Sports Time Travel: Where Do You Go?

Tigers6884

Imagine you have just invented the time machine (or modified a Delorean, Back To The Future-style). You now have the ability to go to any point in the history sports. You can see how your team will do in the future and warn them in current time before a bad signing, for example. On the other side, you can go back and watch historical events happen right before your eyes! What do you do? I, being a young but die-hard Detroit Tigers fan, would go back in time to see games that Ty Cobb played in, back in the "dead ball" era, or Tigers games in the 1980's, when they had guys like Alan Trammell, Lou Whittaker, and Kirk Gibson. In the case of both, I'd be visiting good ole' Tiger Stadium, a ballpark I wish I could of seen before it was demolished. But enough about me, what about you?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eastern Ontario, early 20th century. I've always looked at pictures of hockey games back then and wondered what it would have been like to watch or play hockey back then with the openness of the game and how it developed into the sport it is now.

Plus I'd get to see the Senators win Stanley Cups

1954 Indiana High School Athletic Association boys' basketball state championship game.

Just curious, why that game?

Eastern Ontario, early 20th century. I've always looked at pictures of hockey games back then and wondered what it would have been like to watch or play hockey back then with the openness of the game and how it developed into the sport it is now.

Plus I'd get to see the Senators win Stanley Cups

Hahaha, well said! It'd also be cool to see the equipment they used back then.

My top two choices.

• 1908 the Merkel game...I'd love to be able to see a dead ball era game.
  • 1960 Maz's game 7 home run

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1925- Stop the Hamilton Tigers from striking and eventually moving to New York.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I'd pop in my TARDIS and grab one of these, return to the present day, and profit...

profit_zpscd376e87.jpg

Bah. Should probably have checked those dates before I bought.

Failing that, I'd see if there was anything I could do to resolve the destructive off-the-field mess currently going on here over this daft rebrand. Once that was all settled I'd celebrate by watching a couple of really early matches of that new fangled association football.

Only downside of all this time travel is that you'd have to buy and wear clothes from that era in order to blend in with the crowd.

I reckon I could pull off the Victorian dandy look quite well!

1954 Indiana High School Athletic Association boys' basketball state championship game.

Tiny Milan beat Muncie Central. This is the game/team that inspired the movie Hoosiers. Tons of parallels of Milan and Hickory but ins some ways, the real story was better than the movie.

The team they beat in Semi-State (which was held at Hinkle Fieldhouse also) was Crispus Attucks with Oscar Robertson at center. The very next year, Crispus Attucks won the state championship to become the first all-black state champions in the country.

Also, Milan hardly came out of nowhere. They had advanced to the Semi-Finals the year before (which was a shock) losing to South Bend Central.

Sometime in the 80's, so I could see the Oilers winning and the Red Wings sucking. A Habs game in the 50's would be amazing, too.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Game 7 1975 World Series - Seeing the Big Red Machine in action would be great and I'd go to see the game that's never shown on TV.

and definitely the 1927 Yankees

and I'd love to witness one of the games from the 1919 World Series knowing what we know now.

Also this might be weird, but I'd go watch myself as a high school hockey player in 2005/2006.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1980-1988 right here on Long Island. As an Islander and Met fan, it's a no brainer. Just have it start at the Lake Placid Olympics and I'll take in the next 8 years of actual sports success. Just remind me to shut off the Syracuse-Indiana national title game with about 10 seconds left ;)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Tiny Milan beat Muncie Central. This is the game/team that inspired the movie Hoosiers. Tons of parallels of Milan and Hickory but ins some ways, the real story was better than the movie.

The team they beat in Semi-State (which was held at Hinkle Fieldhouse also) was Crispus Attucks with Oscar Robertson at center. The very next year, Crispus Attucks won the state championship to become the first all-black state champions in the country.

Also, Milan hardly came out of nowhere. They had advanced to the Semi-Finals the year before (which was a shock) losing to South Bend Central.

Thank you for informing me, I did not know about any of that.

If I had to pick one, and this is coming from a guy that isn't a big hockey fan,

The Miracle on Ice: US Vs Soviet Union. Definitely one of the coolest moments in sports history, and I'd love to have seen that live.

Time traveling to see Bruce Gradcowski beating the Eagles and watching Donovan McNabb on the sideline when Matt Bryant hit that 62 yard field goal again would be cool to see again too. Only being 17, that is probably the best Bucs highlight I had ever seen. The Bucs were a hopeless team going nowhere with good ole Brucey' as our QB. Yet, it was still one of the craziest things I have ever witnessed live. I would love to go back to that moment now and watch it all over again. The look on my dads face when he hit the field goal... priceless!

Matt Bryant.. from 62 yards out... the snap... the hold... the kick... and it is... good!!! good!!! good!!! Bucs beat the Eagles! Matt Bryant, is my hero!

Archived