Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

@ItsSlothy

It turns out that making a Comets sig is kind of odd, given that their look has changed so much over time.  This banner covers three eras:  the player is Lawrence Rhodes, the QB who led the team to the Victory Bowl in 1952 (and the first Black QB in AFA history).  The logo and colors are from the current look.  The stripe pattern in the backround is from the Jack Holmes era "thermometer" logo.

Link:  https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/0488128e-c26c-4d73-8a92-4c56e1c7d4df/dcxim1s-69b552a3-5bf9-4797-9d82-6c61071db3a4.jpg

dcxim1s-69b552a3-5bf9-4797-9d82-6c61071d

And here is the updated championship banner sig

Link:  https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/0488128e-c26c-4d73-8a92-4c56e1c7d4df/d9q2txa-f2f79982-55d6-4db0-9ea7-23370ee96766.png

d9q2txa-f2f79982-55d6-4db0-9ea7-23370ee9

Nice job on the LA Comets sig. You working on the California Atoms one next?

Thanks, man!

The Texas Stallions were the first team to change their look in 1991, and they went with a complete overhaul.

Old Logos:

1967_texas_stallions_visual_identity_by_

New Logos:

1991_texas_stallions_by_verasthebrujah_d

Owner Gus Dietrich described the original logo as "delicate" and "slightly effeminate," saying that it hadn't aged well and that he wanted something heavier and bolder for the 1990s.  Thus, very little was carried over from the team's original logos, which had remained unchanged for as long as they had been in existence.  The team will still wear red and gold, but the former  is brighter and the latter is much darker.  They've also thrown a bit of black into their identity, because... black.  The primary is a horse's head in profile, which is meant to look stronger and more dignified than the original.  The secondary is a horseshoe, because if the primary already looks too much like the Denver Broncos, why shouldn't the secondary look too much like the Indianapolis Colts? because it's a bold, heavy object, which fits the theme that Dietrich wants.  The new wordmark goes for a western theme, and makes use of red, black, and gold to appear stronger.

Old Uniforms:

1985_texas_stallions_by_verasthebrujah_d

New Uniforms:

1991_texas_stallions_uniform_by_verasthe

The logo doesn't show up as well on a red background as it does on gold, so the team abandoned their red helmets for the first time.  They kept their traditional striping pattern, though it moved to the end of the sleeve, as they adopted a new, lighter jersey cut.

Wow, the Stallions' new look is incredible! Especially the more fitting Wordmark! No complaints there, and I can't wait to see what other teams have updated looks! And while I am late to the party in terms of bringing this up, it sucks to see the USFA fold, as I thought it was interesting, but I understand that nixing it to lighten your workload was necessary. I'll be looking forward for the 1991 offseason and any other potential new logos and uniforms!

That use of black is far more reserved than I thought it would be (then again, Arizona is in the same division,so a 2nd bfbs team would be a little bit crazy. Also...

7 hours ago, Veras said:

because if the primary already looks too much like the Denver Broncos, why shouldn't the secondary look too much like the Indianapolis Colts

lol

Sad to see those classic Texas uniforms go. Don’t really care for the new look but it fits its time. Can’t wait to see the update.

9 hours ago, Veras said:

Yes The Texas Stallions were the first team to change their look in 1991, and they went with a complete overhaul.

Old Logos:

1967_texas_stallions_visual_identity_by_

New Logos:

1991_texas_stallions_by_verasthebrujah_d

Owner Gus Dietrich described the original logo as "delicate" and "slightly effeminate," saying that it hadn't aged well and that he wanted something heavier and bolder for the 1990s.  Thus, very little was carried over from the team's original logos, which had remained unchanged for as long as they had been in existence.  The team will still wear red and gold, but the former  is brighter and the latter is much darker.  They've also thrown a bit of black into their identity, because... black.  The primary is a horse's head in profile, which is meant to look stronger and more dignified than the original.  The secondary is a horseshoe, because if the primary already looks too much like the Denver Broncos, why shouldn't the secondary look too much like the Indianapolis Colts? because it's a bold, heavy object, which fits the theme that Dietrich wants.  The new wordmark goes for a western theme, and makes use of red, black, and gold to appear stronger.

Old Uniforms:

1985_texas_stallions_by_verasthebrujah_d

New Uniforms:

1991_texas_stallions_uniform_by_verasthe

The logo doesn't show up as well on a red background as it does on gold, so the team abandoned their red helmets for the first time.  They kept their traditional striping pattern, though it moved to the end of the sleeve, as they adopted a new, lighter jersey cut.

I personally don’t mind the similarities to the Broncos and Colts logos, as long as they are different enough, and the drastic color difference between the Broncos and Colts helps. Overall I like the refresh. Even though the old logos weren’t bad, sometimes it’s just nice to see a different view. Any other teams up for a redesign soon? (It’s been like 10 years since the Comets got a redesign I think so it should be time for one again based on prior history.)

Hey Veras, give me a quick run through of the name origins of every team in the AFA. Names like Suns and Grizzlies are easy to understand, But what about the ones like ghosts and angels?

5 hours ago, JG36 said:

I personally don’t mind the similarities to the Broncos and Colts logos, as long as they are different enough, and the drastic color difference between the Broncos and Colts helps. Overall I like the refresh. Even though the old logos weren’t bad, sometimes it’s just nice to see a different view. Any other teams up for a redesign soon? (It’s been like 10 years since the Comets got a redesign I think so it should be time for one again based on prior history.)

I'd wait a little bit for the cosmos new logo, just so the sig doesn't become immediately outdated.

19 minutes ago, ItsSlothy said:

Hey Veras, give me a quick run through of the name origins of every team in the AFA. Names like Suns and Grizzlies are easy to understand, But what about the ones like ghosts and angels?

The Angels orginally played in Providence (heres a link to how Providence got its name: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_did_providence_get_its_name)

As for Cleveland, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

I get the sense that this look will shift to very black-heavy come the mid-90s...

I hear ya.

Plus, some of the other AFA teams might dabble into purple and/or teal around this same time.

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

The Angels orginally played in Providence (heres a link to how Providence got its name: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_did_providence_get_its_name)

I think Cleveland got their name from them being close to Lake Erie. Erie is spooky like a ghost. I think that’s how he got the name for it.

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

In reality, it was inspired by the Morgan Freeman movie Lean On Me. The school mascot is a ghost, and their colors are orange and purple which I love. The reason that they’re in Cleveland (and the justification for why a team that has been around since the 1910s would have that name) is basically just word association: Cleveland is on Lake Erie. Erie = eerie = spooky = ghost. @Raptorman415 just ninjaed me, but I’m not erasing it.

Some other possibly obscure names:

Chicago Butchers comes from a Carl Sandburg poem which calls the city the “hog butcher to the world.”

The Detroit Gladiators were founded by a Classical History professor from Michigan.

Cincinnati is the Queen City. Queens were protected by knights. The knights are the Guardins if Cincinnati.

The Portland Dragons needed a name that was fiercer than Grizzlies. So they went over the top.

The in-universe justification for LA Comets is that the team was founded around the time of a major comet sighting (I’d have to check my notes to see which one, and I’m typing this on my phone because I can’t sleep). The real reason is that it was the team that I always used in Madden Create-A-Team back when that feature had some actual flexibility.

Boston got their name after their owner, a Navy Captain, was killed in WWII.

And my name is Wolf, so the Milwaukee Wolves are kind of like my signature on the project.

Outside of the 12 founding teams, a substantial majority of the names came by reader suggestion. @DNAsports suggested Krewe for New Orleans, for example. Centennials, which is one of the best names in the league in my opinion, though I don’t remember who came up with it. I was going to call them the Mammoths, but Cents is way better.

I actually LOVE the Stallions' new look...I imagine it's this universe's equivalent of the Patriots rebrand from "Patriot Pat" to the "Flying Elvis"?

I nominated the Crows for Kansas City.

RIP old Stallions look. It will be missed. A downgrade, but very realistic for the 90s, so I guess it’s really good.

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

RIP old Stallions look. It will be missed. A downgrade, but very realistic for the 90s, so I guess it’s really good.

My thoughts exactly, (but at least it ain't BFBS like Arizona). Still good though. Also, if you replace the red with black in the horse logo, and you get Western Michigan