Florida State Unveils New Logo and Uniforms

STL_ArchMadness

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The face has a little too much detail for my taste, but it doesn't ruin the logo for me. What ruins it is the way the hair is all bumpy and ruins the flow of the circle otherwise perfect circle. For the most part, I have been pleased with the majority of NCAA logos and rebrands the last few years, and Im sure doing a Native American themed logo isn't easy to pull off, but the execution here isn't what I was expecting.

The new one looks horrible.........I've read all the comments on the internet, and most people think it looks like a white guy, anything from Christopher Walken to Elvis to a frat boy....he's either in extreme pain, belting out a song, or oddly sexual

many people think the FSU on the feather looks swastika-ish

I'm not sure what the Athletic Dept. at FSU was thinking, but I think this is going to be a huge FAIL

Already, with all of the negative feedback on the internet, I bet this doesn't last more than a year or two, long enough for damage control to kick in and for them to get a new updated version, maybe something like mcrosby came up with....

Here's a thought....make a couple different ones and let the student body vote on it. Don't just show up with a piece of crap and expect everyone to be happy

1. you could say all those things about the old one.

2. people always want to compare things to other things but thats about as far of a reach as i've ever heard.

3. people will get used to it

4. thats possible, but if FSU sticks to their guns point 3 will happen and everything will be fine

5. that solves no problems at all. the logo isnt drawn well, there is no use in putting 3 badly drawn logos up for a vote. this whole project needed more care, time, and skill. all that said, i still say its a lot better than the old. but yea Crosby's mark is better than both. the way to "fix it" is to put it in the hands of someone who is capable of doing it right, not having the student body pick their favorite version

1. True...and the old one does look old....but I still think it looks better than this new one

2. the general consensus of comparisons is negative

3. The student body or alumni shouldn't have to "get used to it"....if they don't like it, they don't like it

4. Well, we will see if this thing gets booed at the spring game....FSU shouldn't try to "stick to their guns", they should be flexible enough and just admit that the made a mistake

5. Creating a vote doesn't solve problems? it solves many problems, mainly the accountabilty of the Athletic Dept. It also gives students an opportunity to participate, and not have to "get used to" anything

most changes take time to sink in and adjust to just because it is a change. Crosby's version isnt perfect either but is much better than either official logo. and even if his were to be the official logo, i guarantee you there would be plenty of people making their snarky, unimaginative, negative comments because i guess people love to compare things to other things. (i mean seriously, whoever made the swastika comparison needs to keep their thoughts to themselves).. and even if they completely nailed this redesign and it was executed perfectly, there would still be people who hate it because its replacing something they love, or at least it has changed a bit. yes, FSU should stick with this. it is an improvement and over time people will adjust to it and forget this ever happened.

if we were to go back to the start of this project and set the goal to improve the technical and aesthetic quality of the logo the way you do it is not to gather a bunch of designs together and put it to a vote to a bunch of people who have no expertise in the matter at all and would just be picking their favorite. thats crowd sourcing and nothing good has ever come from it. the way you accomplish the goal here is to hire the right designer/team with the right skills to do it 1 time and have that be it. no vote or quantity of designs will give you a single quality design.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The new one looks horrible.........I've read all the comments on the internet, and most people think it looks like a white guy, anything from Christopher Walken to Elvis to a frat boy....he's either in extreme pain, belting out a song, or oddly sexual

I'm not sure what the Athletic Dept. at FSU was thinking, but I think this is going to be a huge FAIL

Already, with all of the negative feedback on the internet, I bet this doesn't last more than a year or two, long enough for damage control to kick in and for them to get a new updated version, maybe something like mcrosby came up with....

Here's a thought....make a couple different ones and let the student body vote on it. Don't just show up with a piece of crap and expect everyone to be happy

2. people always want to compare things to other things but thats about as far of a reach as i've ever heard.

4. thats possible, but if FSU sticks to their guns point 3 will happen and everything will be fine

5. that solves no problems at all. the logo isnt drawn well, there is no use in putting 3 badly drawn logos up for a vote. this whole project needed more care, time, and skill. all that said, i still say its a lot better than the old. but yea Crosby's mark is better than both. the way to "fix it" is to put it in the hands of someone who is capable of doing it right, not having the student body pick their favorite version

1. True...and the old one does look old....but I still think it looks better than this new one

3. The student body or alumni shouldn't have to "get used to it"....if they don't like it, they don't like it

4. Well, we will see if this thing gets booed at the spring game....FSU shouldn't try to "stick to their guns", they should be flexible enough and just admit that the made a mistake

5. Creating a vote doesn't solve problems? it solves many problems, mainly the accountabilty of the Athletic Dept. It also gives students an opportunity to participate, and not have to "get used to" anything

most changes take time to sink in and adjust to just because it is a change. Crosby's version isnt perfect either but is much better than either official logo. and even if his were to be the official logo, i guarantee you there would be plenty of people making their snarky, unimaginative, negative comments because i guess people love to compare things to other things. (i mean seriously, whoever made the swastika comparison needs to keep their thoughts to themselves).. and even if they completely nailed this redesign and it was executed perfectly, there would still be people who hate it because its replacing something they love, or at least it has changed a bit. yes, FSU should stick with this. it is an improvement and over time people will adjust to it and forget this ever happened.

if we were to go back to the start of this project and set the goal to improve the technical and aesthetic quality of the logo the way you do it is not to gather a bunch of designs together and put it to a vote to a bunch of people who have no expertise in the matter at all and would just be picking their favorite. thats crowd sourcing and nothing good has ever come from it. the way you accomplish the goal here is to hire the right designer/team with the right skills to do it 1 time and have that be it. no vote or quantity of designs will give you a single quality design.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree lol

Saying everyone is resistant to change is a cop out and ignores if the new product is actually good or not....If I made a logo of a turd with a football helmet on, I suppose I could just say that no one likes it because they can't handle change

Don't overanalyze it, the new logo sucks, plain and simple

Nothing good has come from crowd sourcing? Are you talking in general or design-wise?

Did everyone just get used to the buffaslug and mooterus too? Did we ever get used to new Coke and Crystal Pepsi?

Telling people to "Get used to it" is not really the way things work. The whole concept of marketing is all about pleasing the people, not pleasing the designers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I found this interesting.

April 3, 2014

Message from FSU Athletics

It is very important for you to know that the refinement we are making to our Seminole Head logo has been under development for almost two years and that the Seminole Tribe of Florida along with groups representing our student-athletes, coaches, Boosters and university administration were consulted during the process.

During the research phase of the project, we were stunned by the results of a meeting with current student-athletes held over a year ago. When asked what they considered to be our primary symbol, the group was unanimous in listing the Spear. In contrast, groups representing our coaches, supporters and administrators all listed the Seminole Head. This revelation reinforced a growing concern as we have seen a steady decline in the use of the Seminole Head logo on uniforms and fan apparel over the years.

The issue was that our Seminole Head, while as recognizable and iconic as any in all of sports, does not reproduce well in a number of mediums. It is particularly difficult to embroider and impossible to accurately represent on some materials including at midfield at Doak Campbell Stadium. We believe this image is the best in all of sports and that the result of our efforts will maximize the symbol on a national level.

The refined logo will allow us to use it more prominently across all platforms including our uniforms, sideline apparel and graphics.

We tasked Nike for help in refining the logo so that consistency can be achieved without diminishing the identity of the iconic image. We arrived at a design that can take FSU Athletics into the future.

On Friday, April 11, we will formally unveil Ignition...Tradition with a symbol that has renewed spark and energy.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I found this interesting.
April 3, 2014
Message from FSU Athletics
It is very important for you to know that the refinement we are making to our Seminole Head logo has been under development for almost two years and that the Seminole Tribe of Florida along with groups representing our student-athletes, coaches, Boosters and university administration were consulted during the process.
During the research phase of the project, we were stunned by the results of a meeting with current student-athletes held over a year ago. When asked what they considered to be our primary symbol, the group was unanimous in listing the Spear. In contrast, groups representing our coaches, supporters and administrators all listed the Seminole Head. This revelation reinforced a growing concern as we have seen a steady decline in the use of the Seminole Head logo on uniforms and fan apparel over the years.
The issue was that our Seminole Head, while as recognizable and iconic as any in all of sports, does not reproduce well in a number of mediums. It is particularly difficult to embroider and impossible to accurately represent on some materials including at midfield at Doak Campbell Stadium. We believe this image is the best in all of sports and that the result of our efforts will maximize the symbol on a national level.
The refined logo will allow us to use it more prominently across all platforms including our uniforms, sideline apparel and graphics.
We tasked Nike for help in refining the logo so that consistency can be achieved without diminishing the identity of the iconic image. We arrived at a design that can take FSU Athletics into the future.
On Friday, April 11, we will formally unveil Ignition...Tradition with a symbol that has renewed spark and energy.

That leaked logo is 100% the new logo.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Nothing good has come from crowd sourcing? Are you talking in general or design-wise?

Did everyone just get used to the buffaslug and mooterus too? Did we ever get used to new Coke and Crystal Pepsi?

Telling people to "Get used to it" is not really the way things work. The whole concept of marketing is all about pleasing the people, not pleasing the designers.

design. i dont know how it works in other areas.

those examples are of things that were off target from the beginning; bad ideas. they had no chance to succeed. it totally is about an audience settling into something over time. like i said it wouldnt matter if this thing were executed perfectly, theres always going to resistance to change and only over time is it accepted.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Also posted in the College Football Uniform thread:

Hold onto your seats, Seminoles:

Among those yet-to-be-seen changes, per Elliott:

• Incoporation of the Seminole Tribe imagery on the shoulder pads
  • The spears on the helmets “now cross in the back of the helmet and are more Nike-ized”
  • A new matte garnet helmet with “color-change paint” and a gold face mask (one that Elliott believes is an alternate lid)
  • A standard gold helmet featuring a gold face mask (Elliott says there is speculation that this will be the new official helmet)

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/florida-state-football-getting-new-uniforms-helmets

design. i dont know how it works in other areas.

those examples are of things that were off target from the beginning; bad ideas. they had no chance to succeed. it totally is about an audience settling into something over time. like i said it wouldnt matter if this thing were executed perfectly, theres always going to resistance to change and only over time is it accepted.

Fair points.

Also posted in the College Football Uniform thread:

Hold onto your seats, Seminoles:

Among those yet-to-be-seen changes, per Elliott:

• Incoporation of the Seminole Tribe imagery on the shoulder pads
  • The spears on the helmets “now cross in the back of the helmet and are more Nike-ized”
  • A new matte garnet helmet with “color-change paint” and a gold face mask (one that Elliott believes is an alternate lid)
  • A standard gold helmet featuring a gold face mask (Elliott says there is speculation that this will be the new official helmet)

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/florida-state-football-getting-new-uniforms-helmets

The gold mask on the gold helmet is going to be a downgrade. Florida State's helmet is one of the best and stands the test of time. The garnet mask is as good as it can get.

The weird thing is Jimbo has been ultra-minimal in the team's uniforms up until this point. Despite dozens of combinations being the "in-thing", he's stuck with the one helmet, one home jersey, one away jersey, and one set of pants since he was named head coach.

The Noles have proven they don't need combinations of uniforms for recruits.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A change, whether drastic or minimal, is rare after a championship season. They obviously don't need to make the change so why do it? With that being said, I like the updated logo. I will, however, miss the old one.

A change, whether drastic or minimal, is rare after a championship season. They obviously don't need to make the change so why do it? With that being said, I like the updated logo. I will, however, miss the old one.

This change was going to happen regardless of the championship, new facilities, new logo is better for merch,

The cheek lines are horribly done. Looks like he's sneezing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Winston said it,it's official,this "leaked" FSU logo is the new logo.

The thing I like about sports is the logos. But there is a question that still remains.

Is it a alternate? But I,and everyone thinks that this is a primary.

"So look at yourself. Are you somebody to see good in your world or somebody to oppose the other person or party?"

Archived