Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

World Cup 2026 final stadiums will be announced in June. SoFi still in the running though there are complaints it may not meet field requirements. Cincinnati still in the running, has Paul Brown hosted any soccer matches? Cleveland has but they aren't on the list. 

Better include Seattle or we'll make angry comments on the Internet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 3 weeks later...

USA draws Uruguay 0-0 after Uruguay beat Mexico 3-0. Mexico match stopped in the 80th minute because they had to say that one word because the ref didn't give them a penalty that would have likely won them the game vs Ecuador last night. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

USA draws Uruguay 0-0 after Uruguay beat Mexico 3-0. Mexico match stopped in the 80th minute because they had to say that one word because the ref didn't give them a penalty that would have likely won them the game vs Ecuador last night. 

Mexico soccer is an ongoing disaster.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The 10 favorites to host seem to be: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco Bay Area & Seattle with possibly Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati or Nashville being selected as an 11th city in case one of the 3 cities in Canada or Mexico drops out (Rumor it could be Edmonton).

6 hours ago, EskimoAldus said:

The 10 favorites to host seem to be: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco Bay Area & Seattle with possibly Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati or Nashville being selected as an 11th city in case one of the 3 cities in Canada or Mexico drops out (Rumor it could be Edmonton).

I'd be fine with Nashville getting that, if it were at the new stadium instead of Nissan Stadium. Baltimore makes more sense as a stand-in for Washington D.C. but Foxboro is probably considered the better overall location. I think Cincinnati should be the last option only because it would be at Paul brown and not TQL Stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It's Grenada, but it feels like Paul Arriola should be on the World Cup roster. He's been very consistently good this entire year.

• Like 1

Most countries after a World Cup: "so what the hell are we going to do with these stadiums?"

USA after a World Cup: "Okay NFL. you guys can have your stadiums back."

We know what will happen to the stadiums that will host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, but what will happen to the 2022 stadiums after it ends?  Has Russia even used all of the stadiums from 2018?  Or Brazil from 2014?

This stuff fascinates me more than the games (although the games themselves do interest me), what happens to the facilities after events like a World Cup and Olympics are over?  I am moreso fascinated by the fate of these venues in 2022 than I am in 2026.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Most countries after a World Cup: "so what the hell are we going to do with these stadiums?"

USA after a World Cup: "Okay NFL. you guys can have your stadiums back."

We know what will happen to the stadiums that will host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, but what will happen to the 2022 stadiums after it ends?  Has Russia even used all of the stadiums from 2018?  Or Brazil from 2014?

This stuff fascinates me more than the games (although the games themselves do interest me), what happens to the facilities after events like a World Cup and Olympics are over?  I am moreso fascinated by the fate of these venues in 2022 than I am in 2026.

I heard something about one of the 2022 venues being dismantled and rebuilt somewhere (in Africa?) I am sure most of the Brazilian and Russian (and South African) venues are used by club teams. 

I am more fascinated with what happens to Olympic venues after the games. There is the Atlanta Olympic stadium that has been repurposed twice, and then, there are many of the Athens 2004 venues which have been left to rot.

I saw, I came, I left.

4 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I heard something about one of the 2022 venues being dismantled and rebuilt somewhere (in Africa?) I am sure most of the Brazilian and Russian (and South African) venues are used by club teams. 

I am more fascinated with what happens to Olympic venues after the games. There is the Atlanta Olympic stadium that has been repurposed twice, and then, there are many of the Athens 2004 venues which have been left to rot.

Half of the Brazil stadiums aren't in use because there's either not even a big enough team in the area to use it, or it's too expensive to use them. I believe all of the Russian stadiums are still in use. The Qatar stadiums are supposedly built like erector sets so they can take the top half off since they won't need as many seats for their leagues. The seats they send off are supposed to be reassembled in multiple countries. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61804554

Costa Rica beat New Zealand in Qatar and the tournament field is complete.

Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 - final groups
A - Qatar    Ecuador    Senegal    Netherlands
B - England    Iran    USA    Wales
C - Argentina    Saudi Arabia    Mexico    Poland
D - France    Australia    Denmark    Tunisia
E - Spain    Costa Rica    Germany    Japan
F - Belgium    Canada    Morocco    Croatia
G - Brazil    Serbia    Switzerland    Cameroon
H - Portugal    Ghana    Uruguay    South Korea

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

After watching the games in this second to last window before the World Cup, I have a couple of observations:

- Musah is a lock-in starter until he retires, without a doubt. He provides something in the midfield that the US, quite frankly, has never had: a truly special game-breaking midfielder. And he's only 19. Ridiculous. 

- McKennie, Musah and Adams will be our starting midfield against Wales, unless they are injured. 

- Luca Del Torre and Aaronson have played their way onto roster spots. They both should be first options to come off the bench or even start if McKennie and Adams need a rest.

- Ferreria is probably going to start at the 9 for us in the WC because of his ability to link up with the other forwards and to put himself in good positions to score (his finishing needs to be better), but no striker has put themselves clearly in front. Anything can happen between now and November.

- Arriola and Morris are not World Cup quality players. They are barely quality players against the 2nd tier teams in CONCACAF. They shouldn't even be on the roster, let alone see any minutes in the WC.

- The US has a problem of both having too many starting quality players in certain positions and not enough quality in others. 

- Weah should be a starter on the RW, but unfortunately, Reyna is too important to be left off the field and will likely take that spot in November (and subbing Weah off for Paul freaking Arriola should be a federal crime).

-Steffan needs to get a loan to another club to get some consistent playing time, otherwise GK is a massive, massive issue with all of our top options being bench players in England. 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

El Salvador v United States

El Salvador vs United States

El Salvador v United States

I haven't seen soccer played on a field that looked like this since I was in the Army and it was our sports day. Even before the game started it was looking pretty bad, with standing water in the penalty areas. I didn't even bother watching through the first half because I know it was going to be ugly. As badly as the USA played shenanigans with these guys in Minnesota, I'm not surprised to see a situation this bad, field wise. 

11 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

- Weah should be a starter on the RW, but unfortunately, Reyna is too important to be left off the field and will likely take that spot in November (and subbing Weah off for Paul freaking Arriola should be a federal crime).

-Steffan needs to get a loan to another club to get some consistent playing time, otherwise GK is a massive, massive issue with all of our top options being bench players in England. 

Arriola is a good substitute, but I don't think he should ever start a World Cup match. 

All of the keepers in Europe need to be playing somewhere other than their current club when the season starts. Turner may be lucky to be Arsenal's cup tournament keeper, he definitely won't be in Champions League unless the tow in front of him are hurt. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wouldn't be surprised if Steffen and Horvath are on new teams, at least on loan, this fall. I think Turner has an outside shot at getting regular minutes at Arsenal, considering how badly Aaron Ramsdale has caught the yips since 2022 began.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Arriola is a good substitute, but I don't think he should ever start a World Cup match.  

You think so? Interesting. I don't think he provides any value coming off the bench. He's a turnover machine, provides zero attacking threat against good teams, struggles to link up with the overlapping RB's that Berhalter loves to play (also on a side note Cannon was awful last night; the US badly needs Dest to be healthy) and he was nonexistent against a quality team like Uruguay (and every team we play in the group stage is a quality team).

And for me, considering that Weah and Aaronson will be coming off the bench for either Pulisic or Reyna in the World Cup, there's no chance I'm putting Arriola out there on the wing when we have such quality ahead of him. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 minute ago, Rockstar Matt said:

You think so? Interesting. I don't think he provides any value coming off the bench. He's a turnover machine, provides zero attacking threat against good teams, struggles to link up with the overlapping RB's that Berhalter loves to play (also on a side note Cannon was awful last night; the US badly needs Dest to be healthy) and he was nonexistent against a quality team like Uruguay (and every team we play in the group stage is a quality team).

And for me, considering that Weah and Aaronson will be coming off the bench for either Pulisic or Reyna in the World Cup, there's no chance I'm putting Arriola out there on the wing when we have such quality ahead of him. 

There are better players in front of him, but in a tournament with 26 spots on the roster I don't see enough people in front of him. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61750691

Chile's complaint has been thrown out and Ecuador will remain in the World Cup. 

at this point, what were they going to do.  there would have been a lot issues if Ecuador gets thrown out.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, what were they going to do.  there would have been a lot issues if Ecuador gets thrown out.

Might as well let a Country in as FIFA are a bunch of cheats anyway.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

13 hours ago, tigers said:

Might as well let a Country in as FIFA are a bunch of cheats anyway.

Ecuador spent two years trying to make sure he was eligible., Chile should have said something before May. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png