Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

5 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

My thoughts exactly, (but at least it ain't BFBS like Arizona). Still good though. Also, if you replace the red with black in the horse logo, and you get Western Michigan

I would actually say this is BFBS, just held back. Don’t be surprised to slowly have this turn into red and black or gold n black

Huh, so you took inspiration from the 49ers Uniforms (and some of the Birmingham Stallions) as well as the Colts/Broncos logo? Looks neat.

The new Texas look is awesome! Compared to the old set, it looks like they woke up out of a dark and gloomy haze. The uniforms also remind me of the 90's 49ers. Nice work!

Hoping that Danson doesn't rebrand the Wolves. Would like for at least one team (Wolves, obviously) to keep their look until 1998.

16 hours ago, Ipapterotes said:

Hoping that Danson doesn't rebrand the Wolves. Would like for at least one team (Wolves, obviously) to keep their look until 1998.

Please keep the Wolves the same until 2018, not 1998 (especially with that green hill checkerboard)

8 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Please keep the Wolves the same until 2018, not 1998 (especially with that green hill checkerboard)

But I would love to see an early 2000s 3D version of the Wolves logo. 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I don’t know how I just now started following this series. Great work overall! Do you have a Butchers sig by any chance?

I'll have some more uniform updates tomorrow.  I've been delaying because I don't have a Victory Bowl logo yet, but I think that and the fields might have to be another thing that goes away.  That would be unfortunate, as I've been looking forward to the VB logos from the 1990s and 2000s, but I just don't have the kind of time that I used to.  Either way, the offseason should be coming up soon, probably this weekend.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, JG36 said:

I personally don’t mind the similarities to the Broncos and Colts logos, as long as they are different enough, and the drastic color difference between the Broncos and Colts helps. Overall I like the refresh. Even though the old logos weren’t bad, sometimes it’s just nice to see a different view. Any other teams up for a redesign soon? (It’s been like 10 years since the Comets got a redesign I think so it should be time for one again based on prior history.)

Other teams that I'm sure will undergo significant changes within the next five years include the Comets (obviously) and Grizzlies.  The Ghosts will probably change things up in the late 1990s, especially if they undergo lean times by then.  Then, of course, there is the situation in Atlanta, which is uncertain.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, MBurmy said:

I actually LOVE the Stallions' new look...I imagine it's this universe's equivalent of the Patriots rebrand from "Patriot Pat" to the "Flying Elvis"?

I didn't really think of it that way.  I saw it more as 1990s 49ers kind of thing, as @Red Comet and @officerpain138 said (though any resemblance to the Birmingham Stallions is purely unintentional and/or subconscious).

On 1/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, Ipapterotes said:

On 1/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, TargetToad said:

On 1/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, Ipapterotes said:

But I would love to see an early 2000s 3D version of the Wolves logo. 

If the Wolves were going to undergo significant changes, it would have happened already.  The brown and gold color scheme was only supposed to last a year or two, and be looked back on with horror, just like the Broncos brown and gold in real life.  However, the look was so popular that I didn't change it.  I even did a redesign in red and gold at one point, but I shared it with a Wolves fan, and they were unenthusiastic.

The only change that I would imagine might be adding some texture to the logo, kind of like the Lions have.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, Jbadger9 said:

I don’t know how I just now started following this series. Great work overall! Do you have a Butchers sig by any chance?

Welcome aboard!

I don't have a good Chicago sig, but I'll add it to my to do list for next offseason.

I would actually call the new stallions look the “Left Rider”. Also, why would the comets want to rebrand? Their current look is fine.

1. Please don't change the Wolves.

2. As long as someone does the over the shoulder logon like the 90s Patriots did, I'm cool. That was honestly my favorite loo of the 90s

3. For Atlanta, my solution would be to send private/direct messages (if that exists on this board) to anyone who comments in this thread often asking them for ideas on how to solve Atlanta, give them until the 93 offseason (when the IRL Falcons got the Georgia Dome) to respond, and then pick your favorite/most often recurring idea.

1 hour ago, ItsSlothy said:

I would actually call the new stallions look the “Left Rider”. Also, why would the comets want to rebrand? Their current look is fine.

The Comets have changed their colors and logos every decade.  They're always at the cutting edge of league trends, for better or for worse.  There have been suggestions that they should go eggplant and teal in the thread, though they're also a strong BFBS candidate, because, well, comets... space...

Part of what has made it easy to do is the fact that, other than their first year in the league, they've never really won anything.  They haven't even been back to the Victory Bowl, and the upcoming season will be their 40th.

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

1. Please don't change the Wolves.

2. As long as someone does the over the shoulder logon like the 90s Patriots did, I'm cool. That was honestly my favorite loo of the 90s

3. For Atlanta, my solution would be to send private/direct messages (if that exists on this board) to anyone who comments in this thread often asking them for ideas on how to solve Atlanta, give them until the 93 offseason (when the IRL Falcons got the Georgia Dome) to respond, and then pick your favorite/most often recurring idea.

1. Again, it's pretty unlikely.  Any change would be a tweak.  Nothing more dramatic than improving the wordmark.

2. The Comets basically did that with their 1972-1982 uniforms.  Actually, I've been considering using some of the odd features from the 90s Patriots on the Comets during their next redesign, so it may be coming back.

3. Oh, I've known how the Atlanta story will end since the name was first chosen.  Actually, of all the suggestions that have been made since the Rebels were introduced, one person got it almost exactly right, down to some fairly minor details.

As awesome as it is to see the Victory Bowl logos and stuff. We understand that this isn’t the most important thing and your life and I know most will support whatever you do in this.

Excited to see where the Comets could go in the 90s. Would be interesting for the Ghosts to go for a “horror” aesthetic and add black or red or even orange. Especially if they do go through a rough time. Purple and red is such and underused color combination imo and could work very well for the ghosts. 

I vote for the Comets to go eggplant and team in the 90s like the Arena league Milwaukee Mustangs.

Then have the Comets go BFBS (black for black's sake, look at the Arizona Firebirds in this thread or what the Minnesota Timberwolves did in 1996/97 as an example) in the early 2000s.

Four more teams moved the the lighter uniform template.  The Minneota Angels, Boston Captains, New Orleans Krewe, and California Whales will take the field in new unis in 1991, though the changes, if any, were superficial.

Angels - the Northwestern strips are now at the end of the sleeves instead of in the middle, and a light blue outline was added to the name on back of the white jersey.

1991_minnesota_angels_uniform_by_verasth

Captains -  These were the most significant changes.  The strips got a little thinner to fit on the sleeve, and the black outline was reduced to the point that it's difficult to see except from very close.  A matching stripe pattern was added to the socks.  The green stripe on the pants got thicker and is now outlined in black.

1991_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

Krewe - the placement and size of the sleeve strips was adjusted slightly so that the pattern would still fit.

1991_new_orleans_krewe_uniform_by_verast

Whales - once again, the sleeve strips moved.  They numbers on the front and back of the jerseys are also somewhat smaller than their absurdly oversized predecessors

1991_california_whales_uniform_by_verast

20 hours ago, Veras said:

The Comets are a strong BFBS candidate, because, well, comets... space...

Buzz-Lightyear-Free-Falling-Nooooo-React

Not BLACK FOR BLACK’S SAKE! Anything but THAT!

On the other hand, I would suggest a different logo set and color scheme for the rebels. No visual confederate tie-in, no problem!

The Krewe need a flashy 90s update with like 10 colors and a million sharp points like the NHL Panhers original look.

As for the Whales, they could be a BFBS candidate that would actually make sense (since whales are black and the 1952 old Whales logo actually had a drawing of a black whale)

The updated uniforms look great. I actually really like Bostons look. Reminds me of the NY Jets a little bit. Maybe they will play like them, that'd be great! 

As far as no VB Logo or fields, I understand. Its disappointing because I know the 90s was the start of the great SB logos that started to reflect where the game was played. Rather than just red white blue shield with SB XXV or what not. But you gotta do what is best for you. Just know that theres no rush on our part for you to get material published. This isnt your job so take your time. 

On 1/29/2019 at 11:19 PM, Veras said:

The Comets have changed their colors and logos every decade.  They're always at the cutting edge of league trends, for better or for worse.  There have been suggestions that they should go eggplant and teal in the thread, though they're also a strong BFBS candidate, because, well, comets... space...

Gotta be honest, I would love to see what the LA Comets would look like going BFBS. I personally think it would fit well as an alternative home uniform then their main one. Like for select games or playoff appearance.

Also I still want the eggplant and teal one as their main one if you still considering it.

Also since I'm still waiting for my California Atoms sig, is there one for the Houston Hurricanes? If not then can you create one please?

I try to keep my offseason writeups between 1000-1200 words, and this one doubled that, so I'll be breaking it up into two posts.

1991 Offseason:  Part 1

USFA

The USFA faced difficult circumstances from opening day.  With players eligible to jump to the AFA after having served three years in the spring league, many of the USFA’s biggest stars headed to the brighter lights of the more established league.  This coincided with a dip in the economy, which devastated several of the less successful teams, particularly the San Jose Spiders, Buffalo Wings, and Brooklyn Privateers.

Making matters worse was a series of PR disasters that befell the league as the season wore on.  Just three weeks before opening day, news broke that the Spiders had been in negotiations to relocate to San Antonio in 1992.  This destroyed fan support in what was already perhaps the least financially stable franchise, and within weeks, the team had to request a loan from the league office to continue play.  As the other owners deliberated, a recording surfaced of a horrendously racist conversation between Tennessee Commandos owner Bubba O’Malley and Utah Pioneers owner (and league co-founder) W.P. Rockwell, in which O’Malley used a number of racial slurs to describe Spiders co-owner Jeremey Simmons, expressly stated his view that financial disaster was the obvious consequence of allowing a non-white team owner, and suggested that he would only be comfortable contributing to a loan if Simmons were pushed out.

Rockwell, for his part, promptly apologized and resigned his leadership position in the league.  O’Malley, did not, stating that he was only “saying what everyone else is thinking.”  The league office attempted to force him out, but lacked a strong legal mechanism to do so, and was therefore unable to act quickly.  Every player and coach in Tennessee walked out, as did a number of big names around the league, including Indiana QB Russell Montague, Jr., Florida OT Erik Hahn, and Utah QB Kyle Nelson.  This also convinced many of the other owners that the league was a sinking ship, which led to the owners failing to approve the loan to San Jose.

By midseason, the USFA was down two teams, the biggest names in the league were refusing to play, and every franchise was losing money.  The owners voted to suspend play prior to week 10, and after a failed effort to hastily arrange a championship game between Louisville and Florida, who had the two best records in the league, the USFA was shut down permanently.

This had an immediate impact on the AFA, as USFA players were released from their contracts just as training camp was beginning.  As a consequence, teams scrambled to sign the more promising names.

Atlanta Rebels

The racial scandal in the USFA brought renewed attention to the already controversial issue of Atlanta’s name and identity, just as the AFA Owner’s Council was about to have its summer meeting.  Milwaukee Wolves owner Tommy Danson had been publicly calling for Rebels owner Sy Jackson to change the name for as long as the team had existed.  When he took over the team in 1981, he immediately began pressuring the AFAOC to force Jackson to sell the team, but had little success.  The move would have required affirmative votes from 21 of the league’s 28 franchises, and this was a difficult argument to make to the owners.  First of all, the council was generally older, with an average age north of 67, and came from a time when such things weren’t widely considered a problem.  More importantly, however, they were reluctant to vote to effectively strip a franchise away from one of their own (though it has happened once before, when Rudy Babineaux was forced out of New Orleans due to a bribery scandal in 1965).  He had consequently failed to even force a vote until 1988, and had never surpassed 16 ayes.

However, with the national attention firmly focused on racism in professional sports, public sentiment shifted, and several of the owners changed their minds as well.  Two weeks before the meeting, Danson announced that he had 20 solid votes, and that two franchises were still on the fence.  This turned out to be Cleveland’s John Luckner and Detroit’s Byron McClellan, who tried to broker an agreement between Danson and Jackson in which the team name would change but not ownership.  The mutual enmity between the two men made compromise impossible.  Danson didn’t trust Jackson to fully move away from Confederate imagery.  Jackson didn’t believe Luckner and McClellan could bring themselves to vote against him, and that everything would be fine once the things died down.  Even if he was wrong about that, he was confident that he could successfully challenge the decision in court.

Jackson’s first assumption turned out to be incorrect, and the council voted 22-6 to force a sale within 12 months.  He immediately sued, and the judge issued a temporary restraining order preventing the sale while the case worked its way through the courts.  This is likely to be a short reprieve for Jackson – virtually all legal scholars agree that the AFA will be victorious.  Either way, the fate of the Atlanta Rebels is likely to be known by season’s end.