• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every stadium/arena that has a corporate name. Nothing is sacred in sports anymore. All about the Benjis!

The Great Western Forum was a pretty good corporate name for a sports facility. Not all of them were/are bad.

I agree with the sentiment that corporate names suck.

Great Western Forum sounded OK (and for years, I had no idea that "Great Western" was corporate) but that does not mean it's in great taste.

But I will grant that some sound decent (Heinz Field, Staples Center, etc.) while some just sound awful. Some of my (least) favorites that have not been mentioned:

• Fifth Third Ballpark
  • Mall of America Field...(Defunct!)
  • Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Here, I'd rather they just go all the say and dump the "Mile High" part if they insist on a corporate name. I actually googled this to make sure I was right about the "official" name. I was wrong...I thought it was "Invesco." That's part of my beef with corporate names...no tradition. I don't even know the name of the D-Backs park right now.
  • Tampa Bay Times Forum
  • The NBA's Smoothie King Center and Quicken Loans Arena...I can't explain it; it just makes them sound "cheap".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Uh... why?

Because the name "Insert Corporate Name Here Center" has been done so many times, in so many places, that to continue its propagation is, in my opinion, to perpetuate stupidity and unoriginality.

But then, I grew up rooting for teams that play(ed) in a "Park", a "Civic Center", a "Pavilion", and a "Garden", so I guess I'm used to seeing diversity in my venue names.

EDIT: Forgot one.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Every stadium/arena that has a corporate name. Nothing is sacred in sports anymore. All about the Benjis!

The Great Western Forum was a pretty good corporate name for a sports facility. Not all of them were/are bad.
I never knew it was a corporate name until I was in Los Angeles and saw a Great Western bank.

As a Penguin fan, I really wish another company had gotten naming rights.

Because of its logo, I'm always thinking that Consol Energy is an air conditioning company. Yeah, another Pittsburghesque name should have been used.

Has Target acquired the naming rights for the Vikings' new stadium? Complete the trifecta, Target Center, Target Field and Target Stadium.

You haven't noticed that Target has a little problem with ongoing earnings due to that credit/debit card breach over the winter holidays?

They have long term trust issues and another stadium sponsorship probably is not the best move

Has Target acquired the naming rights for the Vikings' new stadium? Complete the trifecta, Target Center, Target Field and Target Stadium.

You haven't noticed that Target has a little problem with ongoing earnings due to that credit/debit card breach over the winter holidays?

They have long term trust issues and another stadium sponsorship probably is not the best move

So by that logic, CitiBank's acquisition of the naming rights for the new Mets ballpark (occurring in late-2008/early-2009, mind you) went without a hitch.

I remember the first time I saw the "CoreStates" Spectrum on TV. I thought he was some famous politician or something and wondered why his last name was such a weird spelling.

As far as the earlier question about ballparks readopting non-sponsored names:

The Ballpark in Arlington>>>Ameriquest Field>>>Rangers Ballpark>>>Globe Life Park

Joe Robbie Stadium>>>Pro Player Stadium>>>Dolphins Stadium>>>Landshark Stadium>>>Sun Life Stadium (I even left a couple out!)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I remember the first time I saw the "CoreStates" Spectrum on TV. I thought he was some famous politician or something and wondered why his last name was such a weird spelling.

The Ballpark in Arlington>>>Ameriquest Field>>>Rangers Ballpark>>>Globe Life Park

Joe Robbie Stadium>>>Pro Player Stadium>>>Dolphins Stadium>>>Landshark Stadium>>>Sun Life Stadium (I even left a couple out!)

Wasn't it both Dolphin and Dolphins Stadium at separate times? XD

1zgyd8w.jpg

Yes it was. It was also briefly Pro Player Park. You'd think they'd have thought that through a little more.

And Sun Life Financial is leaving the U.S. market so it will get another new name in a year or so:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/12/another-name-change-on-horizon-for-sun-life-stadium.html

If I'm counting right, Sun Life is name number 7. That has got to be a record.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I never knew it was a corporate name until I was in Los Angeles and saw a Great Western bank.

As a Penguin fan, I really wish another company had gotten naming rights.

Because of its logo, I'm always thinking that Consol Energy is an air conditioning company. Yeah, another Pittsburghesque name should have been used.

It probably would have been something like "Highmark Center" or "UPMC Center" or "US Steel Center" or "PPG Arena" instead, so it doesn't get much better. After a while, Consol Energy Center didn't sound so bad. At least compared to American Eagle Arena or Sheetz Arena.

oBIgzrL.png

Yes it was. It was also briefly Pro Player Park. You'd think they'd have thought that through a little more.

And Sun Life Financial is leaving the U.S. market so it will get another new name in a year or so:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/12/another-name-change-on-horizon-for-sun-life-stadium.html

Technically, the TD Garden has had 33 names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD_Garden#Naming

Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia is well on its way to challenging that mark.

It's been officially known as:

Spectrum II, CoreStates Center, First Union Center, Wachovia Center, Wells Fargo Center.

That's 5 names in a much shorter lifespan than the Miami football stadium.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived