Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

The USFA is doomed, I'm guessing it will cease to exist by 1993 (But Louisville, OKC, and Carolina will have set themselves up as favorites to land the 90s expansion teams)

I knew the USFA wouldn't last. Though i do wonder if Disney (Owners of the California Atoms) would try to get a team in the AFA? Preferably getting the Atoms into the more establish league. Doubtful as California had three teams already.

I personally see Carolina and Louisville getting teams during the 1990s expansion. OKC probably would get one later on in the 2000s.

With the USFA dying, any thoughts on a delevopmemt league for the AFA? Or maybe another another rival league to challenge them during the 2000s and 2010s? Just curious.

41 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

I knew the USFA wouldn't last. Though i do wonder if Disney (Owners of the California Atoms) would try to get a team in the AFA? Preferably getting the Atoms into the more establish league. Doubtful as California had three teams already.

That or Disney buys the Comets and moves them to Anaheim. 

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

That would work. Anaheim Comets or the Atoms?

Hey look, the Destroyers are actually trying to change for once! I'm sure the new coach will underwhelm us all and the steamship to mediocrity will continue on.

Maybe we'll get Manny to Rowe the boat next year (I deeply apologize for that awful pun.)

Also, anyone else want to bet the Rebels book it to Cobb County?

1 hour ago, Matthew24 said:

That would work. Anaheim Comets or the Atoms?

My best guess would be to keep the Los Angeles name or call themselves the Anaheim Comets. California Comets has a nice sort of alliteration but the Whales took it. 

4 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Welcome back!  I LOVE checking out EVERY part of this league's evolution...ESPECIALLY the Atlanta Rebels drama (Love how Tommy Danson is the team owner most adamant about them changing)

One thing though...in our universe, Conoco & Phillips didn't merge until 2002, so wouldn't it just be called "Conoco Stadium" until then?

Good catch on the anachronism.  I'll fix that right away.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

So a football team in Kansas City is stacked on defense in the 90s. Said defense is led by a linebacker who strikes terror into offenses. Hopefully there is a championship this time. Although, I get more Lawrence Taylor vibes from Doom than Derrick Thomas.

He's not the only one - that linebacker corps is a force to be reckoned with.  OLBs Minden Lincoln and Rick Ortega are sack machines, and Doom will be an excellent fit in the KC zone blitz scheme.  LT is probably a fairly good real-life analogue for Doom's personality, but as far as play style goes, he more closely resembles Brian Urlacher - he's arguably the best coverage linebacker ever to play the game.

3 hours ago, TargetToad said:

So glad this got updated again.

Toad's thoughts:

1. I cant believe I'm saying this, but go Miners. Let Krause end his career on a high note, unlike George Halas, Don Shula, and Chuck Noll.

2. Atlanta should change their name (if they have to) "Rebellion" And go for a full star wars theming.  Or just move to Richmond. 

3. Watch New York fall off a cliff like the 2000 Skins or 2011 Eagles, or 1990 Vikings did.

4. In 1992 (once the cap starts), the Northeastern division will become more pathetic than the AFA Western division or the PHL South division.

5. The USFA is doomed, I'm guessing it will cease to exist by 1993 (But Louisville, OKC, and Carolina will have set themselves up as favorites to land the 90s expansion teams)

6. The Northern Division just got a whole lot more cut-throat with Chicago now on the path to competence.

7. Lastly, The Crows are coping the Wolves path to success and will get WORSE, not better, because of it.

Also, I vote for the Sun on the left (yellow and blue one like Miami) to represent Victory Bowl 45 (besides, it's not like the Suns are getting to the Victory Bowl anyways with how bad they have over the last 10 years).

I can confirm that at least one prediction here is correct, at least in the short term.

Atlanta won't be going Star Wars, though.  The San Diego Destroyers are already linked to Lucas Arts through their ownership team.  Also, to be clear, I didn't say that the USFA was collapsing, just that some of the teams are in trouble.  There is a serious lack of parity in the league, and some markets are doing well while others are struggling.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

That would certainly solve the problem, but the Jarvis family has owned the Comets for a long time and it is difficult to imagine them selling at this point.

7 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Hey look, the Destroyers are actually trying to change for once! I'm sure the new coach will underwhelm us all and the steamship to mediocrity will continue on.

Maybe we'll get Manny to Rowe the boat next year (I deeply apologize for that awful pun.)

Also, anyone else want to bet the Rebels book it to Cobb County?

A+ pun, well done.

2 hours ago, Veras said:

Also, to be clear, I didn't say that the USFA was collapsing, just that some of the teams are in trouble.  There is a serious lack of parity in the league, and some markets are doing well while others are struggling.

There's also an economic recession coming after the 1990 USFA season, and I can see that being a major problem for the Atoms (in a market fairly hard hit) and potentially other teams.

It’s been almost a year since I did my research on that downturn, but I believe that the Northeast was hit particularly hard as well, which could be bad news for Brooklyn.

24 minutes ago, Veras said:

It’s been almost a year since I did my research on that downturn, but I believe that the Northeast was hit particularly hard as well, which could be bad news for Brooklyn.

Yeah, that was a problem. Too bad I couldn't remember all the USFA teams...

Exciting turn of events! My Imperials worry me. I am glad that ownership is all in on winning now, but this seems like a gamble. I know our star QB only has maybe 2 seasons left, and I would love him to get a ring. After he is gone, they could be in QB hell until they find their new franchise QB.

2 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Mighty comets of Anaheim

The 1991 Mighty Los Angeles Comets of Anaheim (of Los Angeles) NEED to be the first Purple & Teal team of the AFA

5 hours ago, Ipapterotes said:

Please let this be the year the Imperials break their 40 year drought.  

Ditto

On 10/25/2018 at 8:24 AM, Veras said:

Hey, I've reappeared.  I've been working on rewriting the playoffs, and was getting ready to start posting the story again when I realized that I never showed the 1990 USFA uniform update.  Remember how the USFA is supposed to be crazy-90s and over the top?  I give you the Indiana Warriors.

Old uniform - basically, they didn't want to wear black anymore in the spring/summer league.

1988_indiana_warriors_uniform_by_verasth

New Uniform

1990_indiana_warriors_uniform_by_verasth

Tackle the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

Can I start a petition to have Pittsburgh re-name their stadium after Krause?

2 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I'll sign it...

3 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

7lWjDiH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

21 hours ago, TargetToad said:

The 1991 Mighty Los Angeles Comets of Anaheim (of Los Angeles) NEED to be the first Purple & Teal team of the AFA

I want to see that. The Mighty Comets of Anaheim need to be Purple and Teal. It would be different then what the AFA was doing at the time. Also there needs to be a mascot for the team. Why? Because the Mighty Ducks had one so why not.

1990 USFA Season

The Louisville Brawlers entered the year as heavy favorites.  They started strong, opening the season 3-0, including a win on the road against the defending champion Tennessee Commandos.  However, their year was derailed when star QB Manny Rowe went down with an elbow injury and missed 8 weeks.  The team went 3-5 in his absence, and barely managed to scrape by with a 9-7 record, causing them to miss the postseason for the first time.  Into the power vacuum stepped the Commandos, who won out after starting 1-1, cruising to the top seed with a 15-1 record.  Utilizing a team-first style of play, the team dominated their opposition with a fast, aggressive playstyle on defense, and mistake-free football on offense.

The league’s other consistent power, the Oklahoma City Reapers also struggled, clawing their way to a 9-7 record and losing the Western Division for the first time, as the Utah Pioneers came out of nowhere to go 11-5 after winning a total of just 10 games in their first two seasons combined.  Their leap was largely the result of an improvement in play by QB Kyle Nelson, who had a breakout year and joined Rowe and Carolina’s Lucien Desjardins on the list of the USFA’s elite passers.

The Eastern Division was the most hotly-contested, with the Indiana Warriors and Carolina Cyborgs vying for first place.  As the season wound down, it was clear that both teams would make the postseason, but the team that took home the division title would have a shot at a home playoff game, whereas the consolation prize was a trip to Memphis to face the Commandos.  The race would come down to the final week of the season.  Both teams came in at 10-5, but the Cyborgs held the tiebreaker.  Indiana did their part, as Russell Montague, Jr. threw 4 touchdowns in a 38-3 trouncing of the Buffalo Wings, but it wouldn’t matter.  The Cyborgs took care of business in their finale against the Brooklyn Privateers, and came out on top.

The Warriors didn’t go down without a fight the following weekend at Tennessee.  Indy MLB Michael Rollins had a career day, recording 17 tackles, 2 sacks, an interception, and a forced fumble as the Warriors held the Tennessee offense to just 10 points well into the final quarter.  With just 3 minutes to play, the Warriors held a 14-10 lead when Montague inexplicably audibled to a pass on 2nd and 2.  Tennessee LB Carl Britt picked it off and took it to the house, allowing the Commandos to slip into the Ultimate Bowl with a 17-14 win.

The other semifinal matchup was even more exciting as the Cyborgs and Pioneers got into a shootout in which there were 10 lead changes.  Carolina took a 3-0 lead on the opening drive, but Utah answered immediately with a touchdown to go up 7-3.  The Cyborgs found the end zone 4 times throughout the evening (with Desjardins throwing for three and running for one), but each time the Pioneers answered with a TD on their own.  The most dramatic of which came on 3th and goal with 22 seconds remaining.  After failing to punch in the ball into the end zone from the 1 twice, the Pioneers sent a pair of defensive tackles into the backfield.  312-pound Steve Reed lined up behind 341-pound Jim Lewis.  Lewis blasted a hole in the defense, and Reed rumbled through it to send the Pioneers to the Ultimate Bowl.

Ultimate Bowl III was also hotly contested (which matched the weather – the heat index at kickoff in Orlando was nearly 100 degrees).  Tennessee got on the board first with a Todd Liberty touchdown pass, but Kyle Nelson answered by throwing two of his own to put the Pioneers in front in the final minute of the first quarter.  The Commandos nearly answered, driving as far as just a few inches from the Utah goal line, but Liberty failed to properly secure the ball when he attempted to sneak it in, and RE Jamal Scott ripped it from his grasp.  With their backs to the end zone, the Pioneers used three downs trying to gain enough room to punt, and the Commandos would take advantage of the favorable field position by putting up a field goal just before the two minute warning, but as halftime came, the underdog Pioneers lead 14-10.

A fumble recovery in Utah territory early in the third gave Tennessee an excellent chance to put themselves back in front, but the offense actually lost yards, and the 53 yard field goal attempt was blocked by CB Emerson Freeman.  The Commando defense then bent but didn’t break, forcing a punt, which PR George Macy caught on a bounce and took it 92 yards into the end zone, giving the Commandos a 17-14 lead.  However, the Pioneers struck back in the final minute of the quarter, when their speedy star wideout Marvin Simms, got behind the defense for an 83 yard touchdown.

Liberty quickly led the Commandos back down the field and reclaimed a 24-21 lead with a 9-yard touchdown pass, but the Pioneers tied it at 24 with a 55 yard field goal on their ensuing possession.  The tie would hold until, with just over a minute to play, Utah found themselves deep in Commando territory.  Once again, they had struggled to pound the ball into the end zone, and so, on third down, Nelson faked a handoff, and then hit Simms on a fade in the corner.  The officials conferred, and then ruled the play a touchdown, putting Utah up 31-24 with 1:09 to play.

As the seconds ticked down, the odds turned more and more against the Commandos.  Finally, with 17 seconds to play, Liberty took a shot downfield and was picked off by FS Jim Pine.  The Pioneers had entered the 1990s on the heels of two miserable seasons and on the verge of economic disaster, but now they hold the Ultimate Cup, and the future of football in the Beehive State seems secure.