Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

7 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Talk about messes.. In Brazil, the game between Brazil and Argentina was called off because four players from Argentina supposedly broke quarantine rules.

Meanwhile, in Guinea.. a freaking coup happened and the Morocco national team had to get the hell out of dodge.

If this is how the qualifiers are going, then I expect a total dumpster fire come Qatar.

The 3rd such coup in the history of Guinea since independence in 1958.

United States midfielder Weston McKennie was sent home by national team manager Gregg Berhalter for spending a night outside of the team's COVID-19 bubble in Nashville, Tennessee, as well as bringing an unauthorized individual back inside the bubble to his hotel room on a different evening, both of which violated the team's coronavirus protocols, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4470334/mckennie-dismissed-by-usmnt-for-two-covid-protocol-violationsincluding-bringing-unauthorized-individual-into-bubble-sources

Good stuff, good stuff.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Is the USMNT game really only available in Telemundo in a tiny screen with vuvuzuelas going crazy?

Concacaf is the gift that keeps giving.

EDIT: Finally they get a win and a +3 GD. 5 points out of a possible 9 isn't the best outcome, but after the first two games, I'll take it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

57 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Is the USMNT game really only available in Telemundo in a tiny screen with vuvuzuelas going crazy?

Concacaf is the gift that keeps giving.

EDIT: Finally they get a win and a +3 GD. 5 points out of a possible 9 isn't the best outcome, but after the first two games, I'll take it.

Paramount+ carries it. I’ve had it since last year for Champions League.

But finally, the USMNT won and won emphatically. After one of the worst halves of football I’ve seen since that debacle in Trinidad, they responded beautifully.

Pepi is our new #9. Without a shadow of a doubt. What a debut for him. And Antonee Robinson was sensational. He’s our starting LB going forward. 

Going forward, the US needs to stop playing in these cute formations, and come out like they did in the 2nd. 

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

44 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

But finally, the USMNT won and won emphatically. After one of the worst halves of football I’ve seen since that debacle in Trinidad, they responded beautifully.

Pepi is our new #9. Without a shadow of a doubt. What a debut for him. And Antonee Robinson was sensational. He’s our starting LB going forward. 

Going forward, the US needs to stop playing in these cute formations, and come out like they did in the 2nd. 

US is best when it's in a 4-3-3, modified to a 4-3-1-2 during run of play.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

38 minutes ago, Needschat said:

US is best when it's in a 4-3-3, modified to a 4-3-1-2 during run of play.  

I agree about the 4-3-3 needing to be our base, but I think we’re at our best playing a 4-2-3-1 especially now since we finally found our 9. 

This lets Adam’s and McKinnie play the 6 and 8, which is what they’re best at, keep Pulisic and Aaronson as the wingers, play Reyna as the 10 and Pepi at the 9.  Then your back line would be Antonee, Myles, Brooks and Dest. 

This would be a lethal lineup once they get comfortable together. 

• Like 3

I have a few questions about the USMNT “best” lineup after the week that Dest, Brooks and McKennie just had. But generally yes, that bizarre wingback thing for the first half was a Klinsmann-esque attempt at throwing spaghetti against the wall. Thank goodness there was time to fix it. You could see the difference in the players not just playing with intensity, but having no idea what they were supposed to be doing vs. actually looking like a team that’s played together after halftime.

8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

As loud as the vuvuzelas were last night I had to all but mute that game while I watched the second half.  CBS is the worst for soccer, and that comes after Turner Sports owning the Champions League. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I have a few questions about the USMNT “best” lineup after the week that Dest, Brooks and McKennie just had. But generally yes, that bizarre wingback thing for the first half was a Klinsmann-esque attempt at throwing spaghetti against the wall. Thank goodness there was time to fix it. You could see the difference in the players not just playing with intensity, but having no idea what they were supposed to be doing vs. actually looking like a team that’s played together after halftime.

To be fair, Dest was playing out of position. He’s a right back who for some odd reason was forced to play on the opposite side and at left wing back (smdh). Yedlin is a serviceable RB, but Dest is far far better. McKinnie and Brooks are two of the USMNT’s best players. They were definitely in poor form in this last week, but they’re both far too good to keep off the roster. I’d still have faith that they’d both get back to their form come October. 

Hopefully last night proved to Berhalter that when you put your players in their best positions and ask them to do what they’re best at, the team responds.

My biggest criticism with Berhalter is that he’s trying to make the US players fit his system rather than playing a system that best fits them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

To be fair, Dest was playing out of position. He’s a right back who for some odd reason was forced to play on the opposite side and at left wing back (smdh). Yedlin is a serviceable RB, but Dest is far far better. McKinnie and Brooks are two of the USMNT’s best players. They were definitely in poor form in this last week, but they’re both far too good to keep off the roster. I’d still have faith that they’d both get back to their form come October. 

Hopefully last night proved to Berhalter that when you put your players in their best positions and ask them to do what they’re best at, the team responds.

My biggest criticism with Berhalter is that he’s trying to make the US players fit his system rather than playing a system that best fits them. 

With the amount of shuffling required because of injuries and an idiot kid thinking rules don't apply to him, I'm not surprised last night's team ended up being so jumbled up. That back line needs a lot of work regardless of formation and they were not pulling their weight this week. Josh Sargent is horrible up top. These were pretty young lineups dealing with hostile crowds like they haven't seen before, but that shouldn't cause them to play like they have been. Also, Concacaf needs to take on making sure these stadiums are in good shape. That field looked like there was a NFL game played on it the day before, and big clumps of grass kept coming up all night. And now I know why the Grinch lived all the way up on the top of Mount Crumpet after having to listen to all that disgusting noise from the horns all night. It should be interesting to see how Pulisic is doing, injury-wise. I don't think it's enough to keep him out of the October callups, but how much game time will he get at Chelsea between then and now?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm not saying leave those guys out of the roster entirely, just that I'm not taking those starting spots for granted. Dest probably gets RB due to lack of depth but he has not acquitted himself particularly well in Concacaf-ish play, and he and Brooks both looked overmatched to a surprising degree at times, which is worrying. Luckily some of their depth chart competition played equally poorly. 

I was very happy to see Pepi perform very well. Sargent can't cut it there or at right wing and really needs to stay at the far end of the bench, I'm afraid. I think Pulisic/Roldan/Aaronsen/Weah is a pretty encouraging set of wingers to have, and lets Reyna play as a 10 maybe. The question mark for me is whether they'll have useful support from midfield.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 2:09 AM, Rockstar Matt said:

I agree about the 4-3-3 needing to be our base, but I think we’re at our best playing a 4-2-3-1 especially now since we finally found our 9. 

This lets Adam’s and McKinnie play the 6 and 8, which is what they’re best at, keep Pulisic and Aaronson as the wingers, play Reyna as the 10 and Pepi at the 9.  Then your back line would be Antonee, Myles, Brooks and Dest. 

This would be a lethal lineup once they get comfortable together. 

I'd still go with two up front: Pepi and Aaronson work best as a duo.  Young, energetic, can pass, can work with backs to the goal, and still young.  

• Like 1

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

17 hours ago, Needschat said:

I'd still go with two up front: Pepi and Aaronson work best as a duo.  Young, energetic, can pass, can work with backs to the goal, and still young.  

that’s not the Gregggg system!

In seriousness I see what you mean but I think that would require more defensive work from the other wide players, and I think the glut of attacking talent in the USMNT wide player pool right now makes a formation with a forward and two wingers make more sense.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 10:35 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Pepi is our new #9. Without a shadow of a doubt.

I don’t know if this is gonna be the general

chat for World Cup Qualifying, but Pepi is the truth. He further proved again tonight he’s the USMNT’s #9. A brace for Pepi in his second ever game for the US. 

He’s easily the best 9 we’ve had since young Jozy, and he’ll probably end up being far far far better. 

As a side note, Canada is really damn good. Like, surprisingly good. They got a point in Azteca, probably unlucky to not get the 3 points. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

As a side note, Canada is really damn good. Like, surprisingly good. They got a point in Azteca, probably unlucky to not get the 3 points. 

They came out of nowhere, but they seem legit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I don’t know if this is gonna be the general

chat for World Cup Qualifying, but Pepi is the truth. He further proved again tonight he’s the USMNT’s #9. A brace for Pepi in his second ever game for the US. 

He’s easily the best 9 we’ve had since young Jozy, and he’ll probably end up being far far far better. 

And Concacaf apparently waved away the entirety of the stadium ban too. It should have been served yesterday, and previously vs Guatemala. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4431898/concacaf-will-allow-mexico-fans-at-next-match-despite-anti-gay-chant

https://theathletic.com/news/mexico-to-play-with-no-fans-at-home-after-fifa-sanction-for-homophobic-chant/NxBNL3PpvXyA

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png