Soundwave721

Best/Worst Jersey sponsor matches?

This is maybe my favorite sponsor match ever. LG made the Fulham kits look better.

fulham--the-quest-for-the-champions-leagFulham%20home%2008-09.jpg

Agreed! That was the best combination for club and sponsor colors. Like it was made to occur!

Paging Mockba. One of the previous incarnations of Minneapolis' soccer teams had target for a sponsor. Imagine forming a wall to defend a free kick with three guys with targets on their chests!

There's a surprising lack of images from that era online.

tarley_large.jpg

Bonus from farther back: Name this US national team player.

Minnesota-sanneh97.jpg

I've always said that if other sports adopted advertisments on their uniforms (NBA, MLB, NFL), I'd be pissed, soccer is the only uniform where I feel it can be done well. Most uniforms would look so bare without it, to be honest. But this is coming from an avid soccer fan and player.

Here's a few that I have always liked:

295d8c5.jpg

I like how they resized it so small to where it doesn't ruin the hoops, yet, it doesn't look misplaced.

19qqhe.jpg

Another great kit with a sponsor that looks well executed on the kit. Doesn't ruin the vertical stripes.

Here's one I absolutely dread. Brisbane Roar...

1zdaxdz.jpg

I've always wished somebody would do a re-model of the A-League. Some absolutely dreadful kits in that league.

Interesting to see you pick out one of our Cash Converter sponsored shirts, Soarindude - the sponsorship hasn't been too popular in these parts.

I'd prefer not to see sponsor's logos on kits, but that said there are a couple of examples where I think the logo does enhance the shirt...

3271501871_c142638bcd_zps8bfe83d2.jpg

I always loved the vertical application of the ABN-AMRO logo on Ajax's home shirts back in the day - a unique treatment that compliments Ajax's distinctive broad stripe really well.

beardsley-001_zps989d9077.jpg

Newcastle Breweries' sponsorship of Newcastle United back in the 1980s and mid-1990s saw the brown ale bottler's blue star logo - complete with Newcastle skyline - adorning the club's shirts. No wording or anything, just the star and I think it's a simple but strong look. The fact that the club and sponsor hail from the same city is another positive.

I always enjoy digging up pics of the Getafe Burger King jersey:

201010312117061346.jpg

I always enjoy digging up pics of the Getafe Burger King jersey:

201010312117061346.jpg

I love that Getafe kit. Wish you could still buy that one.

I also very liked this!

Especially using green lines for Celtic and red ones for the Rangers.

Celtic+v+Rangers+wAH8Sd9ofTWl.jpg

all of this is awful. I hope this never happens to hockey.

jr13557.jpg

I guess I should have specified, NHL hockey.

If you have to play "name the team" as a game, it's gone too far.

It's like when LG plays Volkswagon in soccer. It's simply awful.

I've always wondered why some sponsors just don't recolor their logo a bit to fit with the colors. Especially the Tottenham sponsor. Why not just make the colors white and black instead of red? You'd think Tottenham would at least ask. it's not like AIG needs to really push red as their scheme for whatever business their in.

It's AIA. Which is basically AIG as they present themselves in Europe. AIG did adapt it's logos to match the Manchester United uniforms which looked much better than a blue block on the front would have.

Do NASCAR firesuits count?

2010_20richmond2_20nns_20new_20car_20pra

They are uniforms.

This was created in Toyota's create-a-car contest for fans, where the winner had kittens, puppies, and... Little baby seals. Kyle's car being the winning design was hilarious

I've always felt that the circular BMO logo underneath the Toronto FC crest looks really bad. Like two crests stacked on top of each other.

567017254be23a27bcde.jpg

Not to mention that TORONTO FC is sponsored by the Bank of MONTREAL. If it was the Impact, that would work so much better.

huh? Montreal is sponsored by BMO.

I've always wondered why some sponsors just don't recolor their logo a bit to fit with the colors. Especially the Tottenham sponsor. Why not just make the colors white and black instead of red? You'd think Tottenham would at least ask. it's not like AIG needs to really push red as their scheme for whatever business their in.

Some companies just aren't willing to compromise their brand colours, unfortunately - if their logo spoils the look of a shirt they're not fussed, they just want their brand exposed and if it stands out then they probably see it as getting their money's worth.

A few years back, we did some work on a company's logo who had agreed a sponsorship deal with a team - I won't name the company or team involved for obvious reasons. But we came up with a couple of treatments that were sympathetic to the club colours and they just wouldn't have it - it had to be in their corporate colours, despite our warning that this would actually make it less legible on the front of the shirt. In the end, the club let them have their way and the result was a logo that wasn't the easiest to pick out when it was actually being worn on the pitch.

Funnily enough, the following season they took our advice. :D

I've always thought this was the best melding of team/sponsor:

inter_milan_home_hollowman.jpg

Some companies just aren't willing to compromise their brand colours, unfortunately - if their logo spoils the look of a shirt they're not fussed, they just want their brand exposed and if it stands out then they probably see it as getting their money's worth.

A few years back, we did some work on a company's logo who had agreed a sponsorship deal with a team - I won't name the company or team involved for obvious reasons. But we came up with a couple of treatments that were sympathetic to the club colours and they just wouldn't have it - it had to be in their corporate colours, despite our warning that this would actually make it less legible on the front of the shirt. In the end, the club let them have their way and the result was a logo that wasn't the easiest to pick out when it was actually being worn on the pitch.

Funnily enough, the following season they took our advice. :D

Interesting. This is what I had always assumed. May I ask what occupation you have that deals in this kind of work? Advertising? Graphic Design?

I guess most of the business world could care less how nice the teams uniform looks like we care. :lol:

Interesting. This is what I had always assumed. May I ask what occupation you have that deals in this kind of work? Advertising? Graphic Design?

I'm a graphic designer - the company I work for does all kinds of stuff but it's mainly packaging I work on these days, though.

I've been fortunate enough to work on stuff for a few teams over the years, including a couple of kit launches - obviously when you have an interest in kits and team identities it's interesting to get a view of things from the other side of the curtain. No names mentioned though. ;)