• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody's mentioned the Carrier Dome? A HVAC manufacturer with naming rights to a building with no air conditioning.

Also, the company that invented air conditioning that made it more attractive to move away from places like Syracuse and towards Florida, Phoenix, the Carolinas, etc.

Rogers Centre. SkyDome was the perfect name for that facility. If anything, it should be called Rogers SkyDome.

Agreed, but I read somewhere that they didn't do that because people would just keep calling it the SkyDome instead of throwing the Rogers name on it. Still doesn't stop many Jays fans from still calling it SkyDome 9 years later.

Also, is Rogers trying to buy every stadiums naming rights in Canada? They already have Rogers Centre, Rogers Arena (Vancouver) and will have Rogers Place (Edmonton) in a couple of years. It's kind of annoying.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Rogers Centre. SkyDome was the perfect name for that facility. If anything, it should be called Rogers SkyDome.

Agreed, but I read somewhere that they didn't do that because people would just keep calling it the SkyDome instead of throwing the Rogers name on it. Still doesn't stop many Jays fans from still calling it SkyDome 9 years later.

Also, is Rogers trying to buy every stadiums naming rights in Canada? They already have Rogers Centre, Rogers Arena (Vancouver) and will have Rogers Place (Edmonton) in a couple of years. It's kind of annoying.

Makes sense with Rogers taking over the TV rights. I wonder if that will stop Telus or Shaw from stepping in and trying to get their name on the Flames new building, whenever that gets finalized.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Nobody's mentioned the Carrier Dome? A HVAC manufacturer with naming rights to a building with no air conditioning.

Also, the company that invented air conditioning that made it more attractive to move away from places like Syracuse and towards Florida, Phoenix, the Carolinas, etc.

Not only all of the above, but Carrier also bought the lifetime naming rights for something <$5M, plus they closed down all their factories in the area to boot.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I forgot about the TD Garden naming carousel.

More a publicity stunt / charity promotion than anything else.

I consider the building with two official sponsors, and three name changes, although the second-third changes were more a condensation of the name.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I still call it Fleet Center godsdamnit.

Was Fleet Forum ever official?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Makes sense with Rogers taking over the TV rights. I wonder if that will stop Telus or Shaw from stepping in and trying to get their name on the Flames new building, whenever that gets finalized.

I think Rogers Centre should change its name to Rogers Skydome...recognizing some history here.

bYhYmxh.png

The Sabres' arena has already had three names and sort of a fourth in less than 20 years in existence: Crossroads Arena before it opened (not sure if this counts), Marine Midland Arena, HSBC Arena and First Niagara Center. With the way banks get bought up, I wouldn't be surprised to see another change soonish.

An arena in Boston called "Forum"? Never.

That was the plan though, then people complined about it for that reason. I just wasn't sure if the "Forum" was switched for "Center" before or after it had ever become anofficial name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Canadian Tire Centre sounds like I should go get my tire pressure checked.

KFC Yum! Center is pretty bad too

Yeah, KFC Yum! Center has to be the worst.

Also, O.co Coliseum is pretty ridiculous.

Just about every time I see O.co I think to myself "why is a stadium named after an emoticon?" until I realize it is Oakland county.

its actually named after O.co which use to be overstock.com

That actually makes it worse. I guess it let them avoid jokes about the Overstock Coliseum being understocked with fans
Well that and there is no Oakland County in California. Oakland is in Alameda County.

An arena in Boston called "Forum"? Never.

That was the plan though, then people complined about it for that reason. I just wasn't sure if the "Forum" was switched for "Center" before or after it had ever become anofficial name.

No.

The arena we now know as TD Garden was originally going to be the Shawmut Center (the model was on display at the Boston Museum of Science, and that was the signage on the building then). Shawmut got bought by Fleet, so the name transitioned to FleetCenter (one word).

After Fleet Bank was bought by Bank of America, B of A declined to continue the naming rights. That brought about the transitional carousel prior to TD BankNorth buying the rights and restoring the name "Garden". (Most Bostonians then, as now, called the arena the "New Garden".)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Interesting. I could swear when fleet took the name there was a story about them going with Fleet Forum and people being pissed. Can't find anything to back that ip so I guess I'm misremembering.

I know its already been said but O.Co coliseum is pretty ridiculous, especially on madden nfl 12 where it's called oakland-almedea county coliseum.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

Archived