Longer NFL regular season/playoffs

DCarp1231

There have been a lot of talks about extending the NFL regular season to 18 games. I agree with this movement.

The regular season scheduling for this change would work out as:

Example:

Redskins:

- NFC East x 2 = 6 games

- NFC South = 4 games

- AFC West = 4 games

- NFC North (2 teams) = 2 games

- AFC East (2 teams) = 2 games

- Bye Week

-------------------------------------------------------

18 total games + 1 bye week = total 19 weeks

-OR-

- NFC East x 2 = 6 games

- NFC South = 4 games

- AFC West = 4 games

- NFC North (1) = 1 game

- NFC West (1) = 1 game

- AFC East or North or South (1) = 1 game

- AFC South or East or North (1) = 1 game

- Bye Week

--------------------------------------------------------

18 total games + 1 bye week =total 19 weeks

Also there have been talks about expanded playoffs. In my mind four play in games (Elimination Round/Games ) for playoffs would be efficient enough. Much like the "First four" of the NCAA tournament. This new playoff system would not work with an extended regular season.

Set up:

AFC-

Potential #6 seed -vs- Potential #6 seed ( Winner goes onto play #3 seed )

Potential #5 seed -vs- Potential #5 seed ( Winner goes onto play #4 seed )

NFC-

Potential #6 seed -vs- Potential #6 seed ( Winner goes onto play #3 seed )

Potential #5 seed -vs- Potential #5 seed ( Winner goes onto play #4 seed )

Rounds:

Elimination

Wildcard

Divisional

Conference

Superbowl

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're talking about teams potentially playing twenty-three meaningful games? Eighteen regular, then a post-season play-in followed by the Wild Card, Divisional, Championship rounds and then the Super Bowl?

Madness.

This is what Mark Cuban is talking about when he says things like "they're getting hoggy".

Hypothetically? Sure.

Really? Never. The NFLPA will never let this happen unless the NFL makes some incredible concessions regarding insurance and post-career plans. The NFL is gonna have to earn their money if they want to make it off the blood of their players.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So you're talking about teams potentially playing twenty-three meaningful games? Eighteen regular, then a post-season play-in followed by the Wild Card, Divisional, Championship rounds and then the Super Bowl?

Madness.

This is what Mark Cuban is talking about when he says things like "they're getting hoggy".

I stated that the playoff system would NOT work with an extended regular season so there for the playoffs bring the total to 21 games.

Bump?

Why are you bumping this?
for the same reason other people bump their threads... to get more input.

It's been up for 2 days and hasn't left the first page, this isn't the concepts section, the majority of the people you're targeting have probably seen it and haven't decided to comment.

To actually give an analysis, the cons outweigh the pros, the increased injury risk, more hours and time committed while risking your own health that probably won't result in any salary increase (knowing some of the owners in the league) the NFLPA wouldn't let it happen. Unless we get some new, awesome helmets that prevents concussions, and a lot of advancing in injury treatment and medical technology players wouldn't be happy with adding a potential 3 games to the season.

Plus, Football is over-saturated as it is, every sport needs an offseason, it's good when a sport leaves you wanting more, but football is practically a circus at this point, the draft attention, combine, free agency news, etc. Goddell is tampering with the machine, a few more tweaks, and it'll break down completely.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'm not sure why medical insurance is such a big deal. They can get some great deals from Liberty Medical by calling Wilford Brimley.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm not sure why medical insurance is such a big deal. They can get some great deals from Liberty Medical by calling Wilford Brimley.

That's for diabeetus testing supplies, not full-fledged health insurance.

The point still stands. Emperor Goodell is sitting on a pile of money as big as the Death Star. Don't tell me the league can't find supplemental insurance policies for ex-players.

They could even get "picky" about it, saying that in order to receive full benefits you have to play at least 10 years in the league. If a player only played 5 years, they might get insurance for 10 years after their career.

Believe me, there's enough money, lawyers and actuaries to solve this problem.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Bump?

Why are you bumping this?
for the same reason other people bump their threads... to get more input.
It's actually considered very bad form to bump your own threads, especially several times in a row.

When the conversation runs out of steam, it runs out of steam.

it was twice that I bumped it... I wanted input and as I see it it helped

You can fail your class all by yourself junior.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived