Brian in Boston

Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

As I said, they have it coming, but the after effects would probably knock the world into a depression due to skyrocketing fossil fuel costs. Especially

if it spreads to the other Gulf States.

I know this seems like it has nothing to do with the World Cup, but these workers have been abused long before Qatar was “awarded” the World Cup and will continue long afterwards. Take away the World Cup and that will likely be the breaking point for yet another round of chaos in the Middle East.

I'm not sure that the Middle East has nearly the passion for The Beautiful Game that is found in this post.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm not sure that the Middle East has nearly the passion for The Beautiful Game that is found in this post.

They do, they just prefer to buy established club teams instead of building up the leagues they have at home. And looking at how China's Super League is imploding, they'll probably keep buying mid to low level teams and throwing money into them. Even FC Barcelona may have to bite that bullet to survive if their debts are as high as stated in some reports. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It’s less about soccer and more about how a bunch of workers would be sacrificed for what would now amount to nothing. It’s more the breaking point for the workers in the region than anything about soccer. If you look at the demographic situation in the UAE, like Qatar, you’ll find that the natives who are living in luxury are vastly outnumbered by the workers they lord over. And Oman, the immigrant workers are almost the same number as the native Omanis. It’s not going to be pretty in the long run anyway but the breaking point would be sped up by a couple decades. If it starts in one Gulf State, it’ll inevitably spread.

Edited by Red Comet

22 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It’s less about soccer and more about how a bunch of workers would be sacrificed for what would now amount to nothing. It’s more the breaking point for the workers in the region than anything about soccer. If you look at the demographic situation in the UAE, like Qatar, you’ll find that the natives who are living in luxury are vastly outnumbered by the workers they lord over. And Oman, the immigrant workers are almost the same number as the native Omanis. It’s not going to be pretty in the long run anyway but the breaking point would be sped up by a couple decades. If it starts in one Gulf State, it’ll inevitably spread.

I don't argue any of that - I'm just saying that these issues aren't going to be brought to light, changed, made to matter, whatever on the basis of the World Cup.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't argue any of that - I'm just saying that these issues aren't going to be brought to light, changed, made to matter, whatever on the basis of the World Cup.

No disagreement with you there.

i think FIFA won't move it unless it hits the fan there in Qatar (or the area around it).

here is a good question, what would happen if Israel makes it.  i know they said they would allow them to play, but who know.

38 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i think FIFA won't move it unless it hits the fan there in Qatar (or the area around it).

here is a good question, what would happen if Israel makes it.  i know they said they would allow them to play, but who know.

They'll drive around in unmarked buses and have heavier security than other teams. Qatar will make sure nothing happens to players because they don't want a repeat of Munich. 

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They'll drive around in unmarked buses and have heavier security than other teams. Qatar will make sure nothing happens to players because they don't want a repeat of Munich. 

which i think if something like that would to happen (not just the Israel team) but any other team, all bets will be off at that point.

Is it possible individual federations would boycott the World Cup? I could really see USA, and other NATO countries following suit.

12 minutes ago, dont care said:

Is it possible individual federations would boycott the World Cup? I could really see USA, and other NATO countries following suit.

good question.  i know this World Cup is going to mess with UEFA scheduling a lot.