NFL branding vs Riddell conflict?

rtrich11

We've discussed the latest helmets from Riddell and while they are rated higher in safety, their aesthetics have been questioned. We've seen some samples of college football helmets where placement of decals has led to some ugly looks.

The NFL has standards for just about every aspect of a player's uniform, trying to get things as consistent from player to player as possible. The latest Riddell helmets leave little room for a decal and the details/vents/grooves seem to conflict visually with designs.

Knowing how much time, energy, and money the NFL has invested in branding for each team, will they, or can they ever ask Riddell for a safe, but cleaner-looking helmet?

BjgGCwoIMAAUCPn.jpg

BjlZckBCMAADNJi.jpg

I cringe to think of how the Vikings, Buccaneers, or Patriots will look.

Since the NFL/Riddell relationship has ended, the financial amount from the NFL concussion settlement was rejected by the court, and Riddell still having their own class-action suits to deal with, I do not see the NFL going to them for anything.

Since the NFL/Riddell relationship has ended, the financial amount from the NFL concussion settlement was rejected by the court, and Riddell still having their own class-action suits to deal with, I do not see the NFL going to them for anything.

Correct. The nfl wants zero association with helmet manufacturers at this point. I highly doubt you will see the league partner with any helmet manufacturer ever again. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to force the responsibility of managing and certifying protective equipment upon the nflpa for liability reasons. You may even have an environment of bring your own helmet to work (BYOH) or even the outsourcing of equipment rooms to 3rd party companies (football equipment inc.) to protect themselves from liability. It sounds crazy but other industries do this quite a bit already.

If the NFL would ever go to Riddell, I think they would only request a redesigned helmet if the helmets' air holes and other flourishes (h/t Goth) were just mangling the logos and making them completely unidentifiable.

The Vikings' logo was affected by the Revo Speed, but the NFL didn't request a new design because from 20 yards away, it was still clearly the Vikings' horn logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

With these helmets the problem is that equipment guys just arnt placing them on correctly. Overlapping a vent with a decal is a far better solution than placing it so far off center.

If the NFL were really concerned i suppose there could be some guidelines created for all manufacturers. To have that approved im pretty sure it would have to be agreed upon by the players union as well since we're talking about helmets and safety. And im sure the last thing the NFL would want is to look as though tey are choosing helmet decoration over player safety

From the little ive been told about helmet design eveything you see is relevent to how the shell takes an impact, flexes, etc. you have to put function (safety and player comfort) over form (decoration) and i have to give the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt that the helmet is designed to the best of their abilities to make them safe, then recognizable. Not the other way around

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I know when the revo speed first came out the Vikings logo did go over the vent hole and they didn't start cutting them yet

I think the main problem with laying over and not cutting is that the exposed adhesive on the decal ends up being a dirt/crap collector. Not the most sanitary.

With these helmets the problem is that equipment guys just arnt placing them on correctly. Overlapping a vent with a decal is a far better solution than placing it so far off center.

If the NFL were really concerned i suppose there could be some guidelines created for all manufacturers. To have that approved im pretty sure it would have to be agreed upon by the players union as well since we're talking about helmets and safety. And im sure the last thing the NFL would want is to look as though tey are choosing helmet decoration over player safety

From the little ive been told about helmet design eveything you see is relevent to how the shell takes an impact, flexes, etc. you have to put function (safety and player comfort) over form (decoration) and i have to give the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt that the helmet is designed to the best of their abilities to make them safe, then recognizable. Not the other way around

I agree with the thought about how the NFL wouldn't want to look bad, telling people to not wear a helmet or companies how to design them. Regardless, I bet they hate how their brands look, having their thunder stolen.

I bet a lot of the design of the helmets is safety-related, but not all of it. If you compare the other companies' products, most are not as crazy looking as Riddell's, and they have the same safety goals. I bet they are banking on, successfully, that people want a safe product that still looks "dope."

Archived