Best/Worst Jersey sponsor matches?

Soundwave721

Interesting to see you pick out one of our Cash Converter sponsored shirts, Soarindude - the sponsorship hasn't been too popular in these parts.

I'd prefer not to see sponsor's logos on kits, but that said there are a couple of examples where I think the logo does enhance the shirt...

3271501871_c142638bcd_zps8bfe83d2.jpg

still would be better without the letters

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see you pick out one of our Cash Converter sponsored shirts, Soarindude - the sponsorship hasn't been too popular in these parts.

I'd prefer not to see sponsor's logos on kits, but that said there are a couple of examples where I think the logo does enhance the shirt...

3271501871_c142638bcd_zps8bfe83d2.jpg

still would be better without the letters

As I say, I'd prefer to see sponsorless shirts - but if they're going to be used I prefer to see some thought go into how the logo works with the design of the kit rather than just slapping an ugly great patch on in a jarring colour.

We're on to page 3 so have probably got past the stage of best and worst, so here is my local team Tranmere Rovers FC.

Tranmere changed shirt sponsor this season to budget/discount stores Home Bargains. This ended a 24 year deal with the local government - the Wirral Borough council. This also meant a change from this to this:

$T2eC16NHJHgFFl)hgTs0BRmfJw51e!~~60_35.J$_35.JPG

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

We're on to page 3 so have probably got past the stage of best and worst, so here is my local team Tranmere Rovers FC.

Tranmere changed shirt sponsor this season to budget/discount stores Home Bargains. This ended a 24 year deal with the local government - the Wirral Borough council. This also meant a change from this to this:

That's a shame. I was always partial to the Wirral sponsorship because it's a variation on a family name. My grandmother's maiden name was Worrell.

...and it looked cleaner.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

How long is the deal with Home Bargins? How are the Rovers doing this season?

3 year deal.

For them not to be relegated into League Two would be a good season for them in my eyes. They are currently hovering just above the relegation places. Despite having one of the league's highest scorers in Ryan Lowe, they just leak goals and have a tiny squad.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

3 year deal.

For them not to be relegated into League Two would be a good season for them in my eyes. They are currently hovering just above the relegation places. Despite having one of the league's highest scorers in Ryan Lowe, they just leak goals and have a tiny squad.

Sure sounds like Liverpool this season, two of the highest scorers in the Premier League but leak goals WAY too much

I just laugh any time I see a girl wearing a soccer jersey with BIMBO sponsored on it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I've always felt that the circular BMO logo underneath the Toronto FC crest looks really bad. Like two crests stacked on top of each other.

567017254be23a27bcde.jpg

Not to mention that TORONTO FC is sponsored by the Bank of MONTREAL. If it was the Impact, that would work so much better.

huh? Montreal is sponsored by BMO.

620x350_3joueurs_v1.jpg

Makes for quite a matchup, even...BMO's logo even kinda matches the Canadian flag on the left sleeve...

bYhYmxh.png

All sponsor logos look bad by definition. And even I as a soccer fan don't buy the assertion that shirts look bare without logos.

This...

Giorgio-Chinaglia-008.jpg

...is better than this...

image.JPG

If the crest is the proper size, then the shirt looks just fine without the ad.

Still, in the era when all club shirts are polluted by ads, the best treatment that I have seen, apart from the Celtic shirt that Soarindude showed upthread, came a few years ago in Manchester City's change kit:

Wigan+Athletic+v+Manchester+City+Premier

By current standards, the ad is small and is relatively unobtrusive.

And it's surprising that someone would cite the DC United shirt as one where the ad looks good. That ad placement fouled up a signature look:

dcu-mlscup2004.jpg

...deformed into...

DC_United_Team_ce32.JPG

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

And it's surprising that someone would cite the DC United shirt as one where the ad looks good. That ad placement fouled up other ad placement

FTFY.

Right; it's true that the three stripes are themselves a symbol of a company. But only DC United had them displayed across the chest like that, as opposed to just on the shoulders and down the sides of the shorts.

In fact, sometimes they didn't have the stripes on the shoulders and down the sides of the shorts:

99%20MLS%20Cup%20pre-game%20team.jpg

The stripes, presented horizontally, really had become part of the team's own visual identity.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I've always felt that the circular BMO logo underneath the Toronto FC crest looks really bad. Like two crests stacked on top of each other.

567017254be23a27bcde.jpg

Agreed. I've always felt it would look better if the wordmark and logo were switched, but I imagine BMO's design guidelines forbid that.

In general though:

wordmark > logo > wordmark and logo

One colour is always preferable, especially if it matches the club's colours.

I just laugh any time I see a girl wearing a soccer jersey with BIMBO sponsored on it.

I laugh and I wonder if that girl who is wearing the BIMBO sponsored shirt is really a bimbo or not :P

463.jpg

I don´t care, i only go after SLUTS

...really? Uh, stay classy?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I laugh and I wonder if that girl who is wearing the BIMBO sponsored shirt is really a bimbo or not :P

There are some BIMBO employees that voluteer for the same organization that I do. I found out it's actually pronounced BEEmbo. Unfortunate spelling.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived