I've got to admit, Sleep Train Arena is one of the worst names for a basketball arena. But ever since they changed New Orleans' arena name from New Orleans Arena to Smoothie King Center, it takes the cake for worst name change ever. Sure, Smoothie King is based in New Orleans, but the name doesn't sound very sports-like.

That's my two cents. What do you think are the worst names for sporting venues?

ce9eeeba-0d00-481f-b018-06cd06534227_zps

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jobberdome is a close second.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd say most stadiums which had the naming rights purchased by a company, but that company was absorbed by another so the naming rights went there (and in most cases, the local connection was lost), examples being Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park or CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center.

bYhYmxh.png

Salt Lake City's EnergySolutions Arena gets my vote, just for the sheer amount of nicknames it spawned:

"Initial fan reactions to the new name were predominantly negative. Early nicknames for the arena included "the Dump", a jab at EnergySolutions' radioactive and hazardous waste disposal operations. Other suggestions included the Glow Dome, Radium Stadium, the Isotope, ChernoBowl, JazzMat (short for Jazzardous Materials), the Big Bang, the Tox Box, the Power House, the Hot Spot, Plutonium Palace, the Fallout Shelter, the Melta Center, and Energy Pollutions Arena."

Honestly as a Sacramentan, Sleep Train Arena isn't that bad considering it's headquartered in the area and was way better then Power Balance Pavilion, the stupid bracelet company.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'd say most stadiums which had the naming rights purchased by a company, but that company was absorbed by another so the naming rights went there (and in most cases, the local connection was lost), examples being Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park or CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center.

First Union Center wasn't too bad, but only because people would call it just FU.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Cow_Palace_(front).jpg

The idea for the arena was originally conceived as the result of the popularity of the livestock pavilion at the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Newspaper records show that the name "Cow Palace" was used as early as May 1935. One story for how the current name came about tells of a newspaper editorial that wondered aloud "Why, when people are starving, should money be spent on a "palace for cows?" Thus, the Cow Palace was born.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Chesapeake Energy Arena is pretty bad IMO, I was going to say jobing.com too, but that's too obvious I guess.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Canadian Tire Centre sounds like I should go get my tire pressure checked.

KFC Yum! Center is pretty bad too

Yeah, KFC Yum! Center has to be the worst.

Also, O.co Coliseum is pretty ridiculous.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just looked that one up. Man, that's pretty - especially with the fountain out front.

Also like the nickname - "Slim Gym".

Canadian Tire Centre sounds like I should go get my tire pressure checked.

KFC Yum! Center is pretty bad too

Yeah, KFC Yum! Center has to be the worst.

Also, O.co Coliseum is pretty ridiculous.

Everything about O.co Coliseum is rediculous.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived