i think if something like that would to happen (not just the Israel team) but any other team, all bets will be off at that point.

12 minutes ago, dont care said:

Is it possible individual federations would boycott the World Cup? I could really see USA, and other NATO countries following suit.

good question.  i know this World Cup is going to mess with UEFA scheduling a lot.

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, goalieboy82 said:

good question.  i know this World Cup is going to mess with UEFA scheduling a lot.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4461746/premier-league-cant-be-allowed-to-undermine-world-cup-qualifiers-and-they-probably-wont

UEFA confederations are trying to keep their players from being released for games in South America due to the regulations for those players when they return from overseas play. Players could miss up to two weeks of league and cup play depending on their status upon returning from overseas. The United States is not on the "red list" but some Concacaf countries are, including Mexico, Costa Rica, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago. The last two are not involved in qualifying however.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list

Ligue 1 is on board with the Premier League as well because PSG could lose it's two best players for significant amounts of time as well.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/french-ligue-1/story/4462360/ligue-1-blasts-fifa-over-world-cup-qualifying-that-puts-psg-at-risk-of-losing-lionel-messineymar

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oh nice, CBS Sports has the USMNT game. Clint Dempsey and team are a bunch of goofballs.

EDIT: And apparently they're filming this with a 2010 Nokia Lumia. WTF?

And non-stop fireworks. Good lord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lawwwwd, I’m so tired of the US failing to win road games in WCQ against teams we’d demolish on a neutral field. We have players who couldn’t even make the 23-man roster who would be El Savadors all-time best player. 

And our attack desperately needs Pulisic on the left wing, playing with Reyna as a 10. He’s the only player we have who has the confidence and skill to directly attack the man marking him. That’s what Pulisic does best.

I’m just tired of the excuse “it was a road game in CONCACAF”. This is going to be our Golden Generation, we better get the full points on Sunday at home and on the road again next Wednesday in Honduras.

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58432092

Hungary fans still staying as classy as they were at the Euros. UEFA gave them a 3 game stadium ban, but FIFA did not enforce it for World Cup Qualifying. So will they still make Mexico's women's team play without fans instead of making the men have no fans for 2 games? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I was more concerned about what happened in Guinea.

Yikes. We're not even in Qatar yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Talk about messes.. In Brazil, the game between Brazil and Argentina was called off because four players from Argentina supposedly broke quarantine rules.

Meanwhile, in Guinea.. a freaking coup happened and the Morocco national team had to get the hell out of dodge.

If this is how the qualifiers are going, then I expect a total dumpster fire come Qatar.